PDA

View Full Version : Drove an '06 GTO today

98Cobra
03-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Been kicking around the idea of getting back into something with a manual trans lately. Drove an 06 GTO tonight, and GOD is it fast. It makes my L feel slooooooooow. And it handles and brakes awesome too. I was very impressed!

Build quality seems top notch too - must be the non UAW workers assembling them :)

QDRHRSE
03-05-2006, 01:28 PM
I saw one go 13.60's stone stock last weekend.

WA 2 FST
03-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Garett,

I drove an '04 model with the LS1 motor. It was a mid-13 second car. The LS2 cars are quicker... 12.9-13.1 with a good driver at a good track.

My impressions were the same as yours. Build quality has nothing "Pontiac" about it. Seats fit great and are very supportive. Good steering feel, quality braking ability. The backseats are big enough for average sized people. The trunk is tiny, tiny. But overall the interior is excellent...coming from someone like me who hasn't driven/owned a lot of high-$$ Euro cars. Point is that it's certainly good enough for me.

My only issue would be the exterior styling, which I don't have a lot of passion for. I do like the '05-06 models better than the '04.

Let us know if you get one! I think its a great car with a lot of upside.

skalywags
03-05-2006, 04:11 PM
for a little while during all that employee pricing and the gas going up, I entertained the thought of getting rid of teh Lightning and getting one of those. I actually looked and found one that i really liked. But I really like having the truck to haul the bike around. If I ever get rid of my condo and get a place I am going to get a bob tail tuck, then I might be able to go with a car and better gas mileage. use the bob tail to haul teh baike and camp in. By then the GTO will be gone, but teh GT500 will still be out, and maybe the Challenger.

02BOLT
03-05-2006, 04:36 PM
I tell ya what, when the '04's came out I was pretty disappointed with the car. I liked the interior a lot, but the car just looked too much like a Grand Am, and even though the LS1 is a formidable motor, when it's straddled with 3800 pounds, it struggles to run high 13's.....HOWEVER.....

It's amazing what an extra 50 HP, a couple hood scoops, and a pair of 4" polished exhaust tips sticking out of the rear facia can do for a car. The '05's have really grown on me. I really like Linda and Curtis's Silver w/ Black Leather AOD '05. That sucker just hunkers down and hauls ass! I really enjoyed driving that car. It handled well, stopped well, and had a nice tight feel to it.

I also test drove a 6 Speed '05(Black w/ Red Leather) a few months back. I really liked it, bit it needs an aftermarket shifter BAAAAD! The factory shifter reminded me of the one in my 2000 WS6 T/A. It was very vague, and rattled its ass off. I immediately slapped a B&M Ripper shifter on my T/A....problem solved. My only other issue with the GTO is the factory 17" wheels, they look OK, but just leave a little something to be desired. Once again, nothing that's not easily remedied.

I just saw a video the other day of an '05 GTO running high 12's at 111 mph with exhaust and bolt-ons. Those suckers will cook! Goodluck with your decision...

REXRENEGADE
03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
"must be the non UAW workers assembling them :)"

There made in Australia by Holden. They are called Monaro's down under.

Beaudee
03-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Try the auto,i have an 05 with the 6.0 ls2.The autos are 1/10 faster than the manuals,easier to drive in traffic.0-60 in 4.6 seconds.The manuals are fun to drive though.Speeking of Austr. check out this video.this car is boosting so much its pulsating,awsome burnout!! http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Burnouts/1/C34026ED-F6B4-4631-BE72-4B92C29802F6.htm Fixed the link

WA 2 FST
03-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I would probably get an auto, too. Take it over to 21CMC/LPE and get an Eaton M90 installed... instant low-12, high-11s w/ stock driveability. :)

98Cobra
03-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the comments so far! Its nice to have perpsective.

The 2006 brochure claims 0-60 times under 5 seconds, manual or auto.

Also, the manual works out to be much cheaper because there si no gas guzzler tax on it. Plus, and I know this may sound crazy, but after 5 years of Lightning, I kinda *miss* shifting a car, dangit. :)

Beaudee
03-06-2006, 09:07 AM
:tu:
Thanks for all the comments so far! Its nice to have perpsective.

The 2006 brochure claims 0-60 times under 5 seconds, manual or auto.

Also, the manual works out to be much cheaper because there si no gas guzzler tax on it. Plus, and I know this may sound crazy, but after 5 years of Lightning, I kinda *miss* shifting a car, dangit. :) If you get one get the performance pckg.(corsa exhaust) and the sport pckg. a must which is front ,rear bumpers,side skirts , and a different back spoiler.Manuals claim 0-60 in 4.7 seconds , but one of us isnt driven.

