PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

dboat
03-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Ok, I plan on attending LFest this year, plus I am planning on making a few passes at a local track. Dont know for sure if its a 1/8 or 1/4 mile track yet. But I would like to get some passes under my belt before I go..

anyways, do you have to wear a helmet? will my old motorcycle helmet do? its full coverage..

the reason I am asking is that Big D at NLOC has got a deal going on racing helmets over there.. and he posted that there are new rules at the tracks this year..

So I need the 411 or just schooled on the helmet thing..

Thanks
Dana

dboat
03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
ttt

I guess no one has any helmet info.. or is there a link to the rules..

Dana

SILVER2000SVT
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes you need a helmet if you want to race at Lfest. I saw that deal on NLOC too. Unless I missed something it didn't look like any better of a deal than what you could go by at any regular retail store. I'll admit I haven't really shopped that much though.

03LightningRocks
03-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes you need a helmet if you want to race at Lfest. I saw that deal on NLOC too. Unless I missed something it didn't look like any better of a deal than what you could go by at any regular retail store. I'll admit I haven't really shopped that much though.

+1

also your mortorcycle helmet may not be the required rating

dboat
03-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys, do you have to wear a helmet at all tracks any time you are racing or even test and tune?

Any suggestions?

Dana

02 lightning
03-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys, do you have to wear a helmet at all tracks any time you are racing or even test and tune?

Any suggestions?

Dana

in the 1/8 u need one if u are running a 8.0 below in the 1/4 i think it is a 12.5 below i cant recall 100% and yes a motorcylce one will do

03LightningRocks
03-13-2006, 12:39 AM
The helmet rule actually kicks in at 13.99 in the quarter...and some tracks won't let anyone race without a helmet, no matter how slow you are.

Here is a link to the NHRA quick reference chart Dana.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html

dboat
03-13-2006, 12:39 AM
in the 1/8 u need one if u are running a 8.0 below in the 1/4 i think it is a 12.5 below i cant recall 100% and yes a motorcylce one will do

Thanks, I appreciate it. :tu:

03LightningRocks
03-13-2006, 12:43 AM
The helmet rule actually kicks in at 13.99 in the quarter...and some tracks won't let anyone race without a helmet, no matter how slow you are.

He was wrong Dana....look again...:rolleyes:

03LightningRocks
03-13-2006, 01:04 AM

On your motorcycle helmet question....the answer depends on the rating of your helmet. All 90's are expired...and alot of the tracks are checking them. 95's are good for one more year. SFI 31.2's are also expied. SFI 31.1 and SFI 41.1's and SFI 41.2's are all three expiring Jan 2007

dboat
03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
On your motorcycle helmet question....the answer depends on the rating of your helmet. All 90's are expired...and alot of the tracks are checking them. 95's are good for one more year. SFI 31.2's are also expied. SFI 31.1 and SFI 41.1's and SFI 41.2's are all three expiring Jan 2007

Thanks Rocks, I was thinking that I should invest in one anyway.. any suggestions on what to get? what do you like about yours or what dont you like?

Dana

02 lightning
03-13-2006, 01:19 AM
He was wrong Dana....look again...:rolleyes:

well like i said i think i was not sure on the 1/4 times. i have always had to use one cause of the times my car ran so i was not sure

03LightningRocks
03-13-2006, 01:24 AM
well like i said i think i was not sure on the 1/4 times. i have always had to use one cause of the times my car ran so i was not sure

It's no biggie. I just didn't want Dana to show up and not get to race. Last year at L-Fest...they where making everyone wear a helmet no matter what times you ran. It was a real pain for the folks driving their diesels and stuff. Some of them didn't have helmets and had to borrow from those of us that did.

Oh, I just saw a web page for the track in Denton and they require helmets when running 8.59 or quicker in the eighth.

03LightningRocks
03-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks Rocks, I was thinking that I should invest in one anyway.. any suggestions on what to get? what do you like about yours or what dont you like?

Dana

I have a very large noggin. I had a heck of a time finding a helmet that was comfortable. I am afraid to buy one over the internet without trying it on. You want it to be snug, but you have to watch out for helmets that pinch your temples together....LOL. They all loosin up a little(not alot, a little) after they get broken in some. I like a full face helmet and I took the plastic face shield off mine so I could breath. My helmet was not a real high dollar helmet. It was around 180 bucks at a Yamaha shop. I am not even sure of what brand it is...LOL. I am going to buy a new one in the next few months.

Tex Arcana
03-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Check this (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=20119)out as well, tho the group buy on NLOC is pretty good. The G-Force M2000's are $80, and the SA2000 (both good thru 2010) are about $110 (I just got the M2000 for $80, it's a nice helmet and fits pretty well, very comfortable). They're open-face, so you might not want that, and will end up paying a bit more, but it seems Jeg's has decent prices. Worth looking into.

03LightningRocks
03-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Check this (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=20119)out as well, tho the group buy on NLOC is pretty good. The G-Force M2000's are $80, and the SA2000 (both good thru 2010) are about $110 (I just got the M2000 for $80, it's a nice helmet and fits pretty well, very comfortable). They're open-face, so you might not want that, and will end up paying a bit more, but it seems Jeg's has decent prices. Worth looking into.

One thing that is nice about open faced helmets is that they are not as hot to wear. They are also easier when your wanting to say something to someone. I didn't actually set out to have a closed face helmet...it just happened that the helmet I could afford and actually fit on my head happened to be closed faced.

That price at the Jegs sight does not look like a bad price at all.

dboat
03-13-2006, 07:10 PM

Whats the difference in the M2000 and SA2000? is it just a "style" thing or is there some real difference..

I dont mind an open face one, until I have an accident and will wish I had one.. :evil

Tex Arcana
03-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Whats the difference in the M2000 and SA2000? is it just a "style" thing or is there some real difference..

I dont mind an open face one, until I have an accident and will wish I had one.. :evil

M-rated helmets are motorcycle helmets with nylon liners; SA-rated have Nnomex or some other fireproof liner (hence the increased cost)

dboat
03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
M-rated helmets are motorcycle helmets with nylon liners; SA-rated have Nnomex or some other fireproof liner (hence the increased cost)

03LightningRocks
03-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Funny...the open VS closed debate is going on over at NLOC. Pretty good cases fro both. I will be going with a closed face SA helmet. If I do get unlucky and hit the wall, I want max protection for my pretty smile. I also want protection in case of fire. If it even gives me a 60 seconds more time...I will take it.

On a more relaxed note. Anyone tried the Jack Daniels single barrel brew. Holly crap this sh!t is smooth. It is expensive as hell, but who cares...the stuff is better than sex...LOL. 40 bucks for 750ml.

dboat
03-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Funny...the open VS closed debate is going on over at NLOC. Pretty good cases fro both. I will be going with a closed face SA helmet. If I do get unlucky and hit the wall, I want max protection for my pretty smile. I also want protection in case of fire. If it even gives me a 60 seconds more time...I will take it.

On a more relaxed note. Anyone tried the Jack Daniels single barrel brew. Holly crap this sh!t is smooth. It is expensive as hell, but who cares...the stuff is better than sex...LOL. 40 bucks for 750ml.:eek2: :eek2: