PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner

QDRHRSE
03-17-2006, 03:17 PM
It was kind of wild. I bought a vacuum cleaner from a door to door salesman. Has anybody ever heard of a Kirby? It really worked better than a Dyson and a WindTunnel. It out performed both of my Vacuums. How weird is that? If anybody owns a Kirby, what did you pay for it? I bought mine a lot cheaper than other people that I have talked to. I actually never thought a Vacuum could cost that much. Anybody?

98Cobra
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Wow, I didnt know they still sold those door to door.

Does it run by itself like my Roomba? :)

98Cobra
03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Supplemental link...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/in_home/kirby.htm

tiffo60
03-17-2006, 03:35 PM
i have one, should have said something i would have sold mine for $1000 and its almost brand new

QDRHRSE
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
That's awesome! I grinded the guy down to $800! He said that he made absolutely no money on it. So people really pay that much for them? I know somebody who paid $1500 for an older model.

Shiner1
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I paid a grand for mine, with all the extras, bells and whistles. We just happened to be in the market for a new VC when the girl knocked on the door. The only reason I bought it was, my mom has one that is 30+ years old and it runs like brand new. In fact I called her while the sales-person was still there and mom is trying to talk me into it as well. Just change the belt and bag and they run forever. The only draw back I see is that pig weighs 500 pounds.

QDRHRSE
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Supplemental link...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/in_home/kirby.htm

Very interesting. I paid cash and I'm very happy with it. It is very true that they are a little misleading. they did in fact start off by telling me that they were going to demo a "new dry foam carpet cleaning technique" on any room in my house. Once they got started it became a Kirby pitch. I am generally very distrusting but they proved that the thing worked much better than my old vacuums. They wanted $1500 which included a bunch of rebates and I lauged in their face. Then I told them to come back and Demo it for my wife. My wife is a clean freak and I thought that she'd really like it. She did. I told them them I only had $700 in the house. They hemmed and hawed and we came to $800. It just so happened that I had an extra $100 or so under the matress! Anyway, after I vacuumed a room several times with my vac's, I went over it with the Kirby and really did pull up a disturbing amount of dirt. It made me feel dirty- no kidding. Considering the price I paid compared to other people I know, I am very pleased. The whole point of me posting this that A) I never thought that I'd pay that much for a vacuum or even be willing too, and B) I bought it from a pair of door to door sales people.

Also, people in that link were saying that Kirby was lying about the cost of financing but my sales people were very upfront about it....I told them I pay cash or I don't buy.

tiffo60
03-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Very interesting. I paid cash and I'm very happy with it. It is very true that they are a little misleading. they did in fact start off by telling me that they were going to demo a "new dry foam carpet cleaning technique" on any room in my house. Once they got started it became a Kirby pitch. I am generally very distrusting but they proved that the thing worked much better than my old vacuums. They wanted $1500 which included a bunch of rebates and I lauged in their face. Then I told them to come back and Demo it for my wife. My wife is a clean freak and I thought that she'd really like it. She did. I told them them I only had $700 in the house. They hemmed and hawed and we came to $800. It just so happened that I had an extra $100 or so under the matress! Anyway, after I vacuumed a room several times with my vac's, I went over it with the Kirby and really did pull up a disturbing amount of dirt. It made me feel dirty- no kidding. Considering the price I paid compared to other people I know, I am very pleased. The whole point of me posting this that A) I never thought that I'd pay that much for a vacuum or even be willing too, and B) I bought it from a pair of door to door sales people.

Also, people in that link were saying that Kirby was lying about the cost of financing but my sales people were very upfront about it....I told them I pay cash or I don't buy.

do your pillows and your matress, yikes!! thats what sold me

QDRHRSE
03-17-2006, 03:56 PM
I paid a grand for mine, with all the extras, bells and whistles. We just happened to be in the market for a new VC when the girl knocked on the door. The only reason I bought it was, my mom has one that is 30+ years old and it runs like brand new. In fact I called her while the sales-person was still there and mom is trying to talk me into it as well. Just change the belt and bag and they run forever. The only draw back I see is that pig weighs 500 pounds.

Our new model is made of aluminum and its not a that much heavier than the others...it is heavier though.

I'm shocked that this many people have them. The sales people said that after 90+ years, they only sell them door to door.