98Cobra
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
:tu: If you get one get the performance pckg.(corsa exhaust) and the sport pckg. a must which is front ,rear bumpers,side skirts , and a different back spoiler.Manuals claim 0-60 in 4.7 seconds , but one of us isnt driven.

Yea...overall I like the improvements to the looks, but dont think that is worth the $4k price tag. :eek:

Beaudee
03-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Yea...overall I like the improvements to the looks, but dont think that is worth the $4k price tag. :eek:
Yaaah they are proud of em,might be a yourselfer.Im am not hip on the body style much either,but the sport pckg. sweetened the deal.The interior made up for the overall :tu: .I was wondering what the 06 loaded ones are going for?By the time your done you might want the Shelby Cobra :tu: http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=753&page=pics This link came from you awhile back,fine choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Several pics are on my desktop.

02BOLT
03-06-2006, 08:53 PM

I don't know about you, but the rear of the sport package looks like ass IMHO. The big 4" polished tips on the "standard" package look a lot cleaner to me, as opposed to the dual quad set-up of the sport package.

I'd just slap a bitchin' set of wheels on there, a little more meat in the fenderwells, maybe lower it a tad and call it a day in the looks department. Just my .02....

What color are you looking at?

98Cobra
03-07-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't know about you, but the rear of the sport package looks like ass IMHO. The big 4" polished tips on the "standard" package look a lot cleaner to me, as opposed to the dual quad set-up of the sport package.

I'd just slap a bitchin' set of wheels on there, a little more meat in the fenderwells, maybe lower it a tad and call it a day in the looks department. Just my .02....

What color are you looking at?

I agree totally. The only thing I like about the appaearance package is the recessed front grill, instead of the flush-fit honeycomb look.

Looking at either the dark gray, or the blue - either with black interior. The colored interiors they offer are :vomit:

Beaudee
03-09-2006, 07:01 AM

What color are you looking at?The tips on the sport pckg. are just a clamp on piss a chit,but forward of that the Corsa system is nice.Black is nice and the red interior..

98Cobra
03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
So I was reading the Feature Guide for the 2007 Shelby Mustang today:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/docs/gt500.features.0306.pdf

And I started thinking "475 HP? In a Ford Mustang? Factory? For 39k? Maybe I just wait..."

I called Payton Wright to inquire. The sales manager told me flat out:

- they are getting 2, maybe 3 at best
- the sticker is rumored to be in the low 40s now
- they are only making 5000
- they are going to tack on 15 to 20k for market adjustment and see who bites

So I guess my 4th SVT will also be my last SVT. That is insane. :Bullshit

WA 2 FST
03-13-2006, 04:23 PM
For that kind of $$, you could get a GTO take it over to 21st Century Musclecars and have 470rwhp with just a 5-6psi Eaton M90 strapped to the top. Add headers and get another 20rwhp. Oh... and this would still maintain a 3yr/36k mile warranty with Lingenfelter.

There have been a few days lately where I've considered doing just this and selling the L.

Silver_2000
03-13-2006, 05:48 PM

And I started thinking "475 HP? In a Ford Mustang? Factory? For 39k? Maybe I just wait..."

Since they are selling them at EVERY Ford dealer that will be common

Mark #2
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I have co-worker that has a deposit on one.
They called him last week and told him...oh by the way we will be selling these at market value, which we expect to be $65K, your deposit will be fully refundable if you choose not to purchase.

He then came to me and started talking about what kind of blower upgrades are available for his current 2004 Cobra.
I told him the Whipple is the best of course.;)

dboat
03-13-2006, 07:21 PM

That is just flat out unadulterated :Bullshit :Bullshit :Bullshit

I will just keep the L that I have, do more mods and enjoy it for the next 10 years.. well, unless I get that Z06, but even then, I will still need a truck..:evil
Dana

98Cobra
03-13-2006, 07:22 PM
In that PDF, they need to revise page 34 - "Hallmarks of SVT". Which of these does not apply (hint, look for the bold section):

Performance - Increased power, refined road manners and balancing of engine, suspension, and braking systems

Substance - Character that is built in, not added on

Exclusivity - Low-volume, limited production products available only from specially trained dealers

