PDA

View Full Version : OK Dammit...need opinions

tliss
11-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Well, it's time to start looking for a new vehicle. No I'm not getting rid of the Lightning...this is a replacement for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Basically I'm looking at the SUVs out there and hate them all. Any ideas? I checked out the Jeep GC SRT8 and first thought "bad ass" until I realized it's a Daimler Chrysler product :vomit: !!! Plus $40K for a Jeep is just not right. The wife kinda digs the Hummer H3, but I'm not digging that thing too much. Any opinions on an SUV worth a damn? I'm trying to cap it at about $40K for this vehicle.

Thanks...Tom

Showtime
11-12-2005, 11:51 PM

Mark #2
11-13-2005, 12:21 AM
chevy has a new vehicle called the HHR, kinda resembles a PT Cruiser but its only $15,990.

No, no, no, buy a Tahoe, the best full size SUV available IMHO.
I'm still waiting for a replacement for the K5, but nothing available yet.
Mark

tliss
11-13-2005, 12:46 AM
chevy has a new vehicle called the HHR, kinda resembles a PT Cruiser but its only $15,990.

:eek: :vomit: No f'n way I'm buying one of those! What the hell is going on inside your head, son??

We've looked at the Tahoe and Yukon...not sure if we are going to get a full-sized SUV or not. Still really debating that one at this point.

Tom

Showtime
11-13-2005, 12:52 AM
:eek: :vomit: No f'n way I'm buying one of those! What the hell is going on inside your head, son??

We've looked at the Tahoe and Yukon...not sure if we are going to get a full-sized SUV or not. Still really debating that one at this point.

Tom

David N
11-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Tom,

go with the Explorer or the Expedition..please no Chevy..let me know if you need a X-plan pin....

98Cobra
11-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Tom, if you buy an HHR, you really are a Homo.

Regards,

G

:D

PoorSvtman
11-13-2005, 02:24 AM
hhrs are a nice granny car, they drive and handle nice tho. When we first got them in i took one for a spin. Im 6ft4 and on big bumps id hit my head on the roof. Had to sit gangster style .

dboat
11-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Tom,
To better help you, what size, what do you need it to do.. what is going to be definitely out and not be considered? what options? do you like them fully loaded up or is a stripper ok?
If anything is on the table and looks are of a consideration, then a Volkswagen Toureg, Mitsu Endeavor, BMW X3 , Suzuki Grand Vitara (the new one), Acura MDX, Ford Escape, Lexus RX330, Infiniti FX, Lincoln Aviator, Nissan Murano, the new Kia and Hyundai, and even one of the new Toyotas. The Suzuki is one of the best bang for your bucks and they are made very well, we have been more than pleased with ours plus the warranty cant be beat.
Good Luck
Dana

http://www.pricequotes.com/cars/newcars-type.html?type=sv&name=SUVs&source=gl

Wht95Lightning
11-13-2005, 07:48 AM
4runner or Pathfinder would be good choices.

Mika
11-13-2005, 09:29 AM
My wife has an RX330(Lexus). She loves it. Less than $40k. Sticker showed $39,200, she paid $37,200. If that's big enough, I'd say go for it. 4 year/50k mile warranty, 6 year/70k powertrain. Chances are you won't need it, but it's still good to have.

Mika

FRDRCING
11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
My folks went with a Honda Pilot and they love it.

tliss
11-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Tom,
To better help you, what size, what do you need it to do.. what is going to be definitely out and not be considered? what options? do you like them fully loaded up or is a stripper ok?

Right now pretty much everything is on the table. I was wanting something that really looked cool, but at this point none of them tickle my fancy. I like a few of the luxo-boxes, but don't really feel like paying $700-900/month for one. Just wanting some opinions. Hopefully Ford will put something out there to compete the with the GC SRT-8 and Trailblazer SS, cuz I may go for one of those...

