PDA

View Full Version : SVT Club of North Texas Track Day @ MSR

GGus
02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
An invitation for TALON members to join us for a little open road driving...

Event: SVT Club of North Texas Track Day
With: Apex Driving Academy
When: Saturday, March 18 2006 at 8:30am
Where: Motorsport Ranch, Hwy 377 Cresson, TX
Cost: $100 for SVT Club of North Texas members - $130 for non-members

Our club track day for 2006 will be held at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, Texas on Saturday, March 18. The event is being organized by the Apex Driving Academy, and is designed to cater for both beginners and more experienced members. There will be a full day program which includes classroom instruction, lead/follow paced laps to help familiarize drivers with the circuit, and regular un-paced sessions. There will be 2 run groups based on drivers experience. Passing will be permitted on the 3 longer straights, but the lead car must signal to pass. In car instruction will be available, but at an additional cost on a per session basis.

The first classroom session will start at 8:30am sharp, so it is advisable to be at the track by around 8:00am. Helmets will be required (Snell SA95 or M95 or later only), and available for rent for $10 if you do not have your own. Driving suits will not be required, although you are welcome to wear one of you have one. Long pants will be required - no shorts - so jeans or cotton pants, and cotton T-shirt are appropriate, along with sensible closed toe shoes - no sandles. Apex will also have CG-Locks (seat belt locks that help you stay put in the seat when cornering) available on a try and buy basis for $35.

As the club is contributing to the cost of the event in order to keep costs down for members, lunch will not be provided for this event - either bring a picnic lunch or there is food such as Subway available in Cresson. We will provide some water and drinks, however, you can never have too much water at these events, especially if it is warm, so bring plenty of reserve. You will also need a hat, sunscreen and chairs, and Easy-Up shelters are permitted at the track.

There is nothing special you need to do to your car to run this event other than ensure your brakes and cooling systems are in good order. Change your brake fluid if it is more than a year old, and performance brake pads are worth it in our heavy Mustangs. You will also want to change your engine oil before the event if it has more than 1000 miles on it. You will be required to complete a Tech Inspection sheet for your car (see attached file) - if you are not experienced at driving your car on a road course, it is recommended that you have a qualified mechanic do the inspection, or an experienced track driver or instructor. If you need help with this, contact Daron at daron@svttexas.com.

If you are new to Performance driving on a road course, it is easy to imagine that it might be hard on your car - this is not the case, especially if you are beginner - the car will be way faster than you will for some time to come! Driving the road course is easier on your driveline than a trip down the drag strip, and no harder on the car than an interstate road trip (but without the bugs and stone chips!). This is not a racing or timed event, but rather a High Performance Driving School, and passing is strickly controlled and quite safe. Most insurance companies will still cover your car for this type of event - check with them if you have concerns.

As an added bonus, we hope to be able to give club members who enter this event a ride in the passenger seat of an American Iron Mustang race car - more on this when details are confirmed. The full event program will be made available closer to the date.

Cost for the event will be $100 for SVT Club of North Texas members and their families, and $130 for non-members. This is fantastic value compared to the cost of most track events these days! Apex have been very accomodating with their pricing, however, the club is still subsidizing the cost in order to make it as affordable as possible for members to participate, hence the difference in price for non-members. Of course, non-members are welcome to join the club and sign up for the track event at the members only price!

Sign up and payment for this event will be directly to the SVT Club - details on how to this will be posted soon. For more information and to RSVP, visit our Track Day Thread (http://forums.svttexas.com/showthread.php?t=8617).

L8 APEX
02-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Will they allow F250's:D

Tex Arcana
03-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Will they allow F250's:D

Bet they would.. make for a helluva laugh, almost as much as when I ran my L down there in 2004. :d

Actually, don't you have a 'vette?? Be a chance to run it cheap. :tu:

L8 APEX
03-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Bet they would.. make for a helluva laugh, almost as much as when I ran my L down there in 2004. :d

Actually, don't you have a 'vette?? Be a chance to run it cheap. :tu:
They would be laughing because you were being led around the track by a guy in a 4wd diesel:evil .

Tex Arcana
03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
They would be laughing because you were being led around the track by a guy in a 4wd diesel:evil .

... or at the DORIFOTRING style of driving you would have to employ... :tongue:

Actually, it would be fun to see that thing negotiating the track... :tu:

Mark #2
03-01-2006, 08:30 PM

I remember the pro guys at the On Track 2000 event I went to running F250 vans faster than a lot of people, even the Cobra R that went off track. I went through a set of tires and brakes that day, lots of track time, these trucks are not for RR IMHO.
All that being said, I might do it, it is way fun.
L8 has too many laps at this track for any of us to compete even if he is in his F250.

Tex Arcana
03-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I remember the pro guys at the On Track 2000 event I went to running F250 vans faster than a lot of people, even the Cobra R that went off track. I went through a set of tires and brakes that day, lots of track time, these trucks are not for RR IMHO.
All that being said, I might do it, it is way fun.

Hence why I'm upgrading the front brakes, I really love doing open-tracking.. :d
I do'nt think you'll find a better price than this, when I did it with SVTOA, it was $235, and we didn't get to run nearly as much.

L8 has too many laps at this track for any of us to compete even if he is in his F250.

Not if he has a boat anchor attached to his bumper... :rll: :tu: I'd buy that for a dollar!

Tex Arcana
03-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Bump for more.. anyone else want to do this?

L8 APEX
03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
I was thinking about taking the GT down there for fun. However, the weather looks prohibitive. I will probably just stay in the metroplex.

Tex Arcana
03-18-2006, 03:40 AM
I was thinking about taking the GT down there for fun. However, the weather looks prohibitive. I will probably just stay in the metroplex.

Damn sissy... c'mon, nut it up and RACE!! :d