PDA

View Full Version : Gen2 wheels

QDRHRSE
12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Out of the 3 types of Gen2 wheels, which ones do you like best? Is there a preferred wheel? For example, I am not fond of my stock 2000 wheels. I think that the 2001-2 wheels look better. If I knew how to set up a poll I would.

my2002lightning
12-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Just my $.02, the '01/'02 "Frankenstein" wheels are the only way to roll. :bows

The only other style I would pursue would be the Boyd-Coddington Smoothie IIs (I believe) which Aggie_Mom is running.

The '01/'02 wheels look even better at-speed, IMO.:tu:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6077/medium/MVC-885F.JPG

Ronald

bluesvt
12-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm going to have to go with the 03-04 style. :banana:

02SVTKID
12-16-2005, 07:04 PM
01-02 all the way.

wesman
12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
For stock size and finish....'01-'02......if 20's, chrome '99-'00

Not a fan of the smooothies....wayyyyy too common. I didn't even consider them when i went 18" wheel shopping in hopes of the truck actually hooking up.

--wes

L8 APEX
12-16-2005, 08:43 PM
01-02 hot wheels blocksknana

BC Lightning
12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
For stock size and finish....'01-'02......if 20's, chrome '99-'00

Not a fan of the smooothies....wayyyyy too common. I didn't even consider them when i went 18" wheel shopping in hopes of the truck actually hooking up.

--wes

+1 I really like the chrome 20" 99-00 style wheels. I like my chrome 04 wheels too. I'm not a fan of the boyd smoothies.

I had chrome 01-02 wheels on my 02 L and really didn't like the way they looked.

If they made them for trucks/suv's I would be rollin on 20" - 22" Fikse FM5s like on WA_2_FST's Lingenfelter twin turbo Vette knana (but his are 17's)

If I could ever stop buying other things for my truck I'll probably get around to buying 20" - 22" HRE's, with Brembo's of course :D I hate the gap between the fender well and wheel and 18's just look to small to me with the ground effects and front bumper

dboat
12-17-2005, 04:42 AM

+1

jcblack
12-17-2005, 12:52 PM
+2

gagspa
12-17-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm going to have to go with the 03-04 style. :banana:
I agree with Kyle on this one.

bobbywade69
12-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I like the 03-04 rims the most then the 2nd best would be the 99-00, the worst would be the 01-02 I think they look like :vomit:

whitelightning'02
12-17-2005, 05:52 PM

+3

my2002lightning
12-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Elaine says +4, on behalf of Suzie. :)

+3

Lyfisin
12-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Ok. We're up to +4 here.

Someone want to enlighten me on what hot wheels blocks are?

Brook the noob.

my2002lightning
12-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Brook,

They are our '01/'02 style-wheels.:tu:

Ronald

Ok. We're up to +4 here.

Someone want to enlighten me on what hot wheels blocks are?

Brook the noob.

WA 2 FST
12-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I like the 03-04 rims the most then the 2nd best would be the 99-00, the worst would be the 01-02 I think they look like :vomit:

+1, but then I don't have any of these styles on my truck.

wesman
12-17-2005, 07:58 PM
+1, but then I don't have any of these styles on my truck.

Not a fan of the Barbie wheels in the Satin color....not too bad chromed.

--wes

WA 2 FST
12-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Not a fan of the Barbie wheels in the Satin color....not too bad chromed.

--wes

The '03-04 wheels are now referred to as "Barbie" wheels?

I guess my real favorites are the '99-00 wheels. I have never preferred the '01-02s, but they've grown on me some. My '04 wheels have been up in my attic for a long time. I only had them for ~6k miles on my truck, so that probably says something. I never swapped out my '99 wheels on my old truck I had for 4+ years.

Mark #2
12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
The '03-04 wheels are now referred to as "Barbie" wheels?

I guess my real favorites are the '99-00 wheels. I have never preferred the '01-02s, but they've grown on me some. My '04 wheels have been up in my attic for a long time. I only had them for ~6k miles on my truck, so that probably says something. I never swapped out my '99 wheels on my old truck I had for 4+ years.

Same here on the '99-00 wheels, still got them after almost 6 years and they are lighter too.
Might go to 20s on the next tire change as the tire prices and availability of 20s is much better than the 18s.

Silver_2000
12-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Same here on the '99-00 wheels, still got them after almost 6 years and they are lighter too.
Might go to 20s on the next tire change as the tire prices and availability of 20s is much better than the 18s.

I was planning on getting chrome versions of the 04 Wheels but the chromes are no longer avail and it seems the F1's are no longer avail either.. May have to go after market and get 20's ...