Tom

99WhiteBeast
11-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Pathfinder or Armada would be my choices

dboat
11-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Right now pretty much everything is on the table. I was wanting something that really looked cool, but at this point none of them tickle my fancy. I like a few of the luxo-boxes, but don't really feel like paying $700-900/month for one. Just wanting some opinions. Hopefully Ford will put something out there to compete the with the GC SRT-8 and Trailblazer SS, cuz I may go for one of those...

Tom

Tom, it sounds like you are looking for an American named iron... I would look hard at the Nissan FX series..one has a six and one has an eight.. they are built off of the 350z chassis. they handle and move down the road pretty good. The six is the same as in the 350z so mods are a plenty.. I like the Volkswagen because its a Porsche in disguise.. but they stopped importing the V10 turbo diesel with 550 lbft of torque:eek2: Those are badass but really expensive too.. with a chip, they are wild.
The RX is really nice and they make a "green" version too, if you are in to that kind of thing. The Acura is really nice, it comes with everything and its a great value as well.. but if you are going to stay Merican, then I would go with the Jeep SRT and see if the prices are going to drop.. I like em...
Dana

True Blue Aggie
11-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Just wait a year and get the SVT Adrenaline (4 door sportrack, all wheel drive, etc....)

Sixpipes
11-13-2005, 01:02 PM
My neighbor has an FX and it is an awesome vehicle. You either hate the looks or love it. :cool:

my2002lightning
11-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I'll have to agree with Michael if you're dead-set on the whole 4-door SUV thing, Tom.

Stay SVT.:tu:

Ronald

Just wait a year and get the SVT Adrenaline (4 door sportrack, all wheel drive, etc....)

tliss
11-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Sport Trac = Lame.

Ford is going to have to do a lot on the looks between now and then to make we want to blow the cash on that one. I thought about it, but I just flat out think the thing is butt-ass ugly.

Tom

TP Derrick D
11-13-2005, 04:30 PM

I'm with True Blue on this one.But then again I bleed Ford Blue. I think a lot of L owners don't like this because the L has been put on hold and SVT is putting this out instead of a G3 L. I'm playing the wait and see in person game. I don't think it can be that bad with what it will have under the hood and available upgrades in the Cobra, Mustang & Explorer families. IMO

REXRENEGADE
11-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Just get a 4 door truck :tu:

tliss
11-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm with True Blue on this one.But then again I bleed Ford Blue. I think a lot of L owners don't like this because the L has been put on hold and SVT is putting this out instead of a G3 L. I'm playing the wait and see in person game. I don't think it can be that bad with what it will have under the hood and available upgrades in the Cobra, Mustang & Explorer families. IMO

A Pacer with a 427 on NOS is still a Pacer. Outside has gotta look as good as what's under the hood. The Sport Trac is just a lame ass platform to put a performace vehicle in IMO.

Tom

99WhiteBeast
11-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Sport Trac = Lame.

Ford is going to have to do a lot on the looks between now and then to make we want to blow the cash on that one. I thought about it, but I just flat out think the thing is butt-ass ugly.

Tom

Not my favorite vehicle but I think once its done it will be a nice family ride. 390 horse 4v will be very respectable and will make me overlook a few things.

We started to look at SUV's but I'm getting Michelle to hold out till next fall and we will take a look at the Adrenaline before we make a final choice. I would love to have 3 SVT's in the stable. If kids were not an issue I would be all over an 03 Cobra for her.

Shiner1
11-13-2005, 07:31 PM
No, no, no, buy a Tahoe, the best full size SUV available IMHO.
I'm still waiting for a replacement for the K5, but nothing available yet.
Mark

Tahoe or a Sub. I have had my Sub for 5 years and love it.

Tatom Mack
11-13-2005, 07:46 PM
my wife wants to get rid of the tahoe i want her to get the ss trailblazer 390 hp lol

BC Lightning
11-13-2005, 07:54 PM
http://www.detroitspeedworks.com/escaladegt37.wmv

Here is a Turbo charged Caddy with 24's that runs 13.5's, I'd say get this one :D

Moonshine
11-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Another vote for the RX330 here. My mother-in-law has one and loves it. I've driven it a bit and it's pretty nice.

wesman
11-13-2005, 10:38 PM
I vote Infiniti FX....very nice SUV. Has quite a bit of get up and go when needed. We've had one for about 7 months and love it, the wife really likes it and that's rare for her. It's the first vehicle we've bought her that she's liked for more than 3-4 months.

