PDA

View Full Version : Cracking stock '02 rotors?

my2002lightning
02-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I keep a fairly close-eye on the L and have noticed these small radial cracks/fissures only on the stock front rotors - the rear rotors don't have this condition.

All four corners were turned with fresh pads installed at Bob Tomes / McKinney when she hit 30k (now at 40k).

Anyone else experiencing this or know what maybe causing this? I'm starting to look at those PR's EBCs or Brembo's slotted setup.

Thanks.

Ronald

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/MVC-838F.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/MVC-836F.JPG

Tex Arcana
02-09-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm surprised, because you never drive faster'n 30mph... :d

Seriously, I'm rather surprised because you really don't abuse your brakes (unless your'e a left-foot braker and ride the pedal with your left foot). Are you getting any pulsing in the pedal (indicating warping)? I think *some* small cracks are considered normal, but I've never realyl experienced them, except in rotors that were seriously abused (read: locked caliper).

If they're not warped, and you're braking fine, they might be considered "normal", but I would consider taking it in first and seeing if it's a warranty issue. AFTER they replace them (if they do), then I'd consider something else. :tu:

my2002lightning
02-09-2006, 01:31 AM
No left-foot braking and some pulsing. I'm driving the L on a daily-basis and am driving it harder than I have before. No pulling left-or-right either.

I sprung for the 7 yr. / 70k ESP, too.

I'm surprised, because you never drive faster'n 30mph... :d

Seriously, I'm rather surprised because you really don't abuse your brakes (unless your'e a left-foot braker and ride the pedal with your left foot). Are you getting any pulsing in the pedal (indicating warping)? I think *some* small cracks are considered normal, but I've never realyl experienced them, except in rotors that were seriously abused (read: locked caliper).

If they're not warped, and you're braking fine, they might be considered "normal", but I would consider taking it in first and seeing if it's a warranty issue. AFTER they replace them (if they do), then I'd consider something else. :tu:

dboat
02-09-2006, 05:54 AM
looks pretty normal to me..

QDRHRSE
02-09-2006, 02:08 PM
How did bum leg, broke back, stiff neck, sore arm Ronald manage to get his brakes that hot? Who'da thunk it possible? Maybe he rides the brake to keep it @ 30.

98Cobra
02-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Maybe they are cracked from little to no use?

tliss
02-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Maybe they are cracked from little to no use?

Kinda what I was thinking. Tires that get no use get hard and crack, so why wouldn't brakes under the same circumstances have the same outcome? :d

I've got just over 40K miles on my 01, never had a brake job or turned the rotors and I have no cracks.

And by the way...Brembos would be MAJOR OVERKILL for you. Like trying to put air brakes on a tortoise...it's just not necessary! $3K for front brakes is a little steep if you're not going to put them to work.

Tom

sonicbluetommy
02-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Warped my stock 04 front rotors at 36,000. Damn scenic hwy 71 in Arkansas.:hammer: But it was fun!!!!! Highly recommended for the views and the 20mph switchbacks in the mountains.

EBC's--JUST DO IT!!! You wont regret it....stops way quicker the same size rotor as teh stockers could and that hissing sound from the dimples is pretty cool.

Tex Arcana
02-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Kinda what I was thinking. Tires that get no use get hard and crack, so why wouldn't brakes under the same circumstances have the same outcome? :d

I've got just over 40K miles on my 01, never had a brake job or turned the rotors and I have no cracks.

And by the way...Brembos would be MAJOR OVERKILL for you. Like trying to put air brakes on a tortoise...it's just not necessary! $3K for front brakes is a little steep if you're not going to put them to work.

Tom

What he said: BBK is way overkill, you dont drive hard enough to need 'em.

My advice stands: get 'em replaced under warranty, then consider a brake upgrade, the EBCs would work fine for your application. :tu:

dboat
02-09-2006, 07:12 PM
What he said: BBK is way overkill, you dont drive hard enough to need 'em.

My advice stands: get 'em replaced under warranty, then consider a brake upgrade, the EBCs would work fine for your application. :tu:

not sure he REALLY needs EBC's.. :ron: doesnt drive hard enough to press the stockers not alone the EBC's.. however, I will say I LOVE my EBC's.. I got the first set in town from Terry and they are fantastic.. knana

Dana

my2002lightning
02-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I wasn't referring to the Gran Turismo bad-boys, but these Brembo slotted replacements with their pads/fluid.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Brembo&model=Sport+Slotted+Rotor

http://www.tirerack.com/images/brakes/brembo/sport_slotted_sm.jpg

The EBC slotted/dimpled setup is sounding better. :cool: Oh, my brake-fluid was topped off by Bob-Tomes for my 30k brake-pad change / rotor-turn as they topped off the fluid level then on 4/13/05. Here it is this evening at 40k+. :rolleyes:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/MVC-840F.JPG

Oh, also for those interested in the cruise-control recall fix, it's available and ready to install via the dealerships.

