PDA

View Full Version : Change Spark Plugs -Emergency-

lenard_hester
01-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi there everyone. I am in a bit of a pickle. I was driving last night, and I hit it pretty hard and not my L is studdering and shaking like nothing else when I accelerate (similar symptoms to what mikelemoine described in his thread http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10374 except no check engine light) and it stalls when I try to go in reverse, unless I am giving it some gas. I think it may be the spark plugs went bad, and I was going to see if Terry could change them, but as my luck would have it, he is out of town this week.

Is there anyone else here who has experience changing the spark plugs and would be willing to help me do it? I need to do this as soon as possible and I would even be willing to pay (just not the outrageous prices most of the service stations charge.) Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Mark #2
01-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Maybe not plugs, check your vacuum lines first.

lenard_hester
01-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Well, I decided to give it a shot, I took my truck over to a friends house, and we started pulling plugs with the thought that we would go till we found an obviously bad one, and then call it a night to finish later. We got the 4 front plugs done with one of them being completely melted. I though that may have been the cause of my problems, but after starting the truck again, it was the same thing. Very rough when running, and this time the smell of gas was more prevalent, and by the time I got home, the red light that means either high oil pressure or high coolant temperature was coming on and off.

Now, my observations. First, what is the likelihood of having multiple plugs go bad? I know that the one we found was definitly bad, could I still have another? Second, for those of you who have changed the plugs before, what is the likelyhood of re-seating the coils improperly? When I was putting them back is, I just slid them into the hole until the holes for the retaining screw lined up. Is there any way of knowing if they are properly seated?

On Tuesday, we are going to try to get to the ones in the back to change those. Wish me luck.

Mark #2 any particular vacuum lines I need to look at? Although with the smell of gas present, I am pretty sure it is an ignition problem.

Silver_2000
01-16-2006, 10:33 AM
leonard

With the smell of gas you may have popped a plug... Assuming you smell it under th hood and not at tail pipe

there are 3 lines under the rubber intake boot - If the truck is idling you should be able to hear the VAc line leak if you listen carefully under the hood....

if you want you can borrow my plug tools - I have the snap on wrench and the 7mm swivel ....

Doug

lenard_hester
01-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure the smell of gas is coming from the exhaust. I don't think I popped a plug, as I understand popping a plug is very loud and I did not hear anything. I will check and see if I can hear any vac lines leaking.

Are the tools you are talking about anything special for working on the L plugs? We have a large assortment of sockets and a spark plug socket, but if there is something that will make getting to the back ones easier, I am all for it.

Another theory I had, my friend said that when he was putting one of the coils back in the rubber boot and interrior connector (not sure what that is called) separated from the coil, he snapped it back in place, but we were theorizing that maybe the metal connector inside of it did not properly reconnect with the coil, thus causing the cylnder to still not fire, is this scenario possible?

Silver_2000
01-16-2006, 12:51 PM
the tools I use to make it easier are shown here

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/sparkplugs/plugs.htm

The swivel makes it possible to get the 3rd coil pack screw off on the drivers side

The plug wrench allows you to start and pull the plugs by hand since its tall enough to stick out of the head...

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/sparkplugs/plugtools.jpg

Magnet is also key - as is some masking tape to attach the coil screw to the socket to make it easier to get them started ...

Doug

lenard_hester
01-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all your info. I think we have stuff similar to all of those. It looks like it is just going to take some time and elbow grease.

Any thoughts on the boot separating from the coil?

99WhiteBeast
01-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all your info. I think we have stuff similar to all of those. It looks like it is just going to take some time and elbow grease.

Any thoughts on the boot separating from the coil?

I've had the boot seperate from the coil on occasion while changing plugs and you can just snap it back in there. There is really no way to screw the coil pack seating to the plug. Just push it over the plug and line up the 7mm bolt and you should be good to go.

If you have melted a plug there may be others with the same issue. I would be glad to come take a look this afternoon- I'm in the Lewsiville area today. -shoot me a PM for a cell#

LS1 Eater
01-16-2006, 10:13 PM
If you cant get the back ones let me know, I would be more than happy to come give you a hand. I am just down the street from lewisville.

Josh

lenard_hester
01-16-2006, 11:56 PM
That would be great if you would like to help. We are going to be tackling it around 7:00 tomorrow (tuesday) night. If you would like to come, PM me where you are coming from and I will give you directions.