--wes

gagspa
11-14-2005, 09:11 AM
My first choice would be the Adrenaline. After that I would go for an Explorer or the Nissan Murano.

QDRHRSE
11-15-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm always saying stuff like this but....I don't know what stuff goes for out there but big American Iron, especially Chevy iron, is dirt cheap right now [out here]. You can get a fully loaded Tahoe or even a Suburban for around $30K. Chevy can't give them away. Sometimes my local Chevy dealership sells full sized V-8 extra cab pickups with options for $16,999 . That's like 8 or 9k off sticker and you don't have to haggle. I, myself, try avoid GM products myself but if makes economic sense I'd drive a Honda to work....wait a minute, I do drive a Honda to work. Anyway, a big American SUV may put you way under 40k. Just an idea.

TP Derrick D
11-16-2005, 01:03 AM
A Pacer with a 427 on NOS is still a Pacer. Outside has gotta look as good as what's under the hood. The Sport Trac is just a lame ass platform to put a performace vehicle in IMO.

Tom
Hey Tom, tell us how you REALLY feel. If you don't like it you don't like it.:cool:
But I'm sure the underpinnings will be different than a regular Explorer. Same as a Cobra's underpinnings are not the same as a Mustang. Or the L's is not the same as a regular F150 .I just have been hearing how it will be slow,can't do this,can't do dat', will be all things not equal or better than an L.(Right Alvalance?) Honestly , I just see alot of "hatin" on it because it and not the beloved L will be center stage. (Right Alvalance?) Because we all know that a vehicle with as much or more power and weighs less with better traction can't perform as well as a Lightning.(Right Alvalance?)

dboat
11-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Tom,
What about the Dodge Durango with the hemi that drops a couple of cylinders on the hwy? gets 25 mpg on the hwy? they are running an incentive on it now.. might be a decent option..

or have you decided and not told us yet?
Dana

tliss
11-26-2005, 10:15 PM
No decision yet. The Chevy dealer right by the house let me take a Trailblazer SS out the other day and I have to say it drives pretty nice. Doesn't have the same take-of that the Lightning has, but the little beyotch squats on launch and goes! It sounds pretty nice too. It's supposed to run mid to high 13s as it sits. Now I just have to get the wife to take a look-see at it and convince her that we need a SUV with some balls. I like it and would like to get it, but the wife has the say. The red-tag thing they are doing right now puts the price right where I want it, so it'll be a good deal if the wife will buy in. If not, then I'll be on the search still. I just want something that is unique...everyone seems to have a Tahoe or Yukon or Escalade or Expedition. I want something that is different. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

02BOLT
11-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey Tom, is that the one with the LS2 in it rated at like 390HP?

tliss
11-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey Tom, is that the one with the LS2 in it rated at like 390HP?

Yep, that's the one.

http://a904.g.akamai.net/7/904/506/v0011/www.autobytel.com/images/2006/Chevrolet/Trailblazer_SS/400/2006_chevrolet_Trailblazer_SS_exfrdrvr34.jpg

Tom

dboat
11-27-2005, 04:24 AM
No decision yet. The Chevy dealer right by the house let me take a Trailblazer SS out the other day and I have to say it drives pretty nice. Doesn't have the same take-of that the Lightning has, but the little beyotch squats on launch and goes! It sounds pretty nice too. It's supposed to run mid to high 13s as it sits. Now I just have to get the wife to take a look-see at it and convince her that we need a SUV with some balls. I like it and would like to get it, but the wife has the say. The red-tag thing they are doing right now puts the price right where I want it, so it'll be a good deal if the wife will buy in. If not, then I'll be on the search still. I just want something that is unique...everyone seems to have a Tahoe or Yukon or Escalade or Expedition. I want something that is different. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

that would be sweet.. nice..