Speaking of chiropractic issues, I left work and was running all over Greenville Ave. in Allen to find my new chiropractor. I didn't think I was going that fast through the school-zone, but Allen PD was rather hard-nosed and less than understanding of my schedule.:evil

24-in-a-20 school-zone, no front-plates and an expired inspection sticker. :rolleyes::hammer: They zapped me with LIDAR - the V1 went apey, but I was too busy reading my scribble-notes and looking for street signs to promptly mash on the brakes.

Maybe I can use my Brake-Issue defense in court.... wait, I'd be shooting myself in the foot in this traffic matter, nevermind. :d

They mentioned that they are making a point of cracking-down on "hot-rods" with no front license plates, btw. :cool:

I noticed that the tkt. notes "No front license plate displayed."

It's only money. :D

Ronald

Tex Arcana
02-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Looks like you might have a leak somewhere, if you're low that much on fluid. Unless they *didn't* top off like you thought.

REally wierd, tho, unless you're eating your rear brakes and just don't know it. :confused:

dboat
02-10-2006, 04:13 AM
not to take this :0fftopic but I thought they passed a state law in Tx where you didnt have to have the front plate anymore.. to save money for the state?
Outside of recalls, I try to NOT let the dealerships work on mine..

Dana

p.s. get the EBC's, you wont be disappointed

dboat
02-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Ronald,
Cant believe that you havent posted about getting some from your old friend Ruslow?
Dana

gagspa
02-10-2006, 11:07 AM
not to take this :0fftopic but I thought they passed a state law in Tx where you didnt have to have the front plate anymore.. to save money for the state?
I believe that it died in session and never made it into a law.

Moonshine
02-10-2006, 11:46 AM

Correct.

Tex Arcana
02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
bastards... jsut a way to make more money :hammer:

dboat
02-10-2006, 07:41 PM
bastards... jsut a way to make more money :hammer:

Actually I would think just the opposite.. they would make you pay the same amount or more but only give you one plate... the savings in production costs would add up.. save the state a lot of money..

yes they would miss the ticket revenue but if this board is a reflection of what goes on out there in general.. most that ran without one never get a ticket.. I never got one on the multiple vehicles I had over the years without a front plate.

Dana

Tex Arcana
02-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Actually I would think just the opposite.. they would make you pay the same amount or more but only give you one plate... the savings in production costs would add up.. save the state a lot of money..

yes they would miss the ticket revenue but if this board is a reflection of what goes on out there in general.. most that ran without one never get a ticket.. I never got one on the multiple vehicles I had over the years without a front plate.

Dana

Yeah, but you're forgetting the local municipalities lobbies... they're the ones who stand to lose the money generated by tickets, so maybe tht's the deal.

dboat
02-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but you're forgetting the local municipalities lobbies... they're the ones who stand to lose the money generated by tickets, so maybe tht's the deal.

true true

Mark #2
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Agree, I have posted this before but I didn't even get home from the dealer without a front plate (Richardson), that is why I put it on as ugly as it is.

And on topic my rotors look very similar to yours.

L-Fever
02-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Agree, I have posted this before but I didn't even get home from the dealer without a front plate (Richardson), that is why I put it on as ugly as it is.

Same hairline cracks for my stock 02' rotors with 42k and the original pads...

Tex Arcana
02-11-2006, 12:43 AM

off topic: in almost 5 years, Iv'e gotten 2 warnings, summer 2004, for the plate.

on topic: mebbe I need to have a longer look at mine, they might be looking bad, and I KNOW they've been abused worse. :d

L-Fever
02-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Anyone try these Ruslow rotors yet?

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Front_Rotors.jpg

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Rear_Rotors.jpg

I'm running them now with some Hawk HPS pads and will let you know after they are "steet tested"...

Tex Arcana
02-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Anyone try these Ruslow rotors yet?

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Front_Rotors.jpg

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Rear_Rotors.jpg

I'm running them now with some Hawk HPS pads and will let you know after they are "steet tested"...

:rll: I like "steet testing" too... :tongue:

Are the rear rotors any different than our stock ones, as in thickness or whatnot? I've read that BBK upgrades can actually increase rear rotor temps in racing..:confused:

BigBobsL
02-15-2006, 05:47 AM
You will have much less cracking and bluing of the rotors if you stay away from ceramic pads. Suggest Hawk HPS to avoid cracks, just a bit more dust though.

Tex Arcana
02-16-2006, 12:07 AM
You will have much less cracking and bluing of the rotors if you stay away from ceramic pads. Suggest Hawk HPS to avoid cracks, just a bit more dust though.

I checked my rotors recently, and didn't see any real cracking, so I don't think my NAPA CEramix's are causing any problems... ;)