PDA

View Full Version : Changing out my shocks

rickgig
01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
After driving this fine tuned machine for 90,000 miles it's time to change the shocks.

I have an 01 and bought OEM shocks. I've changed shocks before but don't recall if they were gas charged or not. Fronts look easy but the rears have a band around the shock presumably to keep it compressed.

Is there anything special I need to know before I start this? It should be quick and easy but you never know.

Thanks for the advice...

rickgig
01-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Alright guys... 10 views and no replies yet. Surely someone out there can add some advice.

Razor
01-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Nothin special...its straight forward...may help to lift truck by frame to uncompress shocks...easier on the bolts.;)

PoorSvtman
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
when you do the rears, install the lower bolt first.. then cut the strap or remove it. that way when you remove the strap and the shock extends just guide the upper part to where it needs to go...

Sometimes they use a wire strap and wrap it through the bolt hole....

Jack truck up and secure with jack stands. I also use my hitch as a place to put jack stands. Its rigid and secure and allows for the rear axle to be free to move up and down with a jack and not have to worry about the truck being of the stands...I also use it as a jack point. This is the only reason ive left it on. Ive used it abit while changing out leaf springs etc

QDRHRSE
01-04-2006, 08:31 PM
I've been told that it's easier to take the wheels off to do the rears. It's supposed to be a relatively easy job.

PoorSvtman
01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
if your truck is up on jack stands your tires should be out of the way.. passanger side rear has nothing at all in the way to make it hard to get to.

The driver side however is a pain.. I should have mentioned this earlier. To do the drivers side i would unbolt the lower bolt and pull it off the mount, may need to pry it out because of the force pushing down and a pry bar is easier than using your hands lol... Then go to the top. There is a hole in the frame that you can use to get a ratchet or a ratcheting wrench on the bolt. Ratchet wrech might be easier. Or if the spare tire is droped you can go from there as well. But since you un did the lower mount and got it out of the bracket when you loosen the upper mount the shock will drop and wont keep wanting to go up and will result in a easier removal....

Ive changed a few sets of shocks out and this was the easiest for me.. It can get tight on the drivers side with a ratchet and socket.

also you need to put a wrench on the bottom side of the top mounts to keep the shaft from spinning.

Mark #2
01-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I have done it too many times, and recently on some computer guy's truck.;)
Drivers side rear is a PITA, but 2 people really really really helps on this job, and I remove the tires for access too.
Air ratchets or ratcheting closed end wrenchs are very helpful also.

Tex Arcana
01-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Since we're on the subject, I'm thinking about snagging a set of QA1s, and I've been reading about Ruslow's Heim joint kit. Anyone know anything about this, or have any pics?

rickgig
01-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys... had to go to Ikea with my wife. Be warned... don't go there unless you have lots of time. Going to install a closet storage system. Cool stuff at decent prices.

Back to the L.

It's going to be a one person job... but I have the jack stands and impact tools.

Based on what y'all said it should be straight forward except the drivers side rear. Maybe I should take the bed off for this... NOT.

I'll tackle it Saturday...

If anyone else has a trick or two... please chime in.

L8 APEX
01-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I'll wait for the after post:D

Silver_2000
01-05-2006, 01:06 AM
I have done it too many times, and recently on some computer guy's truck.;)
Drivers side rear is a PITA, but 2 people really really really helps on this job, and I remove the tires for access too.
Air ratchets or ratcheting closed end wrenchs are very helpful also.

Yep - I changed the Shocks on my 2000 and on the new one with Marks Help. WWFB comes thru again !! :beer:
That job inspired me to ask Santa for Gear wrenches.

Doug

skalywags
01-06-2006, 01:13 AM
I did mine a few weeks ago. real easy!

rickgig
01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I did mine a few weeks ago. real easy!

Cool... it's going to be great weather for working on it. Waxed it this past Monday too.

dboat
01-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys... had to go to Ikea with my wife. Be warned... don't go there unless you have lots of time. Going to install a closet storage system. Cool stuff at decent prices.

please chime in.

Love the IKEA:tu: ... we drive to Pittsburgh just to go there.. well worth it..

Have a lot of the furniture and other stuff in the house.. :tu:

rickgig
01-10-2006, 02:15 PM
What was Ford thinking of with the drivers side rear top shock? I'd say 70% of my time was spent with the top bolt. I think it may have been easier to remove the bed to access the bolt.

But... it sure rides better now that it is all done.

I've done a lot of stuff on my truck and my list so far as things not to attempt again... are:

Lower ball joints
Front O2 sensor on the passenger side
Obviously... the drivers side rear shock.So I'll volunteer for nearly anything but those.

skalywags
01-10-2006, 09:03 PM
What was Ford thinking of with the drivers side rear top shock? I'd say 70% of my time was spent with the top bolt. I think it may have been easier to remove the bed to access the bolt.

I've done a lot of stuff on my truck and my list so far as things not to attempt again... are:

Lower ball joints
Obviously... the drivers side rear shock.So I'll volunteer for nearly anything but those.
I don't remember it being that bad! maybe because it was the same weekend i was trying to change the back tire on my yamaha. Now that's a pain in the a$$.

Mark #2
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM

Lower ball joints

Told you so on the number 3, and I agree on number 1 and 2 too:D

Headers, spark plugs, Metco lowers or 58" traction bars, etc. are no party either that is why we have Terry or lots and lots of beer for me.

rickgig
01-11-2006, 09:06 AM
I hear ya on the Terry comment.

Headers are in my near future since I can't get to the O2 sensor which is causing a code. Although I did disconnect my battery for about an hour and then went to inspection and it passed. While driving back from the inspection station the O2 sensor tripped a code and been there since.

Headers are a lame excuse for changing an O2 sensor but it works! :D