02BOLT
11-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey Tom, what was the sticker/red tag price on that puppy? I may be looking to get out of the FX4, and into some kind of sporty SUV that my wife can get our child in and out of easier, while being more user friendly in terms of maneuverability. 395 HP sounds pretty damn maneuverable to me.:D

dboat
11-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey Tom, what was the sticker/red tag price on that puppy? I may be looking to get out of the FX4, and into some kind of sporty SUV that my wife can get our child in and out of easier, while being more user friendly in terms of maneuverability. 395 HP sounds pretty damn maneuverable to me.:D

If you are interested in getting out of the Infiniti, let me know... might be a little interested..
Dana

tliss
11-27-2005, 10:04 AM

The sticker on this one is around $38K. With the red tag deal and rebate it comes out to $32K.

Tom

L8 APEX
11-27-2005, 10:47 AM
If you are interested in getting out of the Infiniti, let me know... might be a little interested..
Dana
The FX4 is an F150.
http://gulfcoastnews.com/images/RoadTestImages/F150%20Red%20Side.jpg

dboat
11-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks Terry, my bad.. was thinking it was an FX45...

QDRHRSE
11-27-2005, 12:02 PM
That Chevy thing looks pretty cool despite the fact that it is a Chevy.

02BOLT
11-27-2005, 01:15 PM
That Chevy thing looks pretty cool despite the fact that it is a Chevy.

395 HP LS2 makes up for a lot.;)

QDRHRSE
11-27-2005, 02:13 PM
395 HP LS2 makes up for a lot.;)

I would agree except for that weird retro Chevy SS thing. 400+ right? Those things can't get out of their own way. The Trailblazer SS at least offers the possibility of something sportier in the SUV market. Thats what I like about it. I never heard that those things are really that fast. Considering that they have more HP than the L's- why aren't they near as fast?

The 395 hp is and isn't the selling point. I can see why Tom likes it. The power is only part of it. Tom, am I wrong?

tliss
11-27-2005, 02:23 PM
I would agree except for that weird retro Chevy SS thing. 400+ right? Those things can't get out of their own way. The Trailblazer SS at least offers the possibility of something sportier in the SUV market. Thats what I like about it. I never heard that those things are really that fast. Considering that they have more HP than the L's- why aren't they near as fast?

The 395 hp is and isn't the selling point. I can see why Tom likes it. The power is only part of it. Tom, am I wrong?

I want something out of the ordinary. A SUV that can haul ass fits that mold. I really don't like anything on the SUV market out there today, and I want something that is unique, and a SUV with 395 HP that has some nice looks fits it. The other one I am looking at is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. I like the look of both and they both have some balls.

In terms of how fast these things are, remember this is a SUV and it is pretty heavy. I think the Trailblazer SS weighs about the same as the Lightning. I'm hearing they'll run high 13s stock, and of course they have the similar aerodynamics.

Tom

02BOLT
11-27-2005, 04:00 PM

The first year model SSR's('03s, I think) could not get out of their own way due to an under-powered 345 HP motor that made no torque. The new ones, have the 390 HP LS2 and run in the mid-high 13's as well I believe.

As far as the Lightnings being faster with less HP, let's take a look at that.....It's not really an apples to apples comparison, because you're comparing a S/C powerplant to a N/A powerplant. However, my 2002 L in stock form, made 337 RWHP (405 HP at the flywheel using 20% for frictional losses), and ran 13.90's right at 100 mph in mid-high 70* temps. As we all know, these trucks pick up a considerable amount of power/torque when it gets cold. Conversely, they lose a considerable amount when temps climb into the 90*'s and 100*s as they often do here every summer.

