PDA

View Full Version : Dog is gone

L8 APEX
11-05-2005, 03:17 AM
My old shepherd died at the ripe old age of 13-14yrs of age. I had him cremated so he will always be within my reach and close to my heart. Thanks to those who sent their condolences and such it means every bit of what you intended.

L8 APEX
11-05-2005, 03:37 AM
:)

Wht95Lightning
11-05-2005, 06:10 AM
Sorry for your loss Terry. May he rest in peace. :(

dboat
11-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Terry,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can not know the depth of your feelings, but can only relate as to having lost two of my dogs over the past 5 years. They too were true companions that loved me and were at times my best companion. I cried when they died and reading your story practically brought me to tears again because I understand. All I can say is that you will need to get another dog and that time will heal the wounds.
Hang in there friend..

Dana

Aggie Mom
11-05-2005, 07:49 AM
I’m very sad to hear about Shadow. I know you cared a great deal for him. Society expects us to suppress our feeling when a pet dies, but I consider my Chihuahua my family. I know you felt the same about your dog. Our pets bring us great companionship, security, comfort and unconditional love. Many of us are true animal lovers and can empathize with your loss and understand what you are going through now. If you need to talk, we are here for you.

SILVER2000SVT
11-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog. I know how much mine means to me.

I was at my vet the other day and saw a flyer for a pet crematory that says they pick up 24/7. I'll see if I can get you the number.

L8 APEX
11-05-2005, 08:24 AM
:)

dboat
11-05-2005, 09:33 AM
To put things in perspective I didn't cry a drop when my grandpa passed. I understood life's cycle and his pain and I "took it like a man". This damn dog has me babbling like a frickin baby still this morning:hammer: . I need to check myself and get back under control.
The good news is one of the crematories called this morning and can toast him for $185, done deal.

Dont be ashamed to cry.. its a way for you to compensate for the loss emotionally. My dog dying changed my life in a lot of ways that I cant explain or that I would expect others to understand. When you are ready, you will need to get another dog. He/She wont be the same but will be different in their own way.

Dana

aliekitn99
11-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Terry,

I am so very sorry to hear that you have lost your dear friend. Having lost several pets over the years I can understand the sorrow and loss you feel. Shadow can never be replaced but when the time is right, a puppy does help heal and can help the silence that is left. All dogs DO go to heaven and you will see him again.

Take care and know that you are not alone.

Kim

ps. Adversity makes us stronger so there must be an unknown reason why you are being tested so vigorously. Know that everything has a reason and we are part of a much larger plan so don't lose faith or hope.

QDRHRSE
11-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Terry,

I totally understand. I've had dogs all my life and I know how attached you get to them- its like losing a family member. I would be crushed if one of mine passed on. I'm really sorry.

tliss
11-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Terry,

Sorry to hear about your loss. You know I'm a big emotional guy when it comes to my dogs, so I understand 100% your feelings. It's OK to be emotional at times....that's generally what keeps me from exploding. Just think about the great life that you gave him and the good times that you shared. He had a great life, a great companion and friend, and he loved you unconditionally. His spirit is free now, but you know very well that he will always be with you. Hold onto that, mourn his passing, and let time do its work. Believe me, no one will hold it against you. If you need to talk to somebody, you know how to get a hold of me.

Tom

jcblack
11-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Dont be ashamed to cry.. its a way for you to compensate for the loss emotionally. My dog dying changed my life in a lot of ways that I cant explain or that I would expect others to understand. When you are ready, you will need to get another dog. He/She wont be the same but will be different in their own way.

Dana

dboat is right. No other animal can replace the one that you lost. I was just talking to some buddies at work about the things that all my different cats used to do. They each have their own personality. When you decide to get another pet, you will love it just as much as Shadow. I'm sorry to hear about him. I got the privledge to meet him. You told me not to get too close, but I did get to see him obey commands in German. He is still with you in your heart and he always will be.

wesman
11-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Terry,

Sorry about your loss :( At least you can remember all the good times and all the happiness that he brought to you and you to him. Animals are one of the few things in this world that will return everything you give them and then some, they truly love unconditionaly.

