PDA

View Full Version : 6#… Diablo and open air on my son’s H/D… WOW

rickgig
08-06-2005, 07:37 AM
My son lives in Georgia and this past weekend I during a visit there, he bought some goodies and wanted me to put them on: plugs, open-air filter and tube, 6# pulley and Diablo Sport tuner (Terry… some kids don’t listen to their father and buy what they want anyway!).

Talk about waking up a vehicle!

He has 34 thousand miles on it and some a few of the plugs were so bad I am surprised it ran as well as it did. I’ve changed mine twice and have it down to about 2 hours but what is up with the Harley engine. Granted I made him do the work but it seems the fuel rail was in the way tons more than on my L. Nearly 6 hours start to finish. ARGH.

Open-air, tube and plugs in… made a significant improvement in performance.

Now for the pulley… seeing how this was my first solo (Wes helped me with mine) I was pretty pumped to do the job. I’m not big but I am not small either. After the two of trying to get the pulley off with no success I decided to do the foot method. Grabbed the drivers side tire and pushed with my feet and legs and presto, it came off. My knee is healing and I should be off crutches soon (JK on the crutches).

Plugged in the tuner and went through the prompts. Checked everything again… fired it up and took it for a spin. This was reminiscent of the days of LS6 454’s and 426 Hemi’s. The tires broke in first (easily) second (kept spinning) and I am not sure but with the grinning going on I thought I felt it in third too.

Needless to say… my son thinks he’s quicker than me now. So I told him to go to the track once it’s tuned properly and we’ll compare time slips.

Here’s my question… Terry recommends the SCT and I understand why. The Diablo has a setting for 91 and 93 octane called performance tune for trucks with lower pulley changes. I think the range for total boost was 12 – 16 and he is certainly within that range (stock HD is 6 plus his 6#’er is 12 the way I count). We set if for the 93 octane and now I am thinking we should go with the 91 setting. My thought here is too much timing in the 93 setting versus the 91. So who can give insight on this for me? I told my son not to get on it too much until he gets it tuned properly. I am really nevous about the tune the Diablo gave him and don't want him to throw a rod.

dboat
08-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Oh come on, Live dangerously.... :evil

actually, being the big chicken that I am, I would change the tune too..

Dana

Avalanche
08-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I run the Diablo Predator and they now have an updated revision that allows you to adjust the timing, A/F, fuel trims and much more it is a free download and it takes about 20 mins to update. I would recommend if you already have the Predator to do this but if you do not care about it or can afford it then I would get Terry to setup you up with an SCT.

rickgig
08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Oh come on, Live dangerously.... :evil

actually, being the big chicken that I am, I would change the tune too..

Dana

Can you say BOOM!

He's in the military and he's get to see thing blow up all the time... I don't think his motor is one he'd like to see.

That's why I am thinking setting to the 91 octane tune for less (?) timing. I'm hoping someone can verify this for me.

rickgig
08-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I run the Diablo Predator and they now have an updated revision that allows you to adjust the timing, A/F, fuel trims and much more it is a free download and it takes about 20 mins to update. I would recommend if you already have the Predator to do this but if you do not care about it or can afford it then I would get Terry to setup you up with an SCT.

Saw that when I went to their website... just gotta get a serial cable (I think).

I guess the unit is okay if you have someone that knows what they are doing. I think he's heading to someone in Atlanta today. Don't know who's there but apparently a bud of his with a Cobra recommended the guy.