PDA

View Full Version : LightningFest Convoy Routes?

tliss
08-31-2005, 09:29 PM
OK, For You Guys Going to LightningFest ONLY!!!

I started looking into this. Rumor has is I-35 into OK is loaded with construction that will cause delays, so I have been exploring alternate routes. I found one route that will take us to Joplin, MO and into KC/Independence...total mileage...471 miles from McKinney. This will be up US-75, US-69, etc.

From Denton via the same route we took last year...~520.

So the question I have is do we want to go the same route we did last year and risk the construction or should we take this new route through some highways I am not familiar with (ie could be 2-lane roads for all I know)?

Tom

BS7656
08-31-2005, 09:37 PM
what about stopping and getting something to eat or also gas is there a set place or whats going on and also what is the cost of this

Sixpipes
08-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Up Hwy 75 to Hwy 69 is a pretty good way to go.......but not if you have 20+ trucks trying to stay together. If we are looking for an alternate route I'd stay on 75 all the way. But I still think the OKC/Wichita route is the best for a caravan. :cool:

Ivanhoe_Farms
08-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Up Hwy 75 to Hwy 69 is a pretty good way to go.......but not if you have 20+ trucks trying to stay together. If we are looking for an alternate route I'd stay on 75 all the way. But I still think the OKC/Wichita route is the best for a caravan. :cool:

If you are going to try to keep 20-30 trucks together, it almost has to be 4-lane roads all the way. At any rate, three of us will either join you in Sherman or Gainesville -- two gen 2s and one gen 1 :beer: All three will be RED --- and one will be POPI:tu:

98Cobra
09-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Its not a rumor - construction starts in Gainesville and ends in Marietta, OK. Its about 15 miles into OK. However, Gainesville is the choke point, and I know a short cut around the traffic once we get close. It will be difficult to keep everyone together through there though.

tliss
09-01-2005, 07:07 AM
I think it's going to be hard to keep everyone together anyway. Let's see what the poll results show and go from there. I personally want a shorter route, but that's just me.

Tom

Sixpipes
09-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Dragging a trailer up Hwy 75 or 69 would be a big pain. And as much as I travel in a car, believe me, fewer miles does not necessarily mean less time. It doesn't take some of us very long to clip off the extra miles when we get to Kansas. :D I'm going up !-35 today so I'll check it out.

tliss
09-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Dragging a trailer up Hwy 75 or 69 would be a big pain. And as much as I travel in a car, believe me, fewer miles does not necessarily mean less time. It doesn't take some of us very long to clip off the extra miles when we get to Kansas. :D I'm going up !-35 today so I'll check it out.

OK...good deal. Check gas prices too....make sure we don't have to give up body parts to get up to Kansas :rll:

Tom

tliss
09-01-2005, 08:36 AM
what about stopping and getting something to eat or also gas is there a set place or whats going on and also what is the cost of this

Believe, me, we'll make a few stops...mostly for gas. Last year we stopped just inside Kansas at a travel stop with a McDs there. As you can see, we are determining route now, so that will dictate where the meeting place is. Cost will obviously be gas (at the rate we're going this will be $300-400 round trip), lodging (about $75/night), food (depends on how much your eat...you could live off McDs all weekend and pay about $50 for food or so), alcohol (we go through a lot of this over this weekend) and event entry (I think it is about $100).

Bottom line is it is worth every penny as far as I am concerned.:tu:

Tom

SILVER2000SVT
09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Everytime I travel I try to take the smaller roads, to me it's less stressfull and the scenery is usually better than on the big roads. 50 miles is a pretty big difference. It will likely be faster but even if it takes the same amout of time or possible a little longer, the slower speeds will help conserve gas as long as theres not a whole lot of small town stop lights. As cool as it is, I don't think its that big a deal if we aren't in one huge pack. We just need to have our route and stops planned so everybody will know for those that get seperated.

Tobbun
09-01-2005, 11:38 AM
All the lights and small towns that you constantly have to go through... It isn't all that bad if you are driving solo, but with a convoy it would be bad. I did that route for 6 months when I was doing a gig at a little retailer in Bentonville.

What about going east first? I30?

I think it would be best to stay on highway even if it slows down for traffic/construction...

Besides construction is nothing new in OK... I hear they named the Orangel Barrel the official bush of OK.

G'Lightning
09-01-2005, 01:28 PM
OK, For You Guys Going to LightningFest ONLY!!!

I started looking into this. Rumor has is I-35 into OK is loaded with construction that will cause delays, so I have been exploring alternate routes. I found one route that will take us to Joplin, MO and into KC/Independence...total mileage...471 miles from McKinney. This will be up US-75, US-69, etc.

From Denton via the same route we took last year...~520.

So the question I have is do we want to go the same route we did last year and risk the construction or should we take this new route through some highways I am not familiar with (ie could be 2-lane roads for all I know)?

Tom I took that route to K.C. a couple of months ago. And yes it is shorter in milage but it took me about 1 1/2- 2 hours more time. Going through OK lots of small towns limit your speed to 35-40 for a few miles plus cops are EVERYWHERE!!!. But its 2 lane mostly and get stuck behind 10 or so trucks going 60 its hard to get past. Just my experience with that route. :beer:

Sixpipes
09-01-2005, 09:06 PM
FYI - I went up I-35 to Davis, OK today and there is only about a 10 mile section under construction (mostly bridges), Even though northbound traffic was single lane, I still averaged 65 mph through there at about 8:30 in the morning. :cool:

TP Derrick D
09-01-2005, 11:30 PM
If its only 10 miles I think we should try it. The interstate will give us better time,gas & food choices and more road space.

FRDRCING
09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
If its only 10 miles I think we should try it. The interstate will give us better time,gas & food choices and more road space.

I agree, are luck we get up into Oklahoma and get on some two lane road in the middle of no were and someone get's a flat :hammer:

sonicbluetommy
09-03-2005, 12:48 AM
This is the route I take back to Springfield when I go back every 4 or 5 weeks. True it is shorter and a little faster BUT (a ghetto booty, Queen Latifa size butt) you have to run thru about 15 small towns---you will get seperated, you have to deal with several speed traps--FUNNY STORY :ron: One of the speed traps evidently pissed off the local farmer who has a semi trailer sitting in his field on the side of the highway and painted on the side in 4 foot high letters it says "Speed Trap Ahead". :ron:

And currently there is some major construction thru one of the bigger towns. The highway is down to single lanes for several miles in the middle of town.

And the roads are S**T. I drive in the fast lane (which is way smoother) as much as possible and I still get beat to death and my suspension is stock except for the 2" shackle drop.

Stick to 35, it worked pretty well last year---"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

sonicbluetommy
09-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Everytime I travel I try to take the smaller roads, to me it's less stressfull and the scenery is usually better than on the big roads. 50 miles is a pretty big difference. It will likely be faster but even if it takes the same amout of time or possible a little longer, the slower speeds will help conserve gas as long as theres not a whole lot of small town stop lights. As cool as it is, I don't think its that big a deal if we aren't in one huge pack. We just need to have our route and stops planned so everybody will know for those that get seperated.

There are a crap load of small towns with plenty of stop lights and lots of 35 mph speed limits.......you won't make much better time in the end.

sonicbluetommy
09-03-2005, 01:00 AM
But there are a couple of sections that can be fun! One has a center median for about 30 miles and almost no exits, the cops can't cross the median and they rarely patrol this section. I tend to make up about 25mph on that stretch. Then there is the turnpike......aahhhh, smooth as glass and that center median again! But the OK Hwy Patrol cruises this a lot. Really gotta keep an eye open so you don't pass one!!!!