PDA

View Full Version : Mpg

Mark #2
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Don't know who might have a daily driver with 60s and a 2400 MAF, but if you do, what is your MPG around town?

I get remarkable highway MPG just over 20 (FFW trip data), but around town it is <10.

dboat
03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Don't know who might have a daily driver with 60s and a 2400 MAF, but if you do, what is your MPG around town?

I get remarkable highway MPG just over 20 (FFW trip data), but around town it is <10.

Dont take this the wrong way, but you actually measure your gas mileage in an L?

I cant tell you how many people ask me my gas mileage and I just tell them I dont know and dont want to.. I didnt buy it for that.. I will say that I got right at 20 on one trip from D to Austin.. but that was the only time I measured it.. didnt think it was worth it and I would just get depressed over it. Although, if I drive the L hard, I can almost see the gauge drop as I am driving. :evil

Dana

WA 2 FST
03-21-2006, 09:43 PM
I must just be obsessed with numbers or something b/c I check gas mileage at every fill up in all 4 of my vehicles. It's a habit, and its so easy with the trip odometers. I just do it in my head, I don't chart it or anything like that. It doesn't make me change my driving habits when I'm behind the wheel of a given vehicle, though.

If I want to save gas, I drive the S-10 pickup (23mpg). If I'm out with my family, we're in the Expedition (~11-12mpg... 95% city). If I need to corner-carve and spin the tires at 85-100mph, then I drive the Z06 (27mpg highway/16-17mpg city...95% city). And if I want to drive the L, which is quite often, then it comes out to play at 13-14mpg. I don't know how you guys get 20 on the highway. Must be a very lean tune under light loads, and you're cruising at an optimum speed on very flat roads (typical Texas, of course) with little to no traffic. When I'm on the highway, I'm typically doing 75-80mph, so there's no way I'd get 20mpg.

***Funny thing is that I'm curious as to the answer to the question Mark raises, though. If I do a KB blower or the like, I may be stepping up the fuel system as well. It would be nice to know what to expect.***

Mark #2
03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Dont take this the wrong way, but you actually measure your gas mileage in an L?
Dana

Yes, as I drive mine everyday...everyday that it doesn't rain.:D

It's pretty bad that a 20 year old K5 gets better mileage around town.

I just don't understand why the L is so bad in town and so good on the highway.

Mark #2
03-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I must just be obsessed with numbers or something b/c I check gas mileage at every fill up in all 4 of my vehicles. It's a habit, and its so easy with the trip odometers. I just do it in my head, I don't chart it or anything like that. It doesn't make me change my driving habits when I'm behind the wheel of a given vehicle, though.

If I want to save gas, I drive the S-10 pickup (23mpg). If I'm out with my family, we're in the Expedition (~11-12mpg... 95% city). If I need to corner-carve and spin the tires at 85-100mph, then I drive the Z06 (27mpg highway/16-17mpg city...95% city). And if I want to drive the L, which is quite often, then it comes out to play at 13-14mpg. I don't know how you guys get 20 on the highway. Must be a very lean tune under light loads, and you're cruising at an optimum speed on very flat roads (typical Texas, of course) with little to no traffic. When I'm on the highway, I'm typically doing 75-80mph, so there's no way I'd get 20mpg.

***Funny thing is that I'm curious as to the answer to the question Mark raises, though. If I do a KB blower or the like, I may be stepping up the fuel system as well. It would be nice to know what to expect.***

My 20 MPG runs(many now) have been for 300 to 600 miles at ~77 MPH, with some 120 MPH blasts in there as well (thought I was busted on the last Kansas toll booth punch):D

14.7 A/F when on the cruise control.
Just don't understand why it is so bad around town.:confused:

wesman
03-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Same here ....20+ on the Highway (all true Highway driving) and 10 or so for city driving.....mind you I do like to drive my cars...it earns it's 10mpg's :burnout:

--wes

gagspa
03-22-2006, 09:03 AM
The best I have ever gotten was 15. That was starting in Bossier City, LA leaving the station right next to the freeway, cruise control at 74 back to Dallas and immediately exiting to the gas station. No stops and no need to take it off cruise. Any other time it has been around 13-14 on the highway and 12 in town.

FRDRCING
03-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I get between 11 and 12 in the city and 17-18 on the Hwy. just depends if I keep my foot out of it.

lenard_hester
03-22-2006, 10:53 AM
I need to find out what some of you guys are doing. I am in the low end of the boat. I consistently get 12.5 around town, and I have gotten a best of 15.4 highway (that was driving up to Kansas).

I would weep tears of joy if I ever came anywhere near 20.

Beaudee
03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
I need to find out what some of you guys are doing. I am in the low end of the boat. I consistently get 12.5 around town, and I have gotten a best of 15.4 highway (that was driving up to Kansas).

I would weep tears of joy if I ever came anywhere near 20.
Mine is the same way,i dont think i have ever got more than 13 anywhere.Thats with staying out of it too.Would be nice to see gas federaly regulated,the gas gougers are back @ it again.

wesman
03-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Mine is the same way,i dont think i have ever got more than 13 anywhere.Thats with staying out of it too.Would be nice to see gas federaly regulated,the gas gougers are back @ it again.

Funny you mention that. We went to florida first week of March and just got back Sunday. The first thing I noticed was that gas was about $0.30 higher than it was when we left. It's actually higher here than it was in Florida.

I hadn't heard much about the reasons for the increase so it was a pretty big shock to see such a drastic increase in two weeks time.

--wes

Beaudee
03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Funny you mention that. We went to florida first week of March and just got back Sunday. The first thing I noticed was that gas was about $0.30 higher than it was when we left. It's actually higher here than it was in Florida.

I hadn't heard much about the reasons for the increase so it was a pretty big shock to see such a drastic increase in two weeks time.

--wes
Bastards are raising the price before the tanker comes to fill the station tanks.I think we will see over 3 bucks a gallon by mid summer:flaming:

WA 2 FST
03-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Bastards are raising the price before the tanker comes to fill the station tanks.I think we will see over 3 bucks a gallon by mid summer:flaming:

I agree, Beau. Once the "theshold of pain" went away at $2.30-2.50/gal, they can charge that and not get all the negative press. Then they can inch it up even higher (I think I paid $2.64 last week for 93), and people just go about their business.

I should have bought stock in Exxon 12-14 months ago. :(

Tex Arcana
03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
When I got my L, I was seeing between 15-17 city and 20-22 highway--and I do NOT drive like :ron:!! :rll:

Nowadays I'm seeing around 13.5-14 city, 17-19 highway, and those numbers didn't change from before the tune. Go figger, I suppose.:shrug:

Beaudee
03-22-2006, 05:33 PM
When gas hit over 3 a gallon last time i was spending over 500 bucks a month in fuel btwn. the GTO and the L..I have to work overtime to pay for fuel.I am thinking about a Geo Metro or a single cab nissan p-up to use for work.I am probally close to 500 bucks a month now.I feel for the folks who drive diesels, they have it worse than we do.I am ready to buy some 55 gal drums and burry them in the yard to store fuel.:rll:

Mark #2