PoorSvtman
12-17-2005, 08:50 PM
I was planning on getting chrome versions of the 04 Wheels but the chromes are no longer avail and it seems the F1's are no longer avail either.. May have to go after market and get 20's ...

Just get your stockers chromed...

Silver_2000
12-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Just get your stockers chromed...

Trouble is that aftermarket chrome is expensive and doesnt last
almost all the folks who got 2000 wheels chromed the chrome peeled after a year or 2- they shipped the wheels to California had to put the truck up while they waited - seems a ripoff

wesman
12-17-2005, 10:08 PM
almost all the folks who got 2000 wheels chromed the chrome peeled after a year or 2- they shipped the wheels to California had to put the truck up while they waited - seems a ripoff

You can do it through Discount. I recall a decent warranty but forgot the price. However, last time I asked about it, they have cores and will order the wheels and swap with you when they come in........provided they actually still have cores.

--wes

Mark #2
12-17-2005, 10:09 PM

So what 20 in rims do you think are the best, just so we can look the same again now that you have a Roush suspension?:D

PoorSvtman
12-17-2005, 10:18 PM

Its not expenisve.. I can get them chromed at a decent cost. It wont peal or chip either... Its through a buddies shop. Same place derrick took his vette wheels. I can get you a price if you want.

Lyfisin
12-17-2005, 11:29 PM
They are our '01/'02 style-wheels.:tu:

I like those the best, but I couldn't figure out the hot wheels or the block part.

Thanks.

Silver_2000
12-18-2005, 12:32 AM
So what 20 in rims do you think are the best, just so we can look the same again now that you have a Roush suspension?:D
Was thinking the same thing - its a bitch when we make the same decisions for the same reasons

The fact that decent tires on 18 inch size are gettig tougher to find is the motivating factor for me

Silver_2000
12-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Its not expenisve.. I can get them chromed at a decent cost. It wont peal or chip either... Its through a buddies shop. Same place derrick took his vette wheels. I can get you a price if you want.

EVERYONE I know who chromed the stockers had peeling

My OEM chromed 2000 rims looked good when I sold them to 00bolt after 4.5 years

PoorSvtman
12-18-2005, 12:43 AM
EVERYONE I know who chromed the stockers had peeling

My chromed 2000 rims looked good when I sold them to 00bolt after 4.5 years

Im just saying that this shop that my friends shop goes through has chromed many car parts, rims, etc and well still no problems and they look damn good I have yet to see any of the rims flaking. Its all in the prep. If you go with a large shop they probly will half arse prep the wheels.... Put it this way Ive seen some high dollar 22-24in rims come in chiping straight out of the box, sent them to this shop and they looke better than before. He stands behind his work as well if theres a problem he will take care of it.

Hell i refered derrick to them and if he will use them and hes picky who touches his cars im sure they are good.

my2002lightning
12-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Brook,

I whole-heartedly agree.:tu: They just have the most definition and character over the other Gen. 2 wheels, IMHO.knana

Tom/tliss,

I know you're running the chromey go-fast '01/'02s. What are the details of your chrome-job? Yours look 100%.:bows
Have fun in CHI at the Bears/Falcons game this weekend. :beer:

Ronald

I like those the best, but I couldn't figure out the hot wheels or the block part.

Thanks.

dboat
12-18-2005, 05:35 AM

Doug, is this a known fact that Goodyear is no longer going to make the F1's in our size? I am happy with my Nittos but its always nice to have an alternative..
Dana

Silver_2000
12-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Doug, is this a known fact that Goodyear is no longer going to make the F1's in our size? I am happy with my Nittos but its always nice to have an alternative..
Dana
I know that they are NOT available NOW - Tirerack and discount both are OUT and cant get any more- Tirerack expects Goodyear to make more eventually. Im just not sure my tires will last till eventually

Doug

Lyfisin
12-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I have heard that they were supposed to make another production run in January, but have no good source for that. They are definately out of stock pretty much everwhere at the moment.

A guy at Goodyear said that the Ls were the only vehicle that used that tire and said if you wanted tires for 20" wheels it would be cheaper because more of those were being made.

I haven't done any research yet to find out if that's true. I'm not real big on tire sizes and what fits what wheel.

TXBLU
12-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I definately like the '01/'02 wheels the best. Both of the others seem about the same to me. Not bad, just not my favorites.

I would definatly like to have mine chromed, but worry about chipping and flaking. Does anyone strip and polish these wheels?

