PDA

View Full Version : Why the north sucks

L8 APEX
01-13-2006, 09:53 AM
I have been looking all over the country for interesting places to ride an ATV. Those folks up north are strict and up tight compared to Texas.

Lame Northern rules:
Designated ATV trails on State Forest lands are open from the Friday before Memorial Day through the last full weekend in September. Some ATV trails reopen for winter use in conjunction with the snowmobile season from the day following the last day of the regular or extended deer season through April 1, conditions permitting. Check with the District Forester to be sure that winter use is permitted. The trail also may be open to snowmobiles.
Do not carry loaded firearms on your ATV (Texas does not define loaded).

What you need while riding
While riding your ATV you must carry with you or on the vehicle:

Certificate of registration
Proof of liability insurance
Registration plate affixed to the vehicle
Expiration stickers (does not apply to limited registration)The whole article.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/operation.aspx

Silver_2000
01-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Rules and shrinking areas to ride were reasons I sold my Quad years ago ....

tiffo60
01-13-2006, 10:03 AM
there are two places we always ride one is off of 51 north of decatur called rockyridge and the other mossier valley thats around gainsville but i cant remember exactly where its at, but its right on the oklahoma border, and neither places make you show anything to ride just pay up and have a blast

Mark #2
01-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Rules and shrinking areas to ride were reasons I sold my Quad years ago ....

Same here for the dirt bikes, once 190 was finished no where close by, and that was technically illegal, but was not inforced.

L8 APEX
01-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I never dreamed of putting a license plate on an atv. The Mosier Valley off 157 in Ft Worth closed two years back. Muenster is still cool. I was reading about riding in Oregon in the mountains. Those guys carry guns for mountain lion, bear, and meth heads. The govt saying carry unloaded guns is stupid. I may just stay in Texas, OK area. I understand that the northern folks don't like atv's messing up their well groomed snow when it is deep enough for snowmobiles. They will lynch you for tearing up their groomed snow trails!

tiffo60
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM
my bad not mossier, munster is what it was called

L-Fever
01-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Speaking of ATV riding areas,check out this link that Lee sent me to the new rules riding in Kermit!

http://www.predatorowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=3&topid=5&thrid=20949

QDRHRSE
01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
California has what I would consider the best riding in the world. Where I live its ATV heaven!!! I've ridden all over and nothing compares to our deserts for dirtbikes and ATV's. We have every kind of terrian you could imagine except snow. There aren't too many places up here where there is good riding + snow- at least not enough for sleds.

Silver_2000
01-13-2006, 03:44 PM
California has what I would consider the best riding in the world. Where I live its ATV heaven!!! I've ridden all over and nothing compares to our deserts for dirtbikes and ATV's. We have every kind of terrian you could imagine except snow. There aren't too many places up here where there is good riding + snow- at least not enough for sleds.

:ron: 20 years ago or so I rented a 300cc 3 wheeler ( yes they stil had them then ) and cruised the Mohave desert - It was cool the rental place told me what exit to get off the highway at and where I could park - I was the only one around and you got the impression you could ride forever. The trails would go from roads to trails to 4x4 trails to motorcyle trails as you headed up the bluffs...

I would love to take a trip like that again - Long weekend

Cops thought the little uhaul I rented to carry the 3 wheeler was stolen and abandoned
I came back to refuel and 2 cops had already let them selves in the truck and were calling in the paper work as I rode up .... /:ron:

dboat
01-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Geesh Terry, do you have to come on here dissing up the state I live in?

j/k

They are very serious about their snowmobiles up here.. its like a religion..

Dana

L8 APEX
01-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I was trying to find a way to come visit you up there. I thought maybe a cool ATV ride in the snow would be cool. Your state is difficult.

L8 APEX
01-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Damn Steve!! Do a search for Kermit Sand Hills Auction and read the thread over on AtvConnection. That guy comes across as a superdickhead! I hope those are just formalities and not strictly enforced. he doesn't get the point that nobody asked him to buy the dunes. It has been free for 40+ years and he isn't improving them at all. We need RV hookups, showers, water, electric, consessions to be worth a spit. Drinking and riding double on night rides goes on without question. Quiet after 10pm should be a crime in itself! During the summer we ride and party all night and sleep all day while it is hot! We ride with a crew of guys that live up there. They are scouting out new dunes to possibly ride or lease on our own. We have a 20+/- size group we can have fun all by ourselves if we find a place.

dboat
01-13-2006, 10:23 PM
I was trying to find a way to come visit you up there. I thought maybe a cool ATV ride in the snow would be cool. Your state is difficult.