Value - A lot of performance and driving pleasure for the money

At $39k, it would be a no brainer bargain. Where they are starting now - WTF. The General is looking better and better. Hell, anything else is looking better. I am mad at Ford for pricing this car out of reach of their biggest fans, and cancelling the SVT program to boot. :mad:

Silver_2000
03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Dont forget - Go back in time 5+ years or more and they were doing the same rape the customer profit dance with the Lightnings

I felt fortunate to get my 2000 for MSRP

Its NOT Ford its the greasy sales managers at the independently owned dealerships

Doug

WA 2 FST
03-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Dont forget - Go back in time 5+ years or more and they were doing the same rape the customer profit dance with the Lightnings

Its NOT Ford its the greasy sales managers at the independently owned dealerships

Doug

MSRP isn't always a bad deal, if you think it is worth it. I paid sticker for my '99 L. GM was doing the same thing for the C5 Z06 when it came out (actually for the first 3 model years... '01-03). I couldn't get _any_ DFW dealers to come down from $5k over sticker on an '02 Z06. So I flew to Baton Rouge and picked one up for $4k _under_ MSRP. The thing is, the C5 Z06 was never a "limited production" vehicle. SVT vehicles have always been that way, and this new Cobra will be too.

Low supply will keep demand high for as long as it is around (I predict 2-3 years max). That's the difference in this potential offering vs. past SVT products (which started sitting on lots for awhile, and then dealers came down significantly on their prices).

It is a good deal at sticker. $39k for what you get, performance-wise, is decent. But get over ~$43-44k, and you can get a C6 Vette for the same price. I'll take a 3100lb 400hp 2-seater over a 3800lb 475hp 2+2 any day.

Anyway, I won't be buying one, so its a moot point. I was looking forward to the car, but it will be priced too high for the performance offered, IMHO.

Mark #2
03-13-2006, 08:42 PM

Doug
Same here on MSRP for my 2000, 6 months on deposit, and they called me and wanted more $ when it was delivered.

They called the house and the SO told them I was out of town.

They called me at my hotel room and told me that if I didn't come up with the $ that they were going to sell it at the current market value.

After much "discussion", ~1/2 hour debate(and cursing at me), I said forget it (or something like that).

They called me back a couple of days later at the hotel and said I would be "allowed" to have it for MSRP.

dboat
03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Same here on MSRP for my 2000, 6 months on deposit, and they called me and wanted more $ when it was delivered.

They called the house and the SO told them I was out of town.

They called me at my hotel room and told me that if I didn't come up with the $ that they were going to sell it at the current market value.

After much "discussion", ~1/2 hour debate(and cursing at me), I said forget it (or something like that).

They called me back a couple of days later at the hotel and said I would be "allowed" to have it for MSRP.

I must of been one of the last ones to pay MSRP.. I was at the dealership for 4 hours negotiating on mine, except it had more to do with the value of the trade in.. when I got up and walked and said I would just go elsewhere, they caved and gave me what I wanted on the trade in of my Grand Prix GTP. (man, I loved that car too)..
I left that day with the L in my posession. The next weekend I had a bedrug and Snuglid installed on it.. that began my mods..
Dana

TP Derrick D
03-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Go with the Shelby, its limited production and will probably be worth twice that one day. Anybody who is nobody and their granny got a Vette or could get one ,there are 1000's of them the same color running up and down I-20 and 360 all day long. You'll just blend in. A Shelby will be noticed big time!!
Just as a 1967-68 shelby gets notice now days almost 40 years later.

Silver_2000
03-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Go with the Shelby, its limited production and will probably be worth twice that one day. Anybody who is nobody and their granny got a Vette or could get one ,there are 1000's of them the same color running up and down I-20 and 360 all day long. You'll just blend in. A Shelby will be noticed big time!!
Just as a 1967-68 shelby gets notice now days almost 40 years later.

Same conversations we were having about the Lightnings in 99 and 2000

98Cobra
03-15-2006, 12:13 AM
It depends. If they truly only make the car for a year or two, it could be worth some serious cash - someday. I wish I could afford to buy the car, even at its horribly overinflated price, and store it away for 25 years, but I need something I can drive every day, without having to buy a shitwagon.

