PDA

View Full Version : About to clean intercooler. Any Tips?

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Never done this before, I think im going to go ahead and put breathers on the PVC system also, any advice from others? or anyone want to stop by and help??

Mark #2
06-18-2005, 04:52 PM
I would only ask why, and I would not put breathers on, leans out A/F, unless you are sure that you're blocking all of the PCV function, which is also bad for long term engine health.
Mark

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Why clean the intercooler? Look at the pics.

I just finished and decided on not putting on the breathers and leaving the PVC system stock. It seems to have made a difference, runs better. My intercooler was caked in oil, and my teflon coating is almost all gone. Here are some Pics.

The first pic, I spilled a little intercooler fluid removing the IC.

mvc-604f.jpg

mvc-608f.jpg

mvc-610f.jpg

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Here is after some cleaning. Look at how much teflon coating is gone, I had to pick pieces of teflon off on the top of the intercooler.

mvc-613f.jpg

mvc-616f.jpg

mvc-621f.jpg

Mark #2
06-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Okay, cool, now it is clean. Obviously no down side, but it will look the same very soon, put an oil separator in the stock PCV system.
Mark

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Okay, cool, now it is clean. Obviously no down side, but it will look the same very soon, put an oil separator in the stock PCV system.
Mark

Im going to get a seperator tomorrow. Is there one that you might suggest?

Mark #2
06-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Im going to get a seperator tomorrow. Is there one that you might suggest?
They are all the same, air compressor separators, also a sprinkler head screen in the drivers side valve cover helps as well.
Mark

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the tip mark I'll give that a shot.

PoorSvtman
06-19-2005, 04:23 PM
if your going to do the separators atleast get one that is designed for oil. Not the typical air/water ones that everyone runs and will clog up after awhile

Mark #2
06-19-2005, 04:28 PM
if your going to do the separators atleast get one that is designed for oil. Not the typical air/water ones that everyone runs and will clog up after awhile

Air compressor filters are designed for oil and water. Just clean at every oil change IMHO. I haven't found a good alternative.

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-19-2005, 04:52 PM
is everyone else loosing the teflon coating as bad as mine? - see pic

PoorSvtman
06-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Air compressor filters are designed for oil and water. Just clean at every oil change IMHO. I haven't found a good alternative.

That is true. But they are designed for thiner oils, not motor oil that is thick. I went through a few different separators and they all kept clogging up. Thats why i went with the breathers and elimenating the pvc system... Yea im sure the breathers will hurt the motors life in the LONG run... but well runing 15lbs of boost is also hurting the life of the motor in the LONG run. Im at 105k miles on a stock block and tranny that still can chirp the heck out of the tires on the 1-2 shift.... I figured im pushing my limits these days anyway.

Mark #2
06-19-2005, 05:49 PM
That is true. But they are designed for thiner oils, not motor oil that is thick. I went through a few different separators and they all kept clogging up. Thats why i went with the breathers and elimenating the pvc system... Yea im sure the breathers will hurt the motors life in the LONG run... but well runing 15lbs of boost is also hurting the life of the motor in the LONG run. Im at 105k miles on a stock block and tranny that still can chirp the heck out of the tires on the 1-2 shift.... I figured im pushing my limits these days anyway.

I agree with all of your statements, me too, at 18 psi on stock block.
If you change your oil often and don't do a lot of stop and go driving eliminating the PCV system is not a lot more risk, but you can't pass emissions where I live.

PoorSvtman
06-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree with all of your statements, me too, at 18 psi on stock block.
If you change your oil often and don't do a lot of stop and go driving eliminating the PCV system is not a lot more risk, but you can't pass emissions where I live.

I hear you on the emissions inspection... But I realy dont have a problem passing inspection. :evil