PDA

View Full Version : Just how silly is this idea?

dboat
08-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I was thinking about the Lightning Concept that Ford had put out there originally. The reason is that I was thinking about the way they had engineered the intercooler to be cooled by the a/c system and that the cold charge of air from the cold intercooler was like a shot of nitrous except it was rechargeable.

So then I am thinking, well if you are racing and then you come back to the pits, why couldnt you put dry ice in the intercooler to cool down the fluid? It wouldnt dilute the fluid but would immediately drop the temp. Then I am thinking that this might actually work.

Just how crazy is this idea? :confused:

Dana

BC Lightning
08-12-2005, 09:44 PM
you would have to have a way for the vapor to escape, or else you would have too much pressure and blow the top or a hose off

wesman
08-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Powercoolers/Supercoolers are the next best thing

--wes

dboat
08-13-2005, 04:20 AM
you would have to have a way for the vapor to escape, or else you would have too much pressure and blow the top or a hose off

doesnt the cap on the tank work the same way as a cap on the radiator work? if so, then the excess pressure would escape. but even if you just kept the cap loose, and kept putting in pieces and let it drop the temp, at least you could have a tank of very cold fluid.. without any mess.

PUMP
08-13-2005, 11:25 AM
doesnt the cap on the tank work the same way as a cap on the radiator work? if so, then the excess pressure would escape. but even if you just kept the cap loose, and kept putting in pieces and let it drop the temp, at least you could have a tank of very cold fluid.. without any mess.
The problem is that, under pressure, some or all of the CO2 gas is absorbed by the coolant, which probably will lower the specific heat of the coolant, and may also make it corrosive. You would need to come up with a scavanger system to vent the co2 gas without dropping the system pressure.
How about making the surge tank with a heat sink depression (kind of a double wall bath tub arrangement). Then you put the dry ice in the tub, the dry ice absorbs heat from the coolant fluid and evaporates, leaving the coolant chemically unchanged but cooler.

dboat
08-13-2005, 11:39 AM
The problem is that, under pressure, some or all of the CO2 gas is absorbed by the coolant, which probably will lower the specific heat of the coolant, and may also make it corrosive. You would need to come up with a scavanger system to vent the co2 gas without dropping the system pressure.
How about making the surge tank with a heat sink depression (kind of a double wall bath tub arrangement). Then you put the dry ice in the tub, the dry ice absorbs heat from the coolant fluid and evaporates, leaving the coolant chemically unchanged but cooler.

Thats kinda what I had in mind.. I was just wondering if anyone has tried something like this.. Terry? Rocks? Doug? Dennis?

at least it sounds like I am not totally crazy.

Avalanche
08-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I have something along the lines of what you are talking about. I have an external radiator that is surrounded with alcohol and water mixture and then I put dry ice in that mixture it then pulls the heat out of the fluid as it passes through the radiator on to the heat exchanger. I go through about 10 lbs of dry ice inabout 5 hours though.

I had to relocate my battery for the new mod butI have had it for almost two years and it works good. If I put some dry ice in the mixture inthe staging lanes I will see alittle increate in my avaliable boost but the real benifent I think is that I can reduce my coolant temp.

BLACKSUNSHINE
08-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Dry ice is fun. Honestly for some reason it gets colder with very icy water.
dry-ice.jpg

dry-ice2.jpg

Ivanhoe_Farms
08-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I was thinking about the Lightning Concept that Ford had put out there originally. The reason is that I was thinking about the way they had engineered the intercooler to be cooled by the a/c system and that the cold charge of air from the cold intercooler was like a shot of nitrous except it was rechargeable.

So then I am thinking, well if you are racing and then you come back to the pits, why couldnt you put dry ice in the intercooler to cool down the fluid? It wouldnt dilute the fluid but would immediately drop the temp. Then I am thinking that this might actually work.

Just how crazy is this idea? :confused:

Dana

Why don't you get a nitrous valve, put coils in the tank, and cool the water with liquid nitrogen, -453 degrees F. It wouldn't take much of a shot to cool everything down.:tu:

L8 APEX
08-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Ford had an extra evap core like putting the rear A/C under the blower for the "shot of cold". The problem was it would condensate and tracks don't really like water on the track. The large 10-15gal tanks in the bed are the best like what JDM runs in FFW. Dry ice would make too much pressure and not enough cooling. NOS is the best cooler you can buy:tu:

03LightningRocks
08-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I am not a big fan of the power coolers, but if you go that route, I would recommend you rig a switch to turn off the fan for the heat exchanger(if you have a fan). I would also block off the front of the heat exchanger to keep warm ambient air from moving through it. I was thinking some more...:cool: . Maybe you could rig a bypass valve of some sort to bypass the front heat exchanger for the times you are using your power cooler.

I have believed that one reason for the ice melting so fast is the heat exchanger in the front of the truck. Heat always moves to cool. Using ice to cool the fluid to 40 degrees is great, but pumping that fluid through a big coil that draws the ambient air across it is dumb.

I am with Terry on NOS. If you want cooler intake air, no better way than NOS. I have also been considering one of the Snow systems...

Rocks:tu: