PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signals

Beaudee
01-23-2006, 11:08 PM
I thought these were cool,anyone have/installed these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLuE-LeD-TURN-SIGNAL-FORD-F-150-F-150-LIGHTNING-ALL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQitemZ8032391 402QQrdZ1

PoorSvtman
01-24-2006, 12:13 AM
you can get them at pep boys. They are just a plastic arrow with some leds that stick to the mirror with double sided tape...

Tex Arcana
01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Speaking of which, how does one change the turn signal lamps that are built into the outside edge of the mirror housing, like in my '01?

wesman
01-25-2006, 04:47 PM
you think those are cool :confused:

Look very boy ricer to me :vomit:

--wes

PoorSvtman
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Speaking of which, how does one change the turn signal lamps that are built into the outside edge of the mirror housing, like in my '01?

Pop the hood and look where the turn signal slides into.. Should be one screw, take it out and the signal slides out...

wesman
01-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Pop the hood and look where the turn signal slides into.. Should be one screw, take it out and the signal slides out...

lol....let's read that again slowly

Last I checked, the side mirrors weren't under the hood :throw:

--wes

PoorSvtman
01-25-2006, 05:53 PM
lol....let's read that again slowly

Last I checked, the side mirrors weren't under the hood :throw:

--wes

haha oops lol:throw:

But tex you dont change the lights in the mirrors with turnsignals.. its a led and if it ever goes out you probly just have to buy a new mirror

Tex Arcana
01-25-2006, 06:02 PM
haha oops lol:throw:

But tex you dont change the lights in the mirrors with turnsignals.. its a led and if it ever goes out you probly just have to buy a new mirror

Not this one, it's a light at the outer edge of the mirror, not the LED illuminated arrow like on the Expy's.

PoorSvtman
01-25-2006, 06:03 PM
probly still a led.. ive never seen them go out or heard of them going out

Tex Arcana
01-25-2006, 08:22 PM
probly still a led.. ive never seen them go out or heard of them going out
THey do'nt look like LEds, and the drive'rs side is out. :(

BC Lightning
01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
no they aren't LEDs, just rotate the mirror around and you can see the screws that hold it together, take them off and pop the front piece off and you can get to them

BC Lightning
01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
you think those are cool :confused:

Look very boy ricer to me :vomit:

--wes

+1 :vomit:

microsuck
01-26-2006, 02:01 PM
FYI, according to the state, turn signals have to be either clear, amber, or a shade in between for the front, and amber, red, or a shade in between for the rear. Im not sure what the sides can be, but i doubt its blue. That's prob reserved for the po-po.

Tex Arcana
01-26-2006, 11:55 PM
FYI, according to the state, turn signals have to be either clear, amber, or a shade in between for the front, and amber, red, or a shade in between for the rear. Im not sure what the sides can be, but i doubt its blue. That's prob reserved for the po-po.
Actually, the rule is that there must be amber turn signals in front; red or amber turn signals in back, with red brake lights in back; no red or blue in front or on side, and no white or blue in back except when the car is reversing (white).

Also, atop that, there must be a minimum of 4 square inches of amber reflectors on each side in front, and 4 square inches of red reflectors on each side in back. It's *this* little detail most ricers with their "clear corners" tend to ignore or forget, and the cops SHOULD bust.

PoorSvtman
01-27-2006, 12:11 AM
you can have clear or orange bulb up front and a orange reflector

Tex Arcana
01-27-2006, 12:48 AM
you can have clear or orange bulb up front and a orange reflector

I think they're lax on the bulb color, but I do'nt think they're lax on the reflector color. Pretty much every car built has the orange reflectors built in, without exception, so I think the law is clear on that. :tu:

Silver_2000
01-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Actually, the rule is that there must be amber turn signals in front; red or amber turn signals in back, with red brake lights in back; no red or blue in front or on side, and no white or blue in back except when the car is reversing (white).

Also, atop that, there must be a minimum of 4 square inches of amber reflectors on each side in front, and 4 square inches of red reflectors on each side in back. It's *this* little detail most ricers with their "clear corners" tend to ignore or forget, and the cops SHOULD bust.

