PDA

View Full Version : What drop kit?

04silverL
05-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Which drop kit would you guys go with?
1. Roush
2. FRPP
3. Hotchkis

I have an 04 and want at least a 1/3 drop maybe a 2/4 drop.
I would like to see pics of 03/04 with these drops.
Thanks,
Simon

SILVER2000SVT
05-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Are you wanted just to drop it or actually get more performance from your suspension. The Roush and the hotchkis are both good. The Roush is a little lower than the Hotchkis at around a 2/4 on an 03-04 Lightning and is about as low as you would want to practically go IMO. I run roughly a 2/3 on with 2" drop coils in front and Hotchkis leafs and a 2" drop shackle in rear on my 00 so mine is right about where a Roush would sit. If you just want to drop it there are cheaper methods than getting a full performance suspension.

WA 2 FST
05-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I have comparison photos from stock to Roush taken on the same day I did the install. Just take a look at my website in my sig and go to the SVT Lightning page.

I'm very pleased with the Roush setup and the install was easy.

04silverL
05-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the roush kit. I think I am gonna save my money and go with roush. How much performance, cornering did you pick up? Does it feel alot different than stock?

StormShadow
05-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Here is my truck with the Hotchkis

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00700.JPG (javascript:;)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC00703.JPG (javascript:;)

04silverL
05-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Stromshadow,
How much was that and where did you get it? Also, how much of a difference did it make? Do you have to go especially slow over speed bumps?

PoorSvtman
05-07-2005, 06:02 PM
I have 2inch drop springs on my 99 gave it about a 1.5 drop have 2 inch shackles out back..

The ride was good but i wanted lower. Since the springs were cheap i went and cut half a coil and pulled a rear leaf. It rides like a dream minus a blown shock. But It sits a tad lower than roush i believe.

I have qa1s coming, got shock extenders for the rear and put on new bumpstops and sway bar endlinks.

WA 2 FST
05-07-2005, 10:07 PM
On my '99 L I had 2" drop springs in the front and 2" drop hangers in the back, and Bilstein shocks (which were not stock on a '99). I liked it.

However, when I sold that truck and bought my '04, I went with the Roush right off the bat... it is excellent. Handling is much improved over stock, although not considered hardcore "road race" material. It would need more aggressive shocks (the Roush comes with revalved Bilsteins) and sway bars for sure. But the ride is still very good (for me its no compromise over stock), and I like the way it looks.

L8 APEX
05-08-2005, 12:30 AM
If you want to lower and keep a stock ride buy the Roush. If you want to lower it and greatly improve cornering peroformance buy the Hotchkis. We sell both kits depending on what the customer wants. The Hotchkis kit comes with huge anti sway bars and that totally changes the trucks capabilities:bows . The Roush is just lowering springs and shocks no sway bars.

04silverL
05-08-2005, 01:25 AM
L8 APEX,
I will send you an email tomorrow about pricing on both kits.
Thanks,
Simon

StormShadow
05-08-2005, 11:27 AM
If you want to lower it and greatly improve cornering peroformance buy the Hotchkis. The Hotchkis kit comes with huge anti sway bars and that totally changes the trucks capabilities:bows .

What he said, and no I dont have to slow down really slow for speedbumps. The truck still has more clearance than most cars.

Mark #2
05-08-2005, 02:02 PM
If you want to lower and keep a stock ride buy the Roush. If you want to lower it and greatly improve cornering peroformance buy the Hotchkis. We sell both kits depending on what the customer wants. The Hotchkis kit comes with huge anti sway bars and that totally changes the trucks capabilities:bows . The Roush is just lowering springs and shocks no sway bars.

Or you could put the Roush suspension in with Hotchkis sway bars, like me:tongue:

L8 APEX
05-08-2005, 02:11 PM
That was an important step back in the day. Hotchkis has follwed Roush and softened their rear leaf springs so it is not the difference it use to be. The cost of Roush and Hotchkis bars is a bit more than the Hotchkis kit though. I think the bars sell seperately for $450 plus shipping.

Tex Arcana
05-08-2005, 06:22 PM
For waht it's worth, I drove Brooke's (lyfsin?) truck, with the Roush setup, and I loved it!! The ride characteristics weren't any rougher than the stock setup, and the turn-in was much crisper and the overall handling felt more planted and controllable, with much better cornering overall.

Personally, I'll go with the Roush, and if I need more aggressive sway bars, I'll put on the HOtchkiss bars. But that's said without having driven one with the Hotckiss kit, either, so take this with a grain of salt. :tu:

sharkbite1979
05-10-2005, 06:52 PM
perfect stance StormShadow - beautiful!

Mark #2
05-10-2005, 07:39 PM
That was an important step back in the day. Hotchkis has follwed Roush and softened their rear leaf springs so it is not the difference it use to be. The cost of Roush and Hotchkis bars is a bit more than the Hotchkis kit though. I think the bars sell seperately for $450 plus shipping.

That was the problem the Hotchkis was way too stiff in the rear, the front springs were almost the same. I have noticed that Roush as softened their rear springs since I bought mine also.
Mark

L8 APEX
05-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Yeah the current Roush is softer than stock in the shocks and close in the springs.

04silverL
05-19-2005, 10:25 AM
I think I have decided to go with the Hotchkis setup. Guys that have this kit, what are your overall impressions of it? How is it for daily driving and hard driving?
Thanks,
Simon