PDA

View Full Version : which traction bar would be the best

sonicblue04
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
what is the up's and down's on the diff. type of traction bars. I like the 54 or 58 inch torque arms. But on ruff roads will they hurt your steering. Will they be in the way of exhaust. slide a links i think will be good for rough roads and driving but don't think they will be as good as torque arms. metco upper and lowers not sure on any help will be greatly app.

Mark #2
01-11-2006, 07:39 PM
what is the up's and down's on the diff. type of traction bars. I like the 54 or 58 inch torque arms. But on ruff roads will they hurt your steering. Will they be in the way of exhaust. slide a links i think will be good for rough roads and driving but don't think they will be as good as torque arms. metco upper and lowers not sure on any help will be greatly app.

It all depends....
What are your goals?
The Metco upper and lowers are good units IMHO.

Tex Arcana
01-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey, good questions there. I'd like to know how they affect street/track handling, myself. I know they're supposed to prevent axle wrap and axle hop, but do they actually help the tires dig in on launch as well? Lately, I can't get traction to save my neck on launch.

sonicblue04
01-12-2006, 01:17 AM
my goals is to have the best for traction. But it is a everyday driver so i don't need it to mess up the handleing and steering. the way it looks the torque arms reach out farther and will help give better weight transfer and help put the tires to the ground better. but i don't want to hit any big pot holes and it cause the front end to get loose either though. that is where i think slide a link bars will come into affect at. bc they slide along a bar and give a little bf they really get to work. but i don't want anything hanging down low either though bc these louisiana rds aren't the best in the world. don't care about the top end just the stop light to stop light. but want the best for the buck. but don't want to mess up and handleing to bad either though. thanx

L8 APEX
01-12-2006, 01:36 AM
There are Zero ill effects to the Metco and 58" bars as handling are concerned they improve it in all areas. The 58" bars do interefere with exhaust and are prone to scraping the ground. If the truck is stock height use Metco Uppers, if it is lowered try the lowers. If you are not worried about scraping then run the 58" bars. I road raced a lowered truck with 58" bars with no problems.
You can see the forward bracket under the truck here.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15HRP3.jpg

Tex Arcana
01-12-2006, 01:38 AM
my goals is to have the best for traction. But it is a everyday driver so i don't need it to mess up the handleing and steering. the way it looks the torque arms reach out farther and will help give better weight transfer and help put the tires to the ground better. but i don't want to hit any big pot holes and it cause the front end to get loose either though. that is where i think slide a link bars will come into affect at. bc they slide along a bar and give a little bf they really get to work. but i don't want anything hanging down low either though bc these louisiana rds aren't the best in the world. don't care about the top end just the stop light to stop light. but want the best for the buck. but don't want to mess up and handleing to bad either though. thanx

I've been digging around on NLOC on this, and I'm finding that Ranchos are pretty popular, with some concern over hitting the exhaust pipes (haven't found much yet, tho on the issue).

What part of the state are you in? I spent 10 weeks in the southern part working for FEMA doing housing inspections. And yer right about the roads: I had the wife's Mariner down there, and it didn't have much trouble with them, but when she brought the L down for a visit, they damn near shook it apart! :eek2:

Tex Arcana
01-12-2006, 01:46 AM
There are Zero ill effects to the Metco and 58" bars as handling are concerned they improve it in all areas. The 58" bars do interefere with exhaust and are prone to scraping the ground. If the truck is stock height use Metco Uppers, if it is lowered try the lowers. If you are not worried about scraping then run the 58" bars. I road raced a lowered truck with 58" bars with no problems.
You can see the forward bracket under the truck here.
[img]http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15HRP3.jpg[/img
Dang, Terry, them tires look like rubber bands on those rims!! :eek2: Why?? :confused:

are the Metcos and 58" bars one and the same? Or are the 58"ers Ranchos?

jcblack
01-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Dang, Terry, them tires look like rubber bands on those rims!! :eek2: Why?? :confused:

are the Metcos and 58" bars one and the same? Or are the 58"ers Ranchos?

Those are his Hossier road racing tires.

StormShadow
01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
JLP is coming out with a new bassani 3 inch exhaust that will not clank on your 58' bars. I'm sure Terry can modify our current cat backs something like this if the clankin is getting on your nerves. hint hint Terry

BC Lightning
01-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm running the Metco lowers and love them, no problems with handling, and it is my daily driver

L8 APEX
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Rancho discontinued their bars last year. LFP and JLP make similar 58 and 54" bars. They are long bars that hang under the truck. Metcos are a totally different product the length of the spring only.
Hoosier R3S03 275/35/18