If it was me I wouldnt put my knowledge of whats legal against Microsucks.... He can play the whole been there done that got the tshirt ( or ticket ) card ... LOL

Tex Arcana
01-28-2006, 01:02 AM
If it was me I wouldnt put my knowledge of whats legal against Microsucks.... He can play the whole been there done that got the tshirt ( or ticket ) card ... LOL

Ther's a difference between what laws are on the books, and what laws are actually enforced, witness the bumper-height laws that are repeatedly ignored by all manufacturers.

microsuck
01-28-2006, 11:01 AM

Oh, he is soooooo funny.

Oh, and here it is, straight from the DPS website

3. Turn signal lamp mounting. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signalling, shall emit a white or amber light or any shade of light between white and amber.

The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signalling, shall emit a red or amber light or any shade of color between red and amber.

Basically exactally what I said. You can read it here. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/rules_list.asp?itemdrop=Turn+Signal+Lamps&rejectsubmit=Go

If the manufacturer breaks the rule then I think its different. My corvette didnt meet the 18" of bumper clearance rule. But thats not my fault. Installing blue turn signals however, would be.

Tex Arcana
01-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Oh, he is soooooo funny.

Oh, and here it is, straight from the DPS website

Basically exactally what I said. You can read it here. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/rules_list.asp?itemdrop=Turn+Signal+Lamps&rejectsubmit=Go

If the manufacturer breaks the rule then I think its different. My corvette didnt meet the 18" of bumper clearance rule. But thats not my fault. Installing blue turn signals however, would be.

Yeah, you're right: I think I was also targeting stop lamps, while MUST be red AND have 4 sq inches of red reflector area on each side.

Bumpers: hell, I think they've all decided to ignore it, the only time it pisses me off is when someone gets killed because of a vast disparity between bumper heights, especially with big rigs and lifted trucks. :mad:

microsuck
01-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah, you're right: I think I was also targeting stop lamps, while MUST be red AND have 4 sq inches of red reflector area on each side.

Bumpers: hell, I think they've all decided to ignore it, the only time it pisses me off is when someone gets killed because of a vast disparity between bumper heights, especially with big rigs and lifted trucks. :mad:

I've got a ranch hand on my cummins. Its nice and high off the ground. I like it. :) I feel much safer. And I have also noticed that no one cuts me off anymore........ funny how that works out.:nono:

Tex Arcana
01-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I've got a ranch hand on my cummins. Its nice and high off the ground. I like it. :) I feel much safer. And I have also noticed that no one cuts me off anymore........ funny how that works out.:nono:

:throw: MURDERER!!! :throw:

One of these days, someone with a whole lot of money who gets his extra-special ride destroyed by an over-height or under-height bumper is going to start a huge lawsuit--or, more believeable, someone is going to get killed by a lifted vehicle with a bumper like yours, and the class-action lawsuit will spread like wildfire, affecting everyone from your insurance company to the government and law enforcement. In Europe, they're already passing laws to alter hood and front end shapes to alleviate pedestrian impacts, and bumper laws will be next.

I guess the next question is, what price life? In your cummins, you're pretty well protected, from the drop-out enging mounts to the beams in the doors: do you *really* need a bumper that someone in a Civic will eat in an accident?

:nono: yourself. :(

microsuck
01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Its still street legal......................

Mark #2
01-29-2006, 12:11 AM
http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/97-lift-laws/lift-laws.html

The K5 is at 48", so okay in Tx.

Tex Arcana
01-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Its still street legal......................
But is it???
EDIT: accoriding to Mark#2, yeah; I'm looking a bit deeper, tho...

Check this out:
http://x003.uploaderx.net/x/motivetter.jpg

Think this would've happened if the government, the manufacturers, and the trucking industry in general actually followed the laws as they're stated on the books (AFAIK, btw)?? Back in the 70's, a company introduced a bumper device for trailers and large trucks, that not only adhered to the proper bumper heights, but also was hella safe, because it was sturdier, and had a pair of large spring/damper units to absorb most of the impact. If this rig had one of those, it's possible the id10t in the 'vette might've lived--yeah, the 'vette driver was obviously an idiot for driveing as fast as he had to have been; but, it's a well-documented fact that most cars and some full-size pickup trucks that encounter rigs like that usually lose badly, and the driver's end up dead. If the effing feds, and the trucking industry, saw the big picture, they wou'dve jumped on board with a then-$250 device, universally.