Hopefully Goodyear will make some quality control/construction improvements before resuming production of the F1s. I really like the grip level, breakaway, and transition characteristics of the F1s, but they have had some seriuosly annoying vibration problems for some time now. The Nittos are very smooth balance-wise, but are a bit harder in the sidewalls and don't have the grip of the F1s. Plus, they seem to start squeeling earlier and don't transition well from grip-to-slip, and they aren't as good in the rain as the F1s are. I don't care much about cost or wear (Nittos have been much better on wear so far for me), I just want a good, smooth tire that grips well and has a good dynamic balance.

Just my $2.00 worth. Yeah, I know; I'm a windbag....

dboat
12-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I definately like the '01/'02 wheels the best. Both of the others seem about the same to me. Not bad, just not my favorites.

I would definatly like to have mine chromed, but worry about chipping and flaking. Does anyone strip and polish these wheels?

Hopefully Goodyear will make some quality control/construction improvements before resuming production of the F1s. I really like the grip level, breakaway, and transition characteristics of the F1s, but they have had some seriuosly annoying vibration problems for some time now. The Nittos are very smooth balance-wise, but are a bit harder in the sidewalls and don't have the grip of the F1s. Plus, they seem to start squeeling earlier and don't transition well from grip-to-slip, and they aren't as good in the rain as the F1s are. I don't care much about cost or wear (Nittos have been much better on wear so far for me), I just want a good, smooth tire that grips well and has a good dynamic balance.

Terry, had my old 02 stock wheels, had them painted with the polished lip. They really looked nice on his truck.. you could always have them blasted and powdercoated as well..

My experience with my Nittos is a little different than yours, I do find that there is a marginal traction advantage to the F1's but have found the Nittos are far better in the rain for me, and I live in a rainy place. I do find the dry driving ability of them to be about the same. The Nittos seem to be wearing a bit better and since they are about the same price, I think the Nittos are a better value. If you really need traction, then go with the Nitto DR's.
I could have gotten a larger wheel but didnt want the extra weight and hence worse braking.. so I'll stick with my 18's... btw, I have the SVT chrome 2002 style 18's on my truck.
Dana

BC Lightning
12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Terry, had my old 02 stock wheels, had them painted with the polished lip. They really looked nice on his truck.. you could always have them blasted and powdercoated as well..

My experience with my Nittos is a little different than yours, I do find that there is a marginal traction advantage to the F1's but have found the Nittos are far better in the rain for me, and I live in a rainy place. I do find the dry driving ability of them to be about the same. The Nittos seem to be wearing a bit better and since they are about the same price, I think the Nittos are a better value. If you really need traction, then go with the Nitto DR's.
I could have gotten a larger wheel but didnt want the extra weight and hence worse braking.. so I'll stick with my 18's... btw, I have the SVT chrome 2002 style 18's on my truck.
Dana

I have had the same luck with my Nittos. Never had one problem in the rain while hydro planing in the rain with the F1's. I also personally don't like the looks of the F1's with the ridges, I like the sidewall to be smooth. With decent tread I have found that the DR's are one of the best in the rain, plus the looks of the 305 are a plus.

Mark #2
12-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Was thinking the same thing - its a bitch when we make the same decisions for the same reasons

The fact that decent tires on 18 inch size are gettig tougher to find is the motivating factor for me

:D Great minds think alike:d

Sixpipes
12-18-2005, 08:59 PM
:D Great minds think alike:d

295/40ZR20 is the right size. Definitely the way to go. :tu:

Silver_2000
12-18-2005, 08:59 PM

Vibration problems are the fault of the balancer, in my opinion

Doug

wesman
12-18-2005, 09:10 PM
295/40ZR20 is the right size. Definitely the way to go. :tu:

Yep....that's what I ran on my 20's when i was running them.

Goodyear HP Ultra Plus 295/40/20

The beauty of them is they're $165 bucks :)

--wes

03LightningRocks
12-19-2005, 12:44 AM
I am partial to the 03-04 wheels...chromed. Although I would agree with Doug on watching out for chrome jobs that suck. I am not happy with mine. They have little dimples all over them.

Rocks

PoorSvtman
12-19-2005, 07:55 AM
I think the type of tire that one buys depends on there driving habits. I Had the goodyears and those suckers would go up in smoke on the 1-2 shift for me if i was hot rodding it. In the rain,well the fack i was putting along on i-20 and changed lanes the rear end slid around and the road was just wet not soaked. Now i have the nitto 555s all the way around. I like them, they seem to hook better on the street and stop well. But for the fun high speed and sharp turns they arent as good as the goodyears but its close.