Also, my luck, I would buy it, store it, and then 25 years from now gas will be impossible to get in quantity for any sort of reasonable price, judging by what goes for "reasonable" these days.... :(

02BOLT
03-15-2006, 12:25 AM
FYI....There is a sharp Torrid Red Automatic '05 with the optional 18" wheels/ Bridgestone tires with about 450 miles on the odometer, up at David Mcdavid Pontiac on 183 in Irving. It had the Black leather interior, with the Red guage faces. The sales manager there is a guy I built a house for a few years back. His name is Oliver Lacy; very nice guy. It is the last '05 they have and they are willing to DEAL. A fella could probably drive out with that bad boy for pretty damn near invoice....that's IF it's still there.(I was by there last Thursday)

I'll tell you what else, the automatics in those cars run fantastic. I've driven a couple of 6 Speed Goats, and the autos definitely feel quicker. Just my .02, but the Red on that car looked sharp as hell. It didn't even look to me like it needed to be lowered.

Once again, just FYI...

98Cobra
03-15-2006, 01:52 AM
FYI....There is a sharp Torrid Red Automatic '05 with the optional 18" wheels/ Bridgestone tires with about 450 miles on the odometer, up at David Mcdavid Pontiac on 183 in Irving. It had the Black leather interior, with the Red guage faces. The sales manager there is a guy I built a house for a few years back. His name is Oliver Lacy; very nice guy. It is the last '05 they have and they are willing to DEAL. A fella could probably drive out with that bad boy for pretty damn near invoice....that's IF it's still there.(I was by there last Thursday)

I'll tell you what else, the automatics in those cars run fantastic. I've driven a couple of 6 Speed Goats, and the autos definitely feel quicker. Just my .02, but the Red on that car looked sharp as hell. It didn't even look to me like it needed to be lowered.

Once again, just FYI...

Thanks for the heads up. Vista Ridge Pontiac/GMC also has a 2005 silver auto with 18s and the appearance package. You could steal that car too, what with the 2500 rebate on those on top of anything the dealer wants to do.

Scary enough, I want to go back to driving a manual. I have had an auto for the last 6 years, and I miss running a car through the gears. If I had serious aspriations of tracking it, I'd do what Wes said and get an auto.

TP Derrick D
03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
It depends. If they truly only make the car for a year or two, it could be worth some serious cash - someday. I wish I could afford to buy the car, even at its horribly overinflated price, and store it away for 25 years, but I need something I can drive every day, without having to buy a shitwagon.

Also, my luck, I would buy it, store it, and then 25 years from now gas will be impossible to get in quantity for any sort of reasonable price, judging by what goes for "reasonable" these days.... :(

I hear you Garrett,
I have also just been partial to limited production or special color cars. That's why Saleen & Roush Mustangs is @ the top of my list. I bought my Stang because of the 5.0 engine and the Teal color which is not as plentiful as other colors. same with my silver L. Go for it( the goat) if it appeals to "you"
I drove one before they came out and the drive train was cool ,just the Sunbird look turns me off. If I wasn't into cars so much I wouldn't even notice it on the road so i know it gets no looks from lesser car enthusists.

98Cobra
04-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Well...I did it folks. I no longer have a L. :(

But, here is my new toy:

http://www.trietsch.com/images/06GTO/06GTOsm4.jpg

http://www.trietsch.com/images/06GTO/06GTOsm5.jpg

http://www.trietsch.com/images/06GTO/06GTOsm2.jpg

http://www.trietsch.com/images/06GTO/06GTOsm3.jpg

http://www.trietsch.com/images/06GTO/06GTOsm.jpg

It is a blast to drive, and definately feels a cut above what I expect from GM in build quality.

In a few months, I might be in the market for a Gen 1 as a second vehicle. We'll see! You havent gotten rid of me yet! :D

Mark #2
04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
The new Crawford:D
How are you going to tow the boat with that?

Silver_2000
04-02-2006, 07:51 PM
The new Crawford:D

+1

dboat
04-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Those are nice looking..

Moonshine
04-02-2006, 09:24 PM

He's going to invite me to the lake since I have the perfect tow vehicle, and he's going to bribe me by letting me take the Goat for a spin. :beer:

Mark #2
04-02-2006, 09:48 PM
He's going to invite me to the lake since I have the perfect tow vehicle, and he's going to bribe me by letting me take the Goat for a spin. :beer:
I'm closer and the K5 has more miles of boat towing experience, but the SO probably won't let me tow it to the usual place.:D
And did I mention, that I like the car and the color.

98Cobra
04-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, the boat is going up for sale in the immediate future. :) I am getting a seat repaired and then it is go time. So be watching for that ad.

So many of my friends have boats now, I figured I could hang up the ol' Captain's hat for a season or two.

Doug, I will be seeing a lot more of you this summer. :d

WA 2 FST
04-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Looks really nice, Garett!