But I guess it doens't matter what a life costs... as long as it doesn't cost anyone a $. :flaming:

Tex Arcana
01-29-2006, 12:31 AM
http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/97-lift-laws/lift-laws.html

The K5 is at 48", so okay in Tx.
Hell, according to that site, you could life to 7 feet and still me legal, as long as your headlights were 52" up. ANd no bumper laws. :crying:

I swear, they're trying to kill us... :hammer:

dboat
01-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Tex Tex Tex, there are enough accidents in DFW alone that if it was that unsafe and people were getting killed, it would have happened so many times that it would have required a change in the regs.. but it aint happening.. lighten up on this one. maybe because guys like Andrew are so high up, they can keep from having an accident because their field of vision is unimpaired.

Dana

microsuck
01-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Dana is right. I NEVER slam on my brakes, and other people behind me appreciate that. Because I dont have to. I can see over all the other cars and never get caught up in a "wall of death" when everyone slams on their brakes at the same time. When im driving the corvette if the person in front of me never even hits his brakes before rear ending someone, I sure as heck better have left enough space between me and him, so I can stop in time. For the sake of the drivers behind me. Cause his lights will be all I can see. Same is true for most models of cars. Otherwise its going to be an insurance company convention. I like to think of myself as a "forward observer" for the cars behind me.

PoorSvtman
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Tex, ok lifted trucks arent safe so to speak in your eyes... Ok I lowered your truck front and rear... So now the bumpers are different and well that could posibly cause some trouble in a wreck...

Tex Arcana
01-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Hey Tex, ok lifted trucks arent safe so to speak in your eyes... Ok I lowered your truck front and rear... So now the bumpers are different and well that could posibly cause some trouble in a wreck...

actually, it'll make it easier becasue I'm now closer to the bumper heights of most cars on the road.

[:ron:]Case in point: 1995, drving under LBJ, going northbound on Josey, turning left off the service road to Josey, February, raining and very cold; I drive under the bridge, moving about 15mph, see a BMW and a Ford pickup in the lane ahead to turn left, and I tough my brakes and start sliding uncontrollably, couldn't change lanes, and slid right into the back of the truck, pushing him into the BMW. My fault. But the damage would've been totally minimal if it weren't for the fact that my front bumper missed his by less than a half inch!:nono: Oh, my car was a 1980 Toyota Supra, and it WAS in excellent shape 'til then. And, what I slid on was a mush consisting of nearly-freezing water and cardboard box fiber. :(

Another: got rear-ended in a 1979 Supra at a light, I was stationary, the car behind me (a Maxima) was moving about 10mph, no damage to either car, thanks to 15-mph bumpers AND bumpers that match heights![/:ron:]

Tex Arcana
01-30-2006, 02:14 AM
Tex Tex Tex, there are enough accidents in DFW alone that if it was that unsafe and people were getting killed, it would have happened so many times that it would have required a change in the regs.. but it aint happening.. lighten up on this one. maybe because guys like Andrew are so high up, they can keep from having an accident because their field of vision is unimpaired.

Dana

Except for that 25 foot zone where everythign disappears under the end of the hood or tailgate. :hammer:

It happens every day. The present semi "bumpers" are a result of the lobbyists in the 70's pushing (read: paying) for laws that prevented somethign safer beign implemented. And those kinds of accidents happen all the time. But, this really points up the truth about our society today: life doens't matter a whit, if it costs money. :crying:

Tex Arcana
01-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Dana is right. I NEVER slam on my brakes, and other people behind me appreciate that. Because I dont have to. I can see over all the other cars and never get caught up in a "wall of death" when everyone slams on their brakes at the same time. When im driving the corvette if the person in front of me never even hits his brakes before rear ending someone, I sure as heck better have left enough space between me and him, so I can stop in time. For the sake of the drivers behind me. Cause his lights will be all I can see. Same is true for most models of cars. Otherwise its going to be an insurance company convention. I like to think of myself as a "forward observer" for the cars behind me.

AS a driver, you may be the exception that proves the rule, but I still feel your vehicle is unsafe to other people, even if them hitting you is their fault. So many accidents sould've been less fatal if the bumpers actually hit each other, instead of missing and causing a shitload of damage that exacerbates the injuries. Crush zones ain't worth **** if you don't hit 'em!! :nono: