PDA

View Full Version : Kenne Bell Autorotor

StormShadow
10-17-2002, 10:36 PM
Anyone install one of these yet?? I saw an article in Truckin' october 2002 where they compare the eaton to the autorotor. But you know how magazines lie. (just wondering what you guys thought about it)

wesman
10-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by dod racing
Anyone install one of these yet?? I saw an article in Truckin' october 2002 where they compare the eaton to the autorotor. But you know how magazines lie. (just wondering what you guys thought about it)

I'm seriously considering it...downfall is if you want to get everything out of it (ie. your moneys worth) you need to spring for a built motor as well ( another 4k)

--wes

devildog92
10-19-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by wesman
I'm seriously considering it...downfall is if you want to get everything out of it (ie. your moneys worth) you need to spring for a built motor as well ( another 4k)

--wes

I am considering it as well...:tu:

I spoke to Terry and he will find out about it next week. I was doing some research on the 'net and I came across this article about a KB on a 'brand-X' vehicle. The reason why I still feel this is relevant is due to the numbers it created with only 6lbs of intercooled boost on a smaller V-8 (only 20 shy of ours). Terry said if I just did the swap boost=boost, the motor would hold up, and I believe it. boost=boost would be about 50-60hp more than what I have now, + leave plenty of room for increase later when the lower is built :beer:

wesman
10-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by devildog92
I am considering it as well...:tu:

I spoke to Terry and he will find out about it next week. I was doing some research on the 'net and I came across this article about a KB on a 'brand-X' vehicle. The reason why I still feel this is relevant is due to the numbers it created with only 6lbs of intercooled boost on a smaller V-8 (only 20 shy of ours). Terry said if I just did the swap boost=boost, the motor would hold up, and I believe it. boost=boost would be about 50-60hp more than what I have now, + leave plenty of room for increase later when the lower is built :beer:

Let's clarify what Terry meant by boost = boost......all boost is not equal. I'm not sure what he meant by that so i'll let him elaborate a bit but I can assure you that all boost is not equal.

I agree that if you just slap the KB on and run no lower pulley at all you will gain the 50-60 you're looking for. That gain is from the more efficient design of the KB and the amount of air it is flowing compared to the stock Eaton. You will be running more boost just bolting it on simply because it is more efficient and will create more boost because of the increased amount of air it is flowing. In the turbo world this is reffered to as CFM's, the higher the CFM rating the more boost and power the turbo can crank out. I think that the bottom end will be ok as long as you don't get out of hand, no 6-10# pulleys and all should be good . The true gains of the swap aren't going to be seen until you turn up the wick a bit 14-15psi+ , that's when it will be head and shoulders above the Eaton...because the Eaton is starting to create a lot of heat at this point, we all know what heat does to our engines.

I might just go ahead with the KB and run a 2 or 4 # lower and see how long she lasts :)

I'll elaborate more about the boost=boost thing when I see what Terry meant :tu:

--wes

--wes

Red2002
10-19-2002, 10:42 AM
I might just go ahead with the KB and run a 2 or 4 # lower and see how long she lasts :)

You nailed it Was. Excellent description IMO.

BTW, can I have a loan and I'll 'go in' with you on the KB? :D

L8 APEX
10-19-2002, 11:07 AM
It is fairly straight forward boost=boost is the same as 10=10psi or 12=12psi blower discharge. Most of the gain is strictly thermal efficiency letting you run more timing etc.. You can run the psi up from there but the proverbial ice gets thinner as you push it over 450-475rwhp without Manley rods.

wesman
10-19-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
It is fairly straight forward boost=boost is the same as 10=10psi or 12=12psi blower discharge. Most of the gain is strictly thermal efficiency letting you run more timing etc.. You can run the psi up from there but the proverbial ice gets thinner as you push it over 450-475rwhp without Manley rods.

The numbers may be the same but the air certainly is not. If say you were running 18psi on the stock Eaton is certainly not the same as running 18psi on the KB. The heat that the Eaton is putting off is working against you and heating up that cool, dense air that makes hp.

I have first hand experience with a few turbo applications where a smaller turbo is pumping say 19psi but it is way beyond it's max effieciency. It is making say 400 rwhp. The same exact engine setup and switching out to a larger more effiecient turbo setup and run 19psi it puts down 475 rwhp and it's only getting started. Where the numbers may be the same, the effieciency and the discharged air makes a huge difference. In these applications nothing was changed (no timing advances,race fuel etc)

In this regard boost is not boost. I'll take the challenge any day with a fist full of hundreds that if I have a KB running 18 psi with the exact same engine set up (timing,fuel etc) as someone else with a Eaton running that same 18 psi the KB will put down way more power every time.

--wes

L8 APEX
10-19-2002, 11:50 AM
I don't know where the "challenge" is. Everyone agrees the same boost will make 50+ more HP. I am saying that you can't run the KB 18psi safely because of the stock bottom end because it WILL be making over 100hp and @150ft lbs more torque than the Eaton at 18psi. That is more than the stock rods would like:)

L8 APEX
10-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Where the numbers may be the same, the effieciency and the discharged air makes a huge difference. In these applications nothing was changed (no timing advances,race fuel etc)

That is the same thing I said above?? The same psi will make more power through more efficient air.:confused:

wesman
10-19-2002, 12:02 PM
Most of the gain is strictly thermal efficiency letting you run more timing etc.

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying here....they way I interpreted it was that the gains you would see came from timing advance etc. You mentioned the thermal effieciency but the timing remark is what threw me off.

So it seems we are getting to the same point in different ways...I still stand beside the fact that all boost is not equal. The number may be the same but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

--wes

wesman
10-19-2002, 12:04 PM
That is the same thing I said above?? The same psi will make more power through more efficient air.:confused:

Your remark about the timing is what threw me off. I was pointing out that all things being equal (timing, fuel etc) all boost is not the same.

--wes

L8 APEX
10-19-2002, 12:08 PM

So it seems we are getting to the same point in different ways...I still stand beside the fact that all boost is not equal. The number may be the same but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

--wes
I agree that is why guys are looking to spend 3-4K on a blower to replace a blower:crazy:. The Boost=boost term came from Devildogs post and it simply stated running both compressors at the same psi his terms"boost=boost" would gain 50+hp:tu:

wesman
10-19-2002, 01:14 PM
I agree that is why guys are looking to spend 3-4K on a blower to replace a blower:crazy:

This I don't understand at all.

Did you not buy an exhaust system to replace an exhaust system? an air filter to replace an air filter? a throttle body to replace a throttle body?

It's all in the name of HP.....we modify our trucks to make them have more HP and get faster. The only way to do that is to change out to more efficiently designed products.

What would you suggest we do rather than upgrade to a more effiecient blower ?

--wes

L8 APEX
10-19-2002, 03:17 PM
I don't know how to say it. I remember how much grief I got for buying a 3500 dollar set of brakes for my truck. In over a year I have not had another customer spend that much for more efficient brakes. I think a lot of L owners will say they paid 32K for a supercharged truck they are not spending anoth 3K+ for a better charger. Better to buy a regular truck and ATI the thing. Blah blah, I will be disappointed in those who will spend 3 grand on a better blower and think 3K for better brakes is crazy :rolleyes: You gotta have the wo to match the go!