PDA

View Full Version : Starting to Think About 2006 Monthly Meetings...

tliss
10-31-2005, 11:59 AM
OK Fellers,

I am starting to think about what we are going to do next year. So I want to hear some suggestions on things we can do at the monthly meetings, as well as maybe some discussion as to the day we need to do these. Also, what about frequecy...if we make these larger events shoudl we have as many....or maybe we make one quarterly big event and meet for lunch dinner in the other months.

As examples, one of the things that popped up was to incorporate a track day into a monthly meeting day and do it on a Saturday. Maybe another would be a day out at SpeedZone and lunch. Etc. Give me your thoughts and I'll start collecting these things. I'd like to do something a little different each time if possible.

Help me out. What do you WANT to do???

Tom

BC Lightning
10-31-2005, 12:28 PM
BONEDADDY's

gagspa
10-31-2005, 12:42 PM
I know that for me Saturdays/Sundays are usually better. It seems like most of the events are in Dallas. That is a little far for a weekday.

Of course keep in mind that I have never been to a meet so my opinion should not count much. The opinions of the regular attendees should carry the most weight as they are the ones that actually show up. At least that is how we do it with the Bullitt meets.

PoorSvtman
10-31-2005, 12:45 PM
I think we have enough people in the arlington/ftworth area for a meeting down here..

But i do plan on tossing a few sunday hooters meets up again so i guess that can be our mini meet lol.

tiffo60
10-31-2005, 01:22 PM
sundays and wednesdays are out for me, because i usually have my kiddo those days, have church, but any other day than those i am usually free

Silver_2000
10-31-2005, 01:42 PM
I think that there are enough members in Carrollton that we can have meets here ....

SILVER2000SVT
10-31-2005, 01:49 PM
We need to go back to splitting them up around the area. It would be nice to have a convient location once in a while. Maybe just every 3rd meeting in the Arlington area, or something like that. I would still make every attempt to go to the others. I do miss Bonedaddy's. :tu:

I like the monthy meeting and think it should continue. Wednesday and Thursdays are both good days, I personally much rather perfer Thursdays. But, I don't see why it has to be the same day every month. Maybe swap back and forth because some people aren't as flexible and it would give them a better opportunity to make it at least once every 2 months.

Is it that important to nail down the exact date and locations for all the monthy meetings for a whole year in advance without having any flexibility? I know it used to be a little awkward planning it out every month, but maybe we can do some sort of a blend. Perhaps plan out 6month ahead. Or just plan like "Plano" month ahead of time and we decide the venue a couple of weeks ahead. I'm just throwing out ideas here.

tliss
10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Keep the idears coming. I want only ideas...any discounting of someone's ideas or debate will be deleted. I just want to see what the peanut gallery has to say. So far it just looks like everyone is interested in eating and there doesn't seem to be too much interest in any other activities.

Keep the idears rollin fellers!

Tom

SILVER2000SVT
10-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Keep the idears coming. I want only ideas...any discounting of someone's ideas or debate will be deleted. I just want to see what the peanut gallery has to say. So far it just looks like everyone is interested in eating and there doesn't seem to be too much interest in any other activities.

Keep the idears rollin fellers!

Tom

My opinion is that we should keep the events and other activities separate. I like the idea of keeping the meetings simple and informal. Food and drink are goods ways of doing that.

Does this count as a discounting someone's idea.:D

Silver_2000
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
In order to have people who dont live on the internet show up we have to have a reliable pattern. years ago we used to debate till the day before where the meeting was going to be - we are trying to get away from that and Tom is doing a good job of organizing :tu:

Doug

PoorSvtman
10-31-2005, 03:31 PM
tom is doing a good job at it and i already told him id help out and kinda help him plan things so the ftworth crew can more fully participate.

Im just trying to speek for my arlington guys. Most of us work funky hours, still go to school, etc. Thats why we dont make it to the meetings. By the time we get out of school , work,etc you all are probly almost done eating.

Sixpipes
10-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Since I am probably out of the picture on Wednesdays, how about a Saturday meeting once a quarter? :cool:

Silver_2000
10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Im just trying to speek for my arlington guys. Most of us work funky hours, still go to school, etc. Thats why we dont make it to the meetings. By the time we get out of school , work,etc you all are probly almost done eating.

I know how you feel - I have driven to the SA hooters twice to arrive in time to see evertyone leaving...

