PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust, Beating a dead horse

SpeedyBolt
03-16-2006, 07:07 PM
O.k., I know that his has already been asked but my severe lack of patience prevents me from looking through all the threads.

I was thinking today at work about the loss of boost as a result of adding Long tube headers to a L. Is the loss of boost a result of the scavanging of boost from the combustion chamber or just from the increase in efficiancy of the motor? This also made me start to wonder if using a x-pipe on a supercharged application will actually cause the same results. I know that it wouldn't cause as much of a loss but there may still be some. Now we start getting into the issue of "but your actually gaining power". It's not the power I'm thinking about, just really curious why there is a loss of boost from headers.

Pure Randomness, I know. I was really bored at work today.

03'svtlight
03-16-2006, 09:28 PM
My understanding of it is (and its quite possible I'm wrong), an engine is nothing more than an air pump. The matter of which you so-called lost boost from long-tubes is determined by your engine being able to move air in a more efficient manner, thus the loss of manifold pressure (which is boost). But what you gave up in boost didn't cost any hp.:cool: