PDA

View Full Version : spark plug trouble on my L

svt-mex
03-10-2006, 11:16 AM
I had a spark plug blow on my truck has anyone ever had that problem?
I have a lower 6lb pully and the upper 2lb pulley with superchip programed for it.

Alpine
03-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I had a spark plug blow on my truck has anyone ever had that problem?
I have a lower 6lb pully and the upper 2lb pulley with superchip programed for it.It happens all the time.:hammer: Call Terry at PR, he will get you fixed up.

svt-mex
03-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Terry is kind of far where i live but he did install my pullys, Im already getting it fixed i just wanted to know why it happens? :confused:

I steped on it wide open, i thought my engine had blow or something because it was loud... :eek:

:twitch: Thanks.....

2002GreyHd150
03-10-2006, 05:16 PM
why it happens? too few threads on the spark plug holes in the heads... pre-mid '03 heads have fewer threads...

rumours of just regular run of the mill fleet 5.4 trucks with high miles tossing plugs without a S/C.... 6# of boost... easier to pop a plug.

Rob W

Mark #2
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Terry is kind of far where i live but he did install my pullys, Im already getting it fixed i just wanted to know why it happens? :confused:

I steped on it wide open, i thought my engine had blow or something because it was loud... :eek:

:twitch: Thanks.....

There is marginality due to the lack of threads, but IMHO detonation rattles them loose and then they blow out.

2002GreyHd150
03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Mark #2 I couldn't agree more... state of tune & plugs has the most to do with it... but being new to the group here I didnt want to rock the boat too much...

Rob W

00Bolt
03-10-2006, 05:54 PM
what about when it happens to completely stock lightnings? mine blew a plug before I bought it, and ford replaced with 03 heads... but when it blew, it was 100% stock except for ram air kit and exhaust

Mark #2
03-10-2006, 06:31 PM
what about when it happens to completely stock lightnings? mine blew a plug before I bought it, and ford replaced with 03 heads... but when it blew, it was 100% stock except for ram air kit and exhaust

Again, there is marginality with the 4 threads.
Installing plugs when the heads are warm or hot, and detonation is very possible on a stock motor with increased air flow(ram air) and/or if one uses crappy gas or has clogged fuel filter. Again this is all IMHO.

PoorSvtman
03-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Also not properly tighting them down as well.. I have the 4 thread head and well 115k miles with a 6lb lower and a upper pulley on and off a few times I have never had a problem. I thinking about getting them helicoiled while they are off the motor.

dboat
03-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Again, there is marginality with the 4 threads.
Installing plugs when the heads are warm or hot, and detonation is very possible on a stock motor with increased air flow(ram air) and/or if one uses crappy gas or has clogged fuel filter. Again this is all IMHO.

Mark, so you think that if the plugs are installed when the heads are warm or hot, that the plugs dont seat as well and are more likely to blow? I hadnt heard that theory before.. hmmmm

Dana

Mark #2
03-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Mark, so you think that if the plugs are installed when the heads are warm or hot, that the plugs dont seat as well and are more likely to blow? I hadnt heard that theory before.. hmmmm

Dana

Old Porsche data, Al heads must be stone cold before installing plugs, if not the Al head shrinks and the plugs are automatically loose.

PoorSvtman
03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Old Porsche data, Al heads must be stone cold before installing plugs, if not the Al head shrinks and the plugs are automatically loose.

I would think that if you if you install the plug in a warm head, and then cools off and shrinks it would actualy get tighter...

99WhiteBeast
03-10-2006, 07:46 PM
I thinking about getting them helicoiled while they are off the motor.

I would- the cost is minimal... piece of mind priceless;)

Mark #2
03-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I would think that if you if you install the plug in a warm head, and then cools off and shrinks it would actualy get tighter...
You have to think x,y, and Z if that helps.:D

PoorSvtman
03-10-2006, 07:53 PM
True... :D

I just dont think about that stuff anymore

dboat
03-10-2006, 11:01 PM
You have to think x,y, and Z if that helps.:D

Heck, I have a tough time with a,b,c... :D

but I understand the concept that the aluminum would pull away..

Dana