Come on up!!! we would love to have you come up and stay for a while..

but saying my state is difficult would be an understatement..

Honestly, you are welcome any time..

Dana and Kim

QDRHRSE
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
If anybody comes up here we can do a riding Safari. If I know ahead of time we can make a big deal out of it. We love special occasions! Camping in the desert can be hazardous to your health unless you are already predisposed to partying non-stop.

Sixpipes
01-14-2006, 11:24 AM
there are two places we always ride one is off of 51 north of decatur called rockyridge and the other mossier valley thats around gainsville but i cant remember exactly where its at, but its right on the oklahoma border, and neither places make you show anything to ride just pay up and have a blast

I've ridden those areas. The one you're thinking of on the Red River is Bulcher. Mossier Valley was in the Euless area south of 110. :cool:

skalywags
01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
If anybody comes up here we can do a riding Safari. If I know ahead of time we can make a big deal out of it. We love special occasions! Camping in the desert can be hazardous to your health unless you are already predisposed to partying non-stop.
I may try to take you up on that. i am hoping to make atrip out here with my bike(s). I want to ride some of those dunes out there and want to ride Glen Helen. I just bought me a new '06 YZ250, and have an '03 as well. i have been wanting to get out there and ride. Don't they have certain times of the year you can ride two strokes on public land? Something about green and red stickers.
that's one good thing about living here in TX. We have a lot of tracks and places to ride, and do it all year. I actually get out at least every other weekend to ride. For people who ride here is a post on TX tracks. http://www.txtracks.com/

Beaudee
01-14-2006, 01:07 PM
They got to catch you first:rll: Just get one of these http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/quads/2006yamaha/preview_raptor.html Texas is pretty easy on atv's.I sto:tu: pped to talk to a game warden on lewisville lake on my buddys raptor and he said you better not let the core of eng. catch you on that around here.I said exactly they have to catch me first.:rll: The warden was pretty cool about it.

Beaudee
01-14-2006, 01:30 PM
One thing to remember when you buy an ATV,its best to buy out of state so you dont have to pay sales tax.I buy mine from Muskoge motor sports in Oklahoma.:tu:

skalywags
01-14-2006, 07:16 PM
One thing to remember when you buy an ATV,its best to buy out of state so you dont have to pay sales tax.I buy mine from Muskoge motor sports in Oklahoma.:tu:
there is a shop in Arlington (SLM) that will get one for you, from out of state. Pretty much any brand. It looks like you bought it out of state, but he has deals with the guys he deals with to that basically dealer prep and shipping that you would nomally pay, covers it. He got me me yamaha for the same price another guy paid for his from a shop in OK. But that guy had to drive 5 hrs each way. I drove to Arlington. So if any body is looking for a bike or four wheeler give him a call - Straightline Motor Sports (SLM) - Todd Tarver - 817-275-2228

QDRHRSE
01-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I may try to take you up on that. i am hoping to make atrip out here with my bike(s). I want to ride some of those dunes out there and want to ride Glen Helen. I just bought me a new '06 YZ250, and have an '03 as well. i have been wanting to get out there and ride. Don't they have certain times of the year you can ride two strokes on public land? Something about green and red stickers.
that's one good thing about living here in TX. We have a lot of tracks and places to ride, and do it all year. I actually get out at least every other weekend to ride. For people who ride here is a post on TX tracks. http://www.txtracks.com/

I have 3 or 4 tracks within an hour. Stickers and spark arrestors are not a big deal. I bought a new 05 YZ250 over the summer. I love it. It's my first 2 stroke since the first year Honda made the CRF450. I've been buying a new CRF every year until I heard about how light the new YZ250 was.

my2002lightning
01-20-2006, 02:15 AM
Beau/Tom/Terry,

Check out Little Sahara in OK. My aunt/uncle/cousins ride their 4-wheelers there regularly and have a blast - NE corner of the state.

Ronald