You are always more than welcome to come over for some dinner and rub on my smelly mutts anytime.....the door is always open to you friend.

If you need anything, you know how to find me.

--wes

gbgary
11-05-2005, 02:25 PM
sorry man...you've had one hell of a run-of-luck lately. hope your 2006 will be better than your 2005.

FRDRCING
11-05-2005, 03:31 PM
sorry about the loss, I know how you fell to wake up to a dead dog. I woke on a sunday morning and are dog fell into the swimming pool over night and was blind and could not get out. You will one day replace him and all will be good again.

02BOLT
11-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Terry, I understand how difficult a time this has been for you. Losing a pet like Shadow is a bitter pill to swallow. As has already been mentioned, try to take some solace in the fact that he lived a good, full, and happy life. I know it hurts like hell, but know the memories that now seem to fuel that fire, are the same ones that will enable him to stay with you forever.

Like Tom and Wes said, we are here for you, our door is always open, and don't hesitate to call if there's anything we can do.

Sincerely,
Rob

LivinEZ
11-05-2005, 06:49 PM
To put things in perspective I didn't cry a drop when my grandpa passed. I understood life's cycle and his pain and I "took it like a man". This damn dog has me babbling like a frickin baby still this morning:hammer: . I need to check myself and get back under control.

It just shows how much you cared. Crying is a strang thing...I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I've cried emotionally. One that sticks out in my mind was over the death of one of my dobermans. The dog was named Thunder and I swear he was afraid of his own shadow and dumber than a rock. But when I found him dead in the bushes, I cried like crazy. From the markings on this throat, we determined the female, had killed him...damn women. ...and people wonder why I stay single :rolleyes:

Keep the faith, things will get better. Give me a call if you need an ear, drink, or just wnat to shoot the $hit.

Silver_2000
11-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Terry,

My thoughts are with you and shadow.

The old saying of what deosnt kill you makes you stronger and the idea that things are done for a reason sorta go together. As you get older you realize how true they are.

Keep your chin up and realize that you will have the chance to enhance the lives of lots more pets and people as time goes on and in the end what we leave behind are memories in the minds of people we impact. Shadow has done a great job of that and you will as well.

If you feel the need you can stop by and hang with my 2 spoiled cockers. They dont know any german and dont even fetch but they are still great dogs and Im thrilled to have them. However they are 14 and are getting on in years. Im just thankful to have them around as long as they care to stay.

My Shadow and Midnight are in the attachment -
Doug

bobbywade69
11-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog Terry, I know what your going though. I know how much me ment to you, its lie losing your best friend. I have a 8 year old German shepard we've been though alot and don't know what I'll do when he's gone. If theres anything Tami and I can do let me know.

my2002lightning
11-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Terry,

Like you, I've been a pall-bearer at too many immediate family-members funerals and seen beloved pets pass-on. :o

At 16 yo, I've lived through seeing my Mother fight for her life in the ER with her detached right-arm across the room in an iced-down cooler with Trauma Teams, Dad and GrandParents there. Talk about a traumatic experience for me at a formative age. :(

If myself and my family can make it through such tragedies and hardships, you should be able to as well.

Ronald

tiffo60
11-05-2005, 11:32 PM
terry sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like you gave him an amazing life and nothing short of it, this is just lifes cycle, has its ups and downs, fight thru the hard times, and live up the good times, keep your head up and this will pass too, wish you the best:tu:

Tatom Mack
11-06-2005, 12:20 AM
sorry for the lost may he R.I.P.

03LightningRocks
11-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Terry,

My thoughts are with you and shadow.

The old saying of what deosnt kill you makes you stronger and the idea that things are done for a reason sorta go together. As you get older you realize how true they are.

Keep your chin up and realize that you will have the chance to enhance the lives of lots more pets and people as time goes on and in the end what we leave behind are memories in the minds of people we impact. Shadow has done a great job of that and you will as well...................................Snip
Doug

I couldn't have said this any better myself............except that I would like to add that maybe going out and finding a pussy to pet...:D ...should help take your mind off of things a bit.

