PDA

View Full Version : which one to choose

BS7656
08-02-2005, 04:03 PM
for performance wise which is better: to replace an upper pulley or the lower pulley and swap it out with a high performance one. Also Ive been told that if both are done that you have a really good chance of blowing your engine is this true. Ive only had my baby for about 3 months so I am trying to get the best opinions so I can take my time figure out what i want then make it happen. Thanks for the imput

SpeedyBolt
08-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Most blown motors are caused from the tune not being very good! There are plenty of people on here that have switched both the upper and lower pulley's and no problems yet. Give Terry at Performance Resarch a call and he can get you on the right track. (214)923-0045
I would look at a cold air intake before I switched pulley's though!

BTW don't change pulley's without getting a new tune!

BS7656
08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I already did the intake it sounds really good even at idle you can hear the air being sucked in like crazy. I have just invested and waiting for my borreli exhaust system to come in i guess it has to come from cali though. thanks for the advise

PUMP
08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
My opinion is that the Eaton SC is limited as much by the stock aftercooler heat exchanger as it is by the pulley size. Unless you also get a better than stock heat exchanger the Eaton unit is maxed out at between 10 to 12 psi boost. The performance increase at 14-psi boost (6-pound over stock) is not that much moore due to signigicant increase in manifold temperature. Which is why it is criticle to get the proper tune.

WA 2 FST
08-02-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree with Robert on this one.

Brian, if you're going to achieve the same boost level by going with an upper _or_ a lower, then I would strongly recommend doing the lower pulley. It's easier to install and remove, and you get better "belt wrap" by going with a lower vs. an upper which means less potential for belt slippage at higher rpms.

A 4# lower + CAI + a good tune = 40-45rwhp/50-60rwtq gain. You can feel it, it won't hurt the engine at all, and you'll never look back. :)

dboat
08-02-2005, 08:02 PM
My opinion is that the Eaton SC is limited as much by the stock aftercooler heat exchanger as it is by the pulley size. Unless you also get a better than stock heat exchanger the Eaton unit is maxed out at between 10 to 12 psi boost. The performance increase at 14-psi boost (6-pound over stock) is not that much moore due to signigicant increase in manifold temperature. Which is why it is criticle to get the proper tune.

I dont totally disagree but if you have a ported Eaton, then the temp drops enough to be ok.. you wont need the aftermarket cooler unless you are really racing it a lot..if you are a street driver, then prob not needed.. IMHO..
Dana

SpeedyBolt
08-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Well, I have a ported blower and a aftermarket heat exchanger. I feel the cooler the better. ANY extra boost should be cooled through a better heat excanger IMO.

If you go with the lower pulley I would go with the Metco interchangable system. You will be able to switch boost levels in just minutes.

You can get all you need from Terry. Just give him a call!

BC Lightning
08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
stock blower, 2.8 upper pulley, 6# lower pulley, LFP heat exchanger and no problems :D

although I'm going with a ported blower, Fluidyne Heat Exchanger, 60# injectors before L fest

dboat
08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
stock blower, 2.8 upper pulley, 6# lower pulley, LFP heat exchanger and no problems :D

although I'm going with a ported blower, Fluidyne Heat Exchanger, 60# injectors before L fest

Why the change in Heat Exchangers? just curious.

BC Lightning
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
fluidyne is bigger and cools faster than the lfp, lfp cools faster than stock, no real reason :cool:

wesman
08-04-2005, 07:15 PM
fluidyne is bigger and cools faster than the lfp, lfp cools faster than stock, no real reason :cool:

Any scientific data to back that up? or did someone hear it somewhere on the internet?

--wes

PoorSvtman
08-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Any scientific data to back that up? or did someone hear it somewhere on the internet?

--wes

BINGO... I realy dont see the point in a heat exhanger... I mean it will be good for cooling while driving... But sitting still after a run at the track even with a fan on cant be much better than a stock one. Yes more fluid is better but i cant justify the price for the gain you get. I do plan on getting one but its at the bottom of the list for me.