Mark #2
10-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Monthly meetings should only be held at Bonedaddys:D
Weds or Thurs is okay.

98Cobra
10-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Just my take:

If we go back to rotating meeting locations to Outer Mongolia, I'll be missing at least 1/3 of them. Its just impractical to drive from Frisco to South Arlington in rush hour traffic and expect to get there in any kind of good time. Having one meeting area that is consistent makes finding the club easier for new people, and cuts down on confusion for the rest. I also think alternating the days is a bad idea - just changing it to Wednesdays was hard enough for me to adapt to. :)

I know many of you log on to the board ten times a day, but there are those of us who cant. I hit it last night after not logging on for only two days and there were 339 new posts. It has to remain easy, first and foremost.

I like the way we are doing it now - 3 restaurants in one area - I could see taking out a less popular one like Joe's and putting something else in - say the Hooter's in Irving or something....

PoorSvtman
10-31-2005, 06:34 PM
I know how you feel - I have driven to the SA hooters twice to arrive in time to see evertyone leaving...

if we dont get a arlington monthly meet it wont hurt my feelings any... We usualy get together anyways:tu:

StormShadow
10-31-2005, 07:00 PM
How about a Saturday cookout at a park.

my2002lightning
10-31-2005, 07:22 PM
I vote we go for a set day of the month at a central location - say, Humperdinks, Firewater area so we can get the best TALON turnout. Weekends are optimal, but weekday evenings are ok for me.

I think we have to remember that either way "you can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time."

Like your avatar btw, Tom! :D

Ronald

L8 APEX
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
I say one location in the center of D like Humperdinks @ NW Hwy. Thursday or Wednesday is fine. Club activities are a totally seperate planning commitee. Doug, Dennis and I had a planning meeting once and it never went very far. We had autocross, drag racing, cookouts planned etc..

BC Lightning
10-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Monthly meetings should only be held at Bonedaddys:D
Weds or Thurs is okay.

+1

even though i posted already about Bonedaddy's, I think it should be moved back there

dboat
10-31-2005, 09:26 PM
I think we should have one meeting in Erie.. its a little bit of a drive from Dallas, but well worth it.. just ask Doug..

I would suggest having it in July or Aug,.. when the high here is around 80..

Dana

Moonshine
10-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I don't own a Lightning, so my vote doesn't count, but if it did I'd say that a consistent weekday meeting at a D/FW central location (like Loop 12/NW Hwy) makes the most sense.

Mark #2
10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
I don't own a Lightning, so my vote doesn't count, but if it did I'd say that a consistent weekday meeting at a D/FW central location (like Loop 12/NW Hwy) makes the most sense.

How about SpeedZone and the Adrenalin place across the street, it is cental and we could drink and drive and dare each other on the rides across the street?
Mark

02BOLT
10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm still all about the centralized location dealio my ownself. Since we started doing that, my ability to attend has increased significantly. The Bonedaddy's and Hooter's meets tend to polarize the club.

You fellers that are so hot on Bonedaddy's and SA Hooter's can still set up your localized meetings at your will, but this is TALON, and DFW is a big muther scratcher.....so in terms of monthly meetings, the centralized location just gives the most people, the best chance to make the meet, on a more consistent basis. Just makes the most sense IMHO.

A quarterly Saturday gig sounds like a pretty cool suggestion as well.:tu:

Just my .02

Silver_2000
10-31-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm still all about the centralized location dealio my ownself. Since we started doing that, my ability to attend has increased significantly. The Bonedaddy's and Hooter's meets tend to polarize the club.

You fellers that are so hot on Bonedaddy's and SA Hooter's can still set up your localized meetings at your will, SNIP

A quarterly Saturday gig sounds like a pretty cool suggestion as well.:tu:

Just my .02

I have to agree - It easy for me since I live near here - BUT there is NO reason we couldnt do the arlington or the bonedaddys thing - just post up more than about 2 hours in advance and if the timing works out we can try to make it - as far as going to Speed zone or adrenaline ( never been there ) I seem to remember getting kicked out of the TBC racing place once with some TALON folks after 4 out of 5 of us were airborne in one session.. So Im in - BUT thats not a good meeting place. My $0.02

PoorSvtman
11-01-2005, 04:45 AM
I have to agree - It easy for me since I live near here - BUT there is NO reason we couldnt do the arlington or the bonedaddys thing - just post up more than about 2 hours in advance and if the timing works out we can try to make it - as far as going to Speed zone or adrenaline ( never been there ) I seem to remember getting kicked out of the TBC racing place once with some TALON folks after 4 out of 5 of us were airborne in one session.. So Im in - BUT thats not a good meeting place. My $0.02

Speedzone is not a good meeting place... they have cops there. Last time i broke 3 carts with in an hour and got banned for a year:D .. I just recently went back.

