PDA

View Full Version : Slicks info...

Tex Arcana
09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the first heat put into that set of slicks I have? If I can't do it without going to a track (read: cheap), I'll probably have to sell the set, and hopefully make enough to get a set of r-compounds.

Thanks in avance.

StormShadow
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
:confused: I don't get the question?

Tex Arcana
09-20-2005, 02:55 PM
:confused: I don't get the question?

You can't take road-racing slicks out onto the track first without putting what's called their "first heat" into them, which is a heat cycle to activate the rubber compound for maximum adhesion and wear; if this cycle isn't done, the slicks won't stick as well and won't last as long.

Make sense now?? :tu:

Mark #2
09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
I have done this in parking lot before, drive in a tight circle one way for 5 min, then the other way for 5 min, drive home allow to cool.

Then on your first trip to the track short stint the tires on the first session.

Tex Arcana
09-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I have done this in parking lot before, drive in a tight circle one way for 5 min, then the other way for 5 min, drive home allow to cool.

Then on your first trip to the track short stint the tires on the first session.

Is this recommended with full slicks?? I mean, wouldn't the slightest little crap in the road puncture them?? :(

Mark #2
09-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Is this recommended with full slicks?? I mean, wouldn't the slightest little crap in the road puncture them?? :(

No, all tracks have rocks on them.
What do you have?
I have done this with Hoosiers on a 911 in the high school parking lot.

Tex Arcana
09-20-2005, 04:42 PM
No, all tracks have rocks on them.
What do you have?
I have done this with Hoosiers on a 911 in the high school parking lot.

Goodyears, 27x11x18 iirc, on a full set of 01/02 rims, never run. I'd like to use 'em this weekend, unless someone talks me out of it, into selling them and getting R-compounds (tho the weather this weekend might preclude using slicks)

dboat
09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
So Tex,
you a road racing guy and not a drag racing guy? just didnt know..

that new tune of yours should help... :D

Dana

Tex Arcana
09-20-2005, 10:38 PM
So Tex,
you a road racing guy and not a drag racing guy? just didnt know..

that new tune of yours should help... :D

Dana

On the open track, for sure, but I need bigger brakes, too. :(

Since I"ll be autocrossing Sunday, and I never get out of 2nd anyway (hell, I LAUNCH in second!!), it'll help nicely if I can keep the tires from vaporizing. :d