PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Octane tuning article

LivinEZ
09-13-2005, 12:52 PM
As a new L owner, I notice the trucks state premium fuel only. I was wondering how important this is for our trucks in daily performance and found the following article.

http://www.competitionplus.com/06_17_2004/octane_tuning.html

Can anyone share their knowledge/experience with 87 vs 91/93?

Thanks!

Mark #2
09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Can you save money at the pump by running regular gas in an engine designed for premium? Unfortunately, the answer is no. Hypertech's Power Tuning program for high-performance, high-compression engines such as the LS1 Corvette and supercharged Mustang GT(and Lightning) are calibrated only for premium fuel.

If you've purchased a high-performance vehicle designed to run on premium fuel, you'll have to continue to pay a premium for its performance capabilities.

Silver_2000
09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
As a new L owner, I notice the trucks state premium fuel only. I was wondering how important this is for our trucks in daily performance and found the following article.

http://www.competitionplus.com/06_17_2004/octane_tuning.html

Can anyone share their knowledge/experience with 87 vs 91/93?

Thanks!

One important diffeence is that the Lightning requires Premium from the factory

Terry from performance research was advertising an 87 octane tune the other day ... He may have been kidding though ...
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9296

SILVER2000SVT
09-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Just on a general discussion...If tuned for premium fuel over 87 Octane a vehicle will not only make more power but also run more efficient and therefore get better gas mileage (if you can keep your foot out of it). Some cars like my daily driver will actually compensate for the difference. This is where you need to look a the price at the pump. When gas was $1.50 per gallon for 87, premium fuel was $.20 higher which is 13% higher. But now at $3.00 per gallon for 87, premium fuel is still $.20 higher, and therefore now only 7% more expensive than 87 Octane. People now need to start looking at miles/dollar instead of miles/gallon. I'm not saying we are there yet but it may work out for some vehicles now, at least it is something to consider in the future. On some cars that will compensate or can be tuned to run on premium it may work out to be cheaper to run on premium gas.

One thing for sure though is that if you were having to buy premium fuel before it's only getting cheaper to keep using it as fuel costs go up. (as compared to additional amount you have to pay for 87 vs premium):D

L8 APEX
09-13-2005, 10:17 PM
You can get away with 87 if you drive like granny with no boost. Most stock trucks will slide by on 91. But if you want to drive it like a Lightning 93 is best. Due to our relatively low elevation (350-800ft) cylinder pressures are a btit higher than most states. I can make a 87 octane tune.

FRDRCING
09-13-2005, 10:21 PM
With not beign able to get 93 up in oklahoma and kansas City for that matter. How will the trucks do with just some 91 on a 93 tune?

L8 APEX
09-13-2005, 10:29 PM
I recommend my customers run their cold tunes. Even highway driving leans out the fuel maps through adaptive strategy. I think that was partly the reason for my JDM $9400 built motor JDM tuned failing on the last trip:hammer: . I told him I was going to run 140 for hours on end and he did not listen when he tuned my chip:rolleyes:

QDRHRSE
09-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm kind of surprised that anyone who would buy something like a lightning would even consider using anything but premium. I'm not trying to insult anybody but a Lightning isn't exactly a station wagon. How could you not put super in something with a supercharger or turbo? That's just plain silly. Why buy a relatively expensive sport truck if you can't afford to fill it up?

SILVER2000-

What a great point about the relative price of Premium! I never thought of it that way.

LivinEZ
09-14-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm kind of surprised that anyone who would buy something like a lightning would even consider using anything but premium. I'm not trying to insult anybody but a Lightning isn't exactly a station wagon. How could you not put super in something with a supercharger or turbo? That's just plain silly. Why buy a relatively expensive sport truck if you can't afford to fill it up?

SILVER2000-

What a great point about the relative price of Premium! I never thought of it that way.

Because knowledge is power. As a new L owner I want to know how anything or any change would affect the truck.

Thank you to those that had some good input. I greatly appreciate it!

Tex Arcana
09-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Just on a general discussion...If tuned for premium fuel over 87 Octane a vehicle will not only make more power but also run more efficient and therefore get better gas mileage (if you can keep your foot out of it). Some cars like my daily driver will actually compensate for the difference. This is where you need to look a the price at the pump. When gas was $1.50 per gallon for 87, premium fuel was $.20 higher which is 13% higher. But now at $3.00 per gallon for 87, premium fuel is still $.20 higher, and therefore now only 7% more expensive than 87 Octane. People now need to start looking at miles/dollar instead of miles/gallon. I'm not saying we are there yet but it may work out for some vehicles now, at least it is something to consider in the future. On some cars that will compensate or can be tuned to run on premium it may work out to be cheaper to run on premium gas.

One thing for sure though is that if you were having to buy premium fuel before it's only getting cheaper to keep using it as fuel costs go up. (as compared to additional amount you have to pay for 87 vs premium):D

THis is the smartest thing I"ve seen in the thread yet, with Terry's "granny-driving" comment the next one.

When I was driving beaters for my copier-service job, I would use super unleaded all the time to keep the motors running better. I got better fuel milage, and less detonation, than with 87 or even 89. But people thought I was nuts; call me crazy, I just do NOT like detonation! :tu:

BLACKSUNSHINE
09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
My predator has an 87 "pulley" tune for it....go figure (who wants to slap on a 4 or 6# and tune it for 87) Im broke and can barely afford to drive my L anymore. But will I tune it to 87? no, I bought a lightning and expect max performance out of it at all times. As far as 87 on a stock motor...well its up to the owner but your really not saving that much, the engine should be more efficiant anyways with the octane level it was built for.