Moonshine
11-01-2005, 10:37 AM
How about SpeedZone and the Adrenalin place across the street, it is cental and we could drink and drive and dare each other on the rides across the street?
Mark

Ooh, I like. :tu: I still chuckle thinking about how I punted Justin B into the wall.

BLACKSUNSHINE
11-01-2005, 12:29 PM
My neighbor is the manager for the Lewisville Hooters. He already said It would be ok to come out and get pics made w/ the girls and all.

HOOTERS! :banana:

dboat
11-01-2005, 05:56 PM
My neighbor is the manager for the Lewisville Hooters. He already said It would be ok to come out and get pics made w/ the girls and all.

HOOTERS! :banana:

Ronald, did you sign in as someone else?:tongue:

my2002lightning
11-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Nope, but Elaine's former mgr.'s (fellow deer-hunter and OU grad) wife is a Victoria's Secret Mgr. here in DFW. I need to call Jason!knana:burnout:

Now THERE's a TALON-meet idea! :D

Ronald, did you sign in as someone else?:tongue:

Lyfisin
11-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I'll agree with those who say they like a centralized location with a fixed schedule. If we start moving it all over it's hard to plan for. For me it's easy to remember "the first Wednesday of the month".

tliss
11-02-2005, 10:38 PM
OK, tonight at the meeting something came up in discussion that I wanted to bring up and hope that it inspires people and helps bring a new light to whatI am trying to accomplish. For those of you that have been around the club for while, do you remember the feeling and excitement there was around the meetings and getting together? Do you remember the number of cameras and people taking pictures at the meetings? Nowadays it almost seems like the meeting are "old hat," and I think this is a problem. I want to bring that excitement back that we used to have. I know a lot of it is the fact that we've been doing this for a long time, but I think it should still be there nonetheless.

Now, with that being said hopefully we can find a way to collectively bring back the excitement to our monthyl meetings. This is what I am looking to do, and I need your help to pull it off.

Tom

tiffo60
11-02-2005, 10:51 PM
i would come to every meeting theres just no way i can make wednesday meetings, but for next year if they get moved to another day by chance count me in:tu:

my2002lightning
11-03-2005, 12:19 AM
I hear ya', Tom. I need to get the "Bazooka" out and start taking more pics of our monthly meets and post-up.

Excellent time this evening, despite the expected turnout this evening. I would've stayed longer afterwards, but I needed to run home and check on Elaine.:)

Hmm... maybe we need to formulate some sort of "incentive" plan. :D The Lodge isn't very far down NW Highway.:evil

Ronald

OK, tonight at the meeting something came up in discussion that I wanted to bring up and hope that it inspires people and helps bring a new light to whatI am trying to accomplish. For those of you that have been around the club for while, do you remember the feeling and excitement there was around the meetings and getting together? Do you remember the number of cameras and people taking pictures at the meetings? Nowadays it almost seems like the meeting are "old hat," and I think this is a problem. I want to bring that excitement back that we used to have. I know a lot of it is the fact that we've been doing this for a long time, but I think it should still be there nonetheless.

Now, with that being said hopefully we can find a way to collectively bring back the excitement to our monthyl meetings. This is what I am looking to do, and I need your help to pull it off.

Tom

Mark #2
11-03-2005, 12:46 AM

Tom

That's because we used to go to Bonedaddys, that's where the best pictures were taken and got some of us (No hairy mammal references here) in the most trouble with the SOs. IMHO.
Not to mention the best ever line lock burn out.:beer:

Let's do a Speedzone meeting for excitement.

Mark

gagspa
11-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I would have taken some pictures last night except that it was so dark by the time that everyone got there.

Lyfisin
11-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Excellent time this evening, despite the expected turnout this evening. I would've stayed longer afterwards, but I needed to run home and check on Elaine.:)

Ronald

Ya Ronald, you never let Stacy (look Dee, I got it right!) listen to your exhaust.