PDA

View Full Version : Why should I move/not move to Amarillo?

Lightning_Pat
12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
What are the pros and cons of living and working in Amarillo?
I might apply for a job there.

Thanks, Pat

Sixpipes
12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
The terrain is strangely beautiful up there, but the weather is the main reason most folks don't like the area. A lot of cattle, heavy industry (spread out however), and lonely women. Sorry, I meant lonely cattle and heavy women. The best thing about Amarillo is the good ole West Texas folks (and I mean that seriously). West Texans are the salt of the earth, but they don't take crap from anybody. :tu:

Moonshine
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
And you'd better like wind if you move to Amarillo. 40 MPH wind is considered a slight breeze.

Sixpipes
12-09-2005, 05:05 PM
FYI. The weather doesn't sound bad according to this link, but when it's bad, it's miserable. :cool:

http://www.amarillo-chamber.org/climate.html

99WhiteBeast
12-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Pros:
World famous Big Texan 72oz steak- eat it in a hour and its free
Boys Ranch Road-north side heading towards Dalhart- wide open twistys for miles a must for the L
Palo Duro Canyon- hiking, camping, nice scenary
Skiing close buy-New Mexico 2 to4 hrs, Colorado 5-8 hrs

Cons:
I also thought of Amarillo as the "truckstop of America"
Weather-brutal cold or heat and a little bit of everything in between

dboat
12-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Its really flat there..

Lightning_Pat
12-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks, I'm not sure if I would be able to stand the wind or some of the other weather.

my2002lightning
12-10-2005, 01:55 AM
I've driven through Amarillo at 113F in the summers, and aching cold blowing sleet/snow in the winters on the way to CO./NM. :cool:

Watch out for Mule-Deer on I-40 - Pronghorn, too. They're plentiful and feisty. We almost hit a herd of them late one-night outside of Tucumcari, NM. on the way back to OK. A whole herd was toed-up to the interstate and getting ready to cross.:eek::hammer: Yes, I saw plenty of scoreable B&C points on the bucks, as we whizzed past. They were standing around like cattle, late at night.

The Big-Texan is definitely an experience! Try their Buffalo-Chili. :tu:

Fond memories.:)

Ronald