And you will also be able to see our go fast project. (Not Lightning related, but still fun)

DamonH
01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Lenard,

I'm by no means an expert, but I've changed my plugs before. I can swing by and maybe lend some advice if you want, just let me know where you are going to be. I have the 7mm swivel that I can bring as well. I'm in Lewisville, but don't get off work till 7pm, and by the time I get home, and eat dinner with the wife it may be 8:30-9 before I can get over. I don't mind checking it out though if you want, just let me know.

-Damon

99WhiteBeast
01-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Looks like you have some capable hands (Josh and Damon) willing to help out that are a lot closer than I.

I'm still willing to help though if needed

lenard_hester
01-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Thank you all for the offers of help, this is quite honestly more than I expected. Steve, I got your message, and I would hate for you to drive up here all the way from Arlington. Josh said he would comeout and help, so if you don't want to make the trek out here you don't have to, I think we should be able to cover it.

LS1 Eater
01-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Im still going to come over and give you a hand. I will give you a call around 5:30 or 6:00 to get directions.

Josh

lenard_hester
01-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Josh, thanks for your help, you saved us an unimaginable amount of time. I am still having some studdering and shaking, but the plugs needed to be changed anyway, and it did fix a lot of the problem.

lenard_hester
01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Well, I am still having a few problems, and I thought I would see if anyone has anything to add or suggest. I am still having a lot of studdering and shaking, although not as bad before the plugs were changed. And when I first start up, is sends out a huge cloud of white smoke. This is not just a little puff like normal, this is quite noticable. A note on the smoke, the first time I noticed it was after we changed the first 4 plugs, is there something we could have done to make this happen? After I stated having all these problems, I started the truck several times never with a noticable amount of smoke.

Here are some theories, any suggestions are welcome. Is it possible my chip came loose and would be causing this problem? Could, God forbid, I have burned out a ring at some point? If I remember correctly, there was some oil on one or two of the plugs when we pulled them out, but they may have just been burned, I will have to re-check that. I have heard about possible problems with the PCV system, would this cause any of this? Is there any way to test if coils are good or bad? I had the thought that maybe a coil went bad and that would cause the ignition problems I seem to be having.

Once again, thatks to all who have been helping me.

lenard_hester
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Arrrrrg...I just went out for lunch and I think it may have gotten worse. Since last night, just driving home from my freinds and to work, I think I have burned a quart of oil. On another note, I now have a black, oderless liquid spewing out of my exhaust. I don't think it is oil, since it does not smell or feel like it. It may be water since it has no odor, but from where? And the smoking problem has gotten much worse, the more I think about it the more this sounds like a piston ring going out. This sucks.

Silver_2000
01-18-2006, 01:10 PM
could also be a head gasket

My 2000 lost the pass side head gasket 3 times

Check for oil leak under pass rear of engine

Doug

lenard_hester
01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I think this whole thing is getting out of hand. I think I will take it back to stock, and take it in to have it worked on, I am pretty sure I still have an extended warranty on it, I was just hoping I could do it myself. Oh well.

Mark #2
01-18-2006, 02:06 PM
What Doug said above.
Blown head gasket. The white smoke is probably coolant.

I think that a blown head gasket is the knock sensor in these engines, especially when you have melted plugs as well.

lenard_hester
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Ok, assuming it is a head gasket, first, would that cause all the shaking, and second, what is the level of effort in replacing it?

Mark #2
01-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Ok, assuming it is a head gasket, first, would that cause all the shaking, and second, what is the level of effort in replacing it?

What do your plugs look like?
Drain the Antifreeze and see if there is oil in it.
Look for external oil leaks at the head to block seam, this is easier if you pull out the inner fender liners(only 5 or so little screws)

Mark

lenard_hester
01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I thought the plugs looked fine (except for the one that was melted and the other that was welded together).

I will check the antifreeze when I get out of work and for oil leaks.

Silver_2000
01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
when my 2000 blew its gasket it ONLY leaked externally BUT yours could be different - THe 99 and 2000s has block to head clearance issues that resulted in the pass head leadking in he rear - I could tell by the sell of mobil one hitting the headers a drop at a time. If you dont have header or its not hitting the exhaust you would see very small amounts of il dripping down the back corner of the engine.

The miss and shaking could be from the plugs already fouled, from gas passing between cylinder from coolant leaking in and trying to get burned - who knows