Rocks:beer:

L8 APEX
11-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks folks, it really sucks when there is no other pet of spouse to lean on in times like these. I come home and still go to the back yard or look for his head in the window and it is just an empty yard.
I remember when I took him up to the D'vill PD so Brian could see him. One of Brian's employees came out in the parking lot and bent down to pet the dog, WRONG! Shadow almost had a mouthful of copper! Brian said I like that dog he is a good judge of character:D .

Moonshine
11-06-2005, 11:08 PM
I was thinking about that last night, and the memory made me chuckle. That was pretty funny, particularly since Shadow for some reason didn't seem to mind me. :tongue: and then the officer who shall remain unnamed walks up and Cujo comes out. ;)

L8 APEX
11-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah, we should have lined them up and dismissed the ones that failed inspection:D .

SpeedyBolt
11-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Terry,

Sorry can't be said enough, but I hope that all will become well. I am a big puss when it comes to dogs, so I know how you feel. Like you said before, most prople can't be trusted and a dog will always be there. Good luck, hang in there it will get better!!!

Billy

L8 APEX
11-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I guess Rocks doesn't understand the investment I had in this dog. As I stated he was not a pet he was a working dog. I got him at a time when I had plenty of time to train him and the money to do it also. A replacement pup starts at $2K and up. I got Shadow at 4yrs old because he was a little too handler hard and aggressive for his previous owner. A 4yr old trained male with OFA certified good hips sells for $4,500 & up. With a new pup it takes another $6 grand in higher level training for the next two years every weekend and two nights a week. Of course you have to do much of this at a campus for dog training and at home every night. I did this with Shadow when I had the recourses to do so. With my current schedule this level of traiing and spending is not possible. It will be years before I can take the time to replace this loss. This is my favorite breeder of working dogs they know their stuff.
Male Leerburg puppies are - $1,800.00 and up (www.leerburg.com)

Tatom Mack
11-07-2005, 11:56 PM
damm those are some bad ass dogs

03LightningRocks
11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey Terry.....How in the hell would I know what kind of money you dumped into a dog???

Rocks:flaming:

L8 APEX
11-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Nothing to be mad about Rocks that is why I explained it in my post. I am just stating for everyone the financial and time factor of what I lost and cannot replace him for a time to come. He was not a family pet he was a tactical tool and a life saving partner. I am sure a lot of folks thought like you posted about just get another puppy and call it Shadow Jr. etc.. You flame to easy big guy, I love you to:beer: .

03LightningRocks
11-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Your original posts eluded to an emotional loss. The best theropy for this is a new dog.

Now it is a financial loss. Your damned straight I am flamed. You post up that your dad wacked out your dog. You asked opinions on it. You make statements that sound almost suicidal in nature. Then you come off with the financial loss equation.

Yeah dude...I am pissed. Pissed off because I happen to be your friend and I am concerned you are loosing it over your dog passing.

Enough Terry..........we have all lost pets. It sucks, but it is the way it works. We have all lost loved ones. We all get kicked in the arse by life at times. Sometimes friends have to tell ya to get on with it. That is what I am telling you now.

Rocks:beer:

L8 APEX
11-08-2005, 11:45 PM
I was just stating I cannot afford to replace him if I wanted to, not just a financial loss. I will have Doug delete the posts so my personal issues don't cause you any more irritation, sorry for posting my personal problems here.:bows :bows

03LightningRocks
11-08-2005, 11:53 PM
I was just stating I cannot afford to replace him if I wanted to, not just a financial loss. I will have Doug delete the posts so my personal issues don't cause you any more irritation, sorry for posting my personal problems here.:bows :bows

You ding dong!!!!! That is not what I said. It is great that you can unload some of your problems this way.

03LightningRocks
11-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Besides, how could I kick you in the arse if I didn't know you needed it....

;)