PDA

View Full Version : How do L's run on Nitrous?

QDRHRSE
10-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Anybody run nitrous? I'm thinking of running a small 80hp dry shot of nitrous instead of running a 6lb pulley ring....maybe I'll run a 2lb ring. Anyway, I came with the idea for my mustang as an alternative to an intercooler. With the L it makes more sense to me to have a small squirt of nitrous occasionaly rather than always running the blower hard. The nitrous will make the intake charge ice cold but will it hurt the supercharger? On a 5.0 the nitrous goes in after the blower. I don't see a way of doing that with the L. Can somebody help me out? Is this a feasable idea?

Thanks,

Tom

tiffo60
10-21-2005, 11:34 AM
i know of a few people over on nloc that are running nitrous with pulleys and arent having any problems, with them just have a good tune for the nitrous

BC Lightning
10-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Anybody run nitrous? I'm thinking of running a small 80hp dry shot of nitrous instead of running a 6lb pulley ring....maybe I'll run a 2lb ring. Anyway, I came with the idea for my mustang as an alternative to an intercooler. With the L it makes more sense to me to have a small squirt of nitrous occasionaly rather than always running the blower hard. The nitrous will make the intake charge ice cold but will it hurt the supercharger? On a 5.0 the nitrous goes in after the blower. I don't see a way of doing that with the L. Can somebody help me out? Is this a feasable idea?

Thanks,

Tom

I would say with a 4# ring and NOS depending on the shot, nothing more than 75 jet on stock internals. With the right tune and shot it really does cool down. I'd say go for it! :tu:

QDRHRSE
10-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Perfect! I just picked up a brand new Edelbrock dry 80hp kit! I have a predator but I think that I will hook up with Terry and order an SCT.

Thanks for the input! Anybody else? Somebody think its a bad idea?

02BOLT
10-21-2005, 01:11 PM
It's completely up to you bro. I'm not a big fan of nitrous due to its blatant unpredictability. For that reason alone, I wouldn't do it unless you have an extra motor lying around, because what I have seen with these trucks and nitrous over the last four years, is that sooner or later something's gonna give.....and it's usually two or three connecting rods.

Don't get me wrong, the truck will haul a$$, but if a nitrous solenoid sticks or an injector so much as hiccups, it's buy buy motor. On the other hand, it's one hell of an excuse to drop in a built motor.:evil

Goodluck with 'er.

Shiner1
10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
I ran a 125 wet shot, N2O side of the chip, #4 and the usual bolt-ons. Never had a problem. I also checked/changed the plugs frequently. Checked the AF on the dyno regularly (3-4 times a year). etc, etc... You can't eliminate every hazard but I felt like I was doing a good job to prevent stupid problems. I'm no N2O expert but I did some research into different systems before I bought mine and I thought the Zex system was the best bet. The CPU for that system is supposed to control the fuel/N2O mixture to ensure that there is no loss of fuel. That doesn't make it fail safe but as I said before I never once in the two years I was using it did I ever have a problem. I would probably contribute it more towards care and maintaining the equipment. Rob is right though, anything can break at anytime and it was a blast to drive.

L8 APEX
10-21-2005, 06:51 PM
I say don't run NOS unless you are ready to buy a motor, period. If so then run a quality WET shot as the stock injectors and pumps are already under high demand. There are a LOT of electrical connections and pieces that must be installed with some professionalism. I have seen throw in systems running off a cigarette lighter plug and momentary switch:rolleyes: .

QDRHRSE
10-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Terry,

I have seen the kit that you are talking about (with the power coming from the cigarette lighter). I think compucar makes it. The bottle is mounted on a piece of plywood and then put in a duffle bag to conceal it. They actually sell it that way.

Anyway, I don't know anything about Lightnings yet but I find it hard to believe that the 2 190lph pumps would overwhelmed....the 42lb injectors yes. I am, however, putting in a new motor and tranny in a couple of weeks. Does somebody make a good HD tranny overhaul kit? Also, I plan to do some light towing occasionally...I will need to retain a stock type converter? Does anybody sell a reasonable stock replacement converter? How much is the latest SCT? Can you set up a nitrous program?

Back to nitrous.....Why do you prefer wet systems? I have a lot of experience using the NX wet kits and honestly I like dry kits better. I have had problems with puddling with wet kits

Since you are a professional I am objectively posing all these questions- not arguing.

QDRHRSE
10-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey,

I have another question. How do you race an L? Do you just leave in Drive? How the heck do you shift it when you're racing? I realize that might be the dumbest question you guys have ever heard but I really want to know.

Tom

diablolightning
10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
just leave it in drive launch at about 1100-1300rpm. asuming you have a stock converter

FRDRCING
10-21-2005, 10:07 PM
If you do go with a Nos set up, Check out Race Tested's kit. I have not heard anything bad about it. Denny over there is the man when it comes to N2o

2000L
10-22-2005, 11:20 PM
I run a Race Tested 150i kit myself. I am very pleased with it. Denny at Race Tested hands down has the best customer service I have ever seen. My truck is very consistant on the nitrous and has had no problems. I have about 25 passes on the nitrous now. I run a 6lb lower and 75shot, and will soon through the 100shot jets at. Just need to upgrade my tuning software as I am still running an old Autologic chip with a street tune.

QDRHRSE
10-23-2005, 03:12 PM
2000L-

We should hook up. You are practically my neighbor! Do you ever take your truck to LACR? Is your nitrous kit wet or dry?

Thanks,

Tom

2000L
10-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Its a wet kit, and I do go out to LACR. I dont like LACR that much though. Very poorly maintained in my opinion. I lived on the east coast most of my life and are use to running on very well preped tracks. I averaged 1.85 60's there on 28x11.5x16's MT ET streets. If I drive to Famoso in Bakersfield, I pull 1.71 to 1.75's. With LACR being so close though it is the track I frequent the most. When is the next time you plan on going out?

QDRHRSE
10-23-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm a graduate student so I don't actually plan on going out until December- I don't have much time. I haven't had time to work on my Mustang and my L will probably not be ready to go for a month. However, if you drop me a line before hand, I would love to show up at the track just to check out your truck and BS. I could bring my car but I would only be able to make slow passes on radials- that's fun too.

2000L
10-23-2005, 08:31 PM
That would be cool. I dont have a whole lot of time myself due to my job. I usually make it out once a month or so. Im in the Army myself. Im mechanic but they have me on recruiting duty right now. When I finish my recruiting duty assignment I will go back to the main stream Army and take over a shop again. Any help I can provide on the L just let me know. I shot you line next time Im going out.