QDRHRSE
03-17-2006, 03:58 PM
do your pillows and your matress, yikes!! thats what sold me

tell me about it! We have livingroom furniture that has never been used, 2 years old, and it was disgusting what came out of it.....oh my god, this whole post is totally "broke back"....

tiffo60
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
tell me about it! We have livingroom furniture that has never been used, 2 years old, and it was disgusting what came out of it.....oh my god, this whole post is totally "broke back"....

LOL yeah the first night i had mine i stayed up till 2 in the morning vacuuming everything, i should have been wearing a skirt:hammer:

Shiner1
03-17-2006, 04:04 PM

Naw...Just a bunch of guys talking about a power tool.

Logan
03-17-2006, 07:47 PM
You're all gay little sissy skirt wearin' girly girls...

I demand you get back to discussin' blowin **** up, burnin rubber and guns immediately...

Preferably before y'all sign up for the Kirby convention... ;)

QDRHRSE
03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Sorry brother. On that note- my friend is visiting from North Dakota and we are installing a Vortech S trim on my Cobra. Is that better? We started last night and the vacuum cleaner people interupted us. Then we found out the blower kit was missing stuff so [today] I sent my buddy over to Vortech which is 100 miles away and he got the missing parts, picked me back up from work, and now the blower install continues!

00Bolt
03-17-2006, 08:32 PM
we almost got sold on a kirby one time also, so instead of spending $1000 on a vacum, we went out and got hardwood floor... lol

03LightningRocks
03-17-2006, 10:32 PM
we almost got sold on a kirby one time also, so instead of spending $1000 on a vacum, we went out and got hardwood floor... lol

LOL...sounds familiar. I decided carpet was nothing more than a dirt trap. Hardwood and tile here too.

My mother has a Kirby she bought in the early sixties, from a door to door salesman. That damn thing just keeps on keeping on. She swears by it. I will not likely spend 800-1000 bucks on a vacuum cleaner. But to be honest, I think I paid close to 200 bucks for my Hoover and it isn't near the sucking device that Kirby is. I guess if you figure out how many vacuums you buy over a lifetime, it comes out to alot more than a 1000 bucks. Maybe I will try selling the darned things...:D .

03LightningRocks
03-17-2006, 10:36 PM
You're all gay little sissy skirt wearin' girly girls...

I demand you get back to discussin' blowin **** up, burnin rubber and guns immediately...

Preferably before y'all sign up for the Kirby convention... ;)

If you think it's bad now, just imagine how bad it is going to get after :ron: get's done lotion surfing tonight and spots this post:rll: .

QDRHRSE
03-17-2006, 10:51 PM
If you think it's bad now, just imagine how bad it is going to get after :ron: get's done lotion surfing tonight and spots this post:rll: .

Where is the Tea Bag Slapper?

my2002lightning
03-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Uncle Rocks,

With the personal rancor reflected in that remark, I don't intend to dignify with comment.:tongue:

Dammit, Elaine's got me booked up this weekend and next with family baby visits and ****** changes.:hammer: Hells-fire, tomorrow, we're babysitting my cousin's curtain-climber so I can see what Fatherhood is like.:rolleyes:

I need to get back to my parent's place to have Dad shoot a couple mpgs of me sending some tracers through the Mini-14 downrange and general mayhem with the MAK-90.knana

Gotta' love firearms. Deer season is fast approaching again, too.:cool:

Ronald

03LightningRocks
03-19-2006, 03:35 AM
Uncle Rocks,

With the personal rancor reflected in that remark, I don't intend to dignify with comment.:tongue:

Dammit, Elaine's got me booked up this weekend and next with family baby visits and ****** changes.:hammer: Hells-fire, tomorrow, we're babysitting my cousin's curtain-climber so I can see what Fatherhood is like.:rolleyes:

I need to get back to my parent's place to have Dad shoot a couple mpgs of me sending some tracers through the Mini-14 downrange and general mayhem with the MAK-90.knana

Gotta' love firearms. Deer season is fast approaching again, too.:cool:

Ronald

Darn...I feel a little bit slighted. I was hoping to inspire at least a two paragraph response. I must be loosing my edge in my old age. I hope it doesn't get worse when I turn 36...:)