So while the L kicks the Trailblazer's ass when it's below 70*, the Trailblazer should run right with a STOCK Lightning at anything above 75*(which it is here 80% of the year)......and when it jumps up to and beyond the 90*s, a stock L, may find himself looking at the SS's taillights. So let's be fair about this. The L also can only seat 3, while the 'Blazer can seat a full family of four with all of the accoutrements.

Now, don't get me wrong here, the 'Blazer is not meant to compete with the L. They are two completely different vehicles, with completely different target buyers. I just wanted to address the point.

At any rate, as of now, for a fella starting a family, and looking for something that will serve a purpose and still be fun to drive and maintain, the Trailblazer SS is the only sporty SUV out there that will get out of its own way for less than $40 Grand. The SRT-8 Jeep is sweet as hell IMO, but you will not be able to get your mits one of those bad boys for anywhere near $32K, I guarantee. Should probably be more like $45K!:eek2: Wait and see.

Furthermore, slap a cam and a set of longtubes on the SS, and I bet she picks up about 50 RWHP right quick. Now you've got more power than the Jeep, and you save about $10 Grand!:evil

dboat
11-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Well, I was so intrigued by the SS that I drove by the local dealership to see one.. they are sweet looking.. my only complaint would be the mpg.. at 14 city and 17 hwy.. its right there with the L on gas mileage.. for us, if we had one, it would be a frequently used vehicle.. and it would hurt at the pump.. but I would get one anyway:evil ..
They are nice and with the SS package you get a lot of nice extras too.
I give it :tu: :tu: :tu:
Dana

tliss
11-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Well, I was so intrigued by the SS that I drove by the local dealership to see one.. they are sweet looking.. my only complaint would be the mpg.. at 14 city and 17 hwy.. its right there with the L on gas mileage.. for us, if we had one, it would be a frequently used vehicle.. and it would hurt at the pump.. but I would get one anyway:evil ..
They are nice and with the SS package you get a lot of nice extras too.
I give it :tu: :tu: :tu:
Dana

You know what really sucks is the vehicle this is going to replace (6-cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee) doesn't get much better gas mileage (I think the sticker said 16/20 mpg). That's pretty much in line with the big SUVs anyway, so if I'm going to get screwed at the pump regardless I might as well get something that's going to be fun.

Tom

Beaudee
11-28-2005, 03:49 AM
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=681 For the money http://kia.com/sorento/index.php

99WhiteBeast
11-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Tom,
What about the Dodge Durango with the hemi that drops a couple of cylinders on the hwy? gets 25 mpg on the hwy? they are running an incentive on it now.. might be a decent option..

or have you decided and not told us yet?
Dana

We rented one of these for the weekend (due to an accident) and I was thoroughly displeased. A 4 hour trip to San Antonio felt like I had been beat with baseball bats. My back is freakin killing me- those seats are uncomfortable as hell. The wind noise was also terrible as the windows on the opposite side of the way the wind was blowing constantly whistled.

My MPG calculations show an average of 17MPG and I had the cruise set at 75 the entire time

tliss
11-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Dodge Durango = :vomit: . I'd buy a Honda Element or Chevy HHR before I would buy one of those.:evil

Tom

tliss
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, wifey just shot down the idea on the Trailblazer SS. She thinks it is "too simple." Apparently she wants more of a typical SUV with the roof rack (that we'll NEVER use) and higher stance. Guess it's back to the drawing board. All the SUVs out there are crap as far as I am concerned, so I guess it'll be a while before we get a new ride, because I am not buying something that I hate.

Wife 1 Tom 0

:mad:

dboat
12-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Well, wifey just shot down the idea on the Trailblazer SS. She thinks it is "too simple." Apparently she wants more of a typical SUV with the roof rack (that we'll NEVER use) and higher stance. Guess it's back to the drawing board. All the SUVs out there are crap as far as I am concerned, so I guess it'll be a while before we get a new ride, because I am not buying something that I hate.

Wife 1 Tom 0

:mad:

Tom, this is probably why I am on my second marriage, because I dont get it.. I liked it.. but, maybe you should just get a Ford Exploder.. they are typical, arent they?