02BOLT
04-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Impulse Blue, with the optonal 18" wheels. Looks nice Garett. Enjoy!:tu:

Silver_2000
04-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, the boat is going up for sale in the immediate future. :) I am getting a seat repaired and then it is go time. So be watching for that ad.

So many of my friends have boats now, I figured I could hang up the ol' Captain's hat for a season or two.

:nono::eek:

Beaudee
04-02-2006, 11:36 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/7/572A44AA-C8C1-43FB-94E4-A4B098596683.htm knana By the way when you have to reset the engine oil change light,you pump the gas pedal 3 times instead of 2 like the manual says. Fixed

Silver_2000
04-03-2006, 12:50 AM
http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...B098596683.htm knana By the way when you have to reset the engine oil change light,you pump the gas pedal 3 times instead of 2 like the manual says.
You cant copy a link from a forum like that - it leaves the ... in the middle and breaks the link

Beaudee
04-03-2006, 12:55 AM
You cant copy a link from a firum like that - it leaves the ... in the middle and breaks the link http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/7/572A44AA-C8C1-43FB-94E4-A4B098596683.htm fixed

Beaudee
04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
The GTO also does pretty good on gas for 400HP.Mine gets about 17-18 on the average according to the computer.You can learn a bunch about your car here. http://www.gtoforum.com/ I was wondering where you bought it.Vista Ridge Pontiac GMC on 35E and G.B. has excellent service and the best prices around.First service place i have been to without getting pissed off about sub standard work.

my2002lightning
04-03-2006, 01:57 AM
We have an almost identical Blue one in the parking garage at work. NICE looking car.

Lyfisin
04-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Nice Garett. Great color!! :tu:

L-Fever
04-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Nice ride! :tu:. I think my next one will be blue!

TP Derrick D
04-03-2006, 01:57 PM
No more L, sad day in Garrettville :) I hear ya Garrett. With as many of us having vehicles other than L's ,I still think we should have a meet where we bring them and introduce them to the L family like we briefly talked about a couple years ago. Nice color Garrett.:tu:

Silver_2000
04-03-2006, 08:41 PM

Missed you at the Marina today washing down the boat and changing the impeller ...

wesman
04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Missed you at the Marina today washing down the boat and changing the impeller ...

Doug,

That's the crappy part about owning a boat. I'm sure he meant he'll be seeing you a lot more on weekends, right around the times the boat gets put into the water;)

--wes

98Cobra
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM

Sorry, I was working. I dont get hours like those guys at i2. :D

Silver_2000
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Sorry, I was working. I dont get hours like those guys at i2. :D

This was at 6pm - But I know you work those 24 hour shifts ..... :rolleyes:

Silver_2000
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Doug,

That's the crappy part about owning a boat. I'm sure he meant he'll be seeing you a lot more on weekends, right around the times the boat gets put into the water;)

--wes
:cool:

Beaudee
04-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Garret,better have em check your alignment.I got 2 front tires ruined from a bad factory alignment.Both tires are are toed out on the front.Dealer is charging me 90 bucks for an alignment today,cause its not covered under warranty.:Bullshit I saw a women driven the same year,color about a week ago on 2499.Related to you?

98Cobra
04-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Garret,better have em check your alignment.I got 2 front tires ruined from a bad factory alignment.Both tires are are toed out on the front.Dealer is charging me 90 bucks for an alignment today,cause its not covered under warranty.:Bullshit I saw a women driven the same year,color about a week ago on 2499.Related to you?

Usually the alignment is covered for 12 months or 12000 miles. I take it you are over that...

Nope, not related to me. But I have spotted a couple GTOs around town.

Its in the shop today getting the 3M paint protection put on...

Beaudee
04-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Usually the alignment is covered for 12 months or 12000 miles. I take it you are over that...

Nope, not related to me. But I have spotted a couple GTOs around town.

Its in the shop today getting the 3M paint protection put on...
Yaah its only covered to 6500 miles.Mine has 16000.They are trying to tell me the GTO wears front tires that way.I haven't heard back yet.I only rotated them 2 times since i had it.Never noticed the unusual wear because its on the inside of the tires.

wesman
04-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Keep pushing them, then escalate when you get nowhere with the GM. The NIssan dealers tryed this with the 350Z when it first came out, it had bad camber issues in the front and was cupping the inside tires.

After enough complaints and people escalating past the dealerships Nissan came out with a TSB that paid for an alignment and new front tires to be replaced under warranty. If you bought new fronts for replacement, they would reimburse you your costs if you replaced them with like tires.

--wes