PDA

View Full Version : Gawd Dammit!!!

tliss
03-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Anyone know how to punch out a couple decent-sized dents from the front fender?? I feel like such a numbnuts...I was backing a trailer into the driveway and I misjudged where my Jeep was and ran the front fender in front of the wheel up on it. The damage isn't too bad, but it's enough to piss me off. There are two dents about 2 inches in diameter each. Anybody know of a cheap way to get this fixed?

Tom

SpeedyBolt
03-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Try some Dry Ice and a plunger. It really depends on how deep the dents are though.

tiffo60
03-17-2006, 11:44 PM
yeah i have heard good things about dry ice too, mostly with hail dents but who knows you may get lucky

my2002lightning
03-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Tom,

I would give Andrew Rodriguez (cell: 469-878-1010) a call and take it from there, for now.

Last I heard he was at Eldorado near your 75 exit.

Ronald

03LightningRocks
03-18-2006, 01:07 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: ......;) . When I first saw the title of this thread, my stomach turned just a little. I was afraid to click on it. At least it didn't clip the Lightning.

Watch out that you don't jack knife it when backing up. The crank that sticks up from the tongue makes one hell of a dent in the tailgate of your truck if you make contact. You can probably guess how I figured that out.

Keep an eye on the tires, I really don't trust them much. Take her slow just in case one of them gives out on you.

Careful out there Tom, that trailer is accustomed to towing a Lightning. She may get confused being towed by a lightning.:cool:

tliss
03-18-2006, 10:44 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: ......;) . When I first saw the title of this thread, my stomach turned just a little. I was afraid to click on it. At least it didn't clip the Lightning.

Watch out that you don't jack knife it when backing up. The crank that sticks up from the tongue makes one hell of a dent in the tailgate of your truck if you make contact. You can probably guess how I figured that out.

Keep an eye on the tires, I really don't trust them much. Take her slow just in case one of them gives out on you.

Careful out there Tom, that trailer is accustomed to towing a Lightning. She may get confused being towed by a lightning.:cool:

Ron,

Thanks for the advice. While I was hitching up your trailer my wife visited the U-Haul place across the street and decided to go for one of the enclosed ones. Just as I was ready to go, she said she rented one!!:eek2: Time to unhitch...so I didn't even move your trailer! Thanks again for letting me use it, though.

Dry ice and a plunger, eh? Explain the physics of this to me...what is the dry ice for? What does it do/prevent? The dents are not very deep, but they are bigger than hail dents.

Tom

tliss
03-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Tom,

I would give Andrew Rodriguez (cell: 469-878-1010) a call and take it from there, for now.

Last I heard he was at Eldorado near your 75 exit.

Ronald

Hmm...I was going to try Michael Ashley as a last resort. I may give this guy a buzz as well.

Tom

SpeedyBolt
03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Ron,

Dry ice and a plunger, eh? Explain the physics of this to me...what is the dry ice for? What does it do/prevent? The dents are not very deep, but they are bigger than hail dents.

Tom
I think the dry ice is supposed to heat the metal and expand it or something like that. It's also supposed to keep the paint from cracking when the dent is pulled out. Use the plunger to apply suction to try and pull the dent back out.

PoorSvtman
03-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Try some Dry Ice and a plunger. It really depends on how deep the dents are though.

Dry ice will and can mess up the clear coat(crack it,etc been there done that) and make it worse... just call one of those paintless dent repair places...

tliss
03-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I just got back from one of the body shops nearby. I got a quote for a full repair and they told me it may be difficult to pull the dents out trhough paintless dent repair considering there is a crease in the metal in each dent. They gave me the number of a guy that might be able to do it in a paintless manner. Bottom line, it'll probably cost me $500 to get done. :eek2: He mentioned it would be about half if the paintless dent guy can do it, but the guy at the body shop said he could not do it. I'm going to keep looking around...if I am going to get a full repair I'm going to go to the best body and paint shop around...so I'm looking for recommendations. Probably won't do it for a while considering I am looking to kill some debt and got a lot of things to buy for the baby, but I want to have things lined up.

I just can't believe these two relatively small dents will cost that goddamn much to fix! A fender is probably cheaper....:bs

Tom

PoorSvtman
03-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Well my body shop that did my truck did a bad arse job. They just fixed my moms truck. A huge rusty barrel was rolling across the highway and hit the passanger door and ext cab part of her truck. No dent just took the paint to bare metal along the lower parts of the doors... They repainted the entire doors and you cant even tell they were painted. They match perfectly

Lyfisin
03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the dents no matter what car/truck it was. When it's yours, it pretty much sooks. :(

03LightningRocks
03-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the dents no matter what car/truck it was. When it's yours, it pretty much sooks. :(

Not always Brook......;) .

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/scotts_ductcar.jpg

03LightningRocks
03-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Ron,

Thanks for the advice. While I was hitching up your trailer my wife visited the U-Haul place across the street and decided to go for one of the enclosed ones. Just as I was ready to go, she said she rented one!!:eek2: Time to unhitch...so I didn't even move your trailer! Thanks again for letting me use it, though.

Tom

It turns out your wife is wise beyond her years. Open trailers and rain don't make for a good combination when moving furniture.

tliss
03-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Well my body shop that did my truck did a bad arse job. They just fixed my moms truck. A huge rusty barrel was rolling across the highway and hit the passanger door and ext cab part of her truck. No dent just took the paint to bare metal along the lower parts of the doors... They repainted the entire doors and you cant even tell they were painted. They match perfectly

Mike,

What body shop and how much was it? I'm staring down $500 in repairs right now (just checked one body shop, though, so there are better deal out there I'm sure). Just looking for all options, and if I can get a great job done for a little less I'm going to check it out.

Thanks!

T

PoorSvtman
03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Lynn smith chevrolet... www.lynnsmithchev.com

I worked at the dealership for 5 years... Its out in burleson but they have earned my seal of approval after my wreck in my truck... I think my mom paid 5?? out the door for the 2 doors....

Lyfisin
03-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Not always Brook......;) .

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/scotts_ductcar.jpg

I see what you mean. If that was my car, I probably wouldn't care if it got a couple dents. The whole back looks like cardboard and duct tape.

It reminds me of my friends old "Scout" car. He hauled Boy Scouts around in it and he didn't care how trashed it got as long as it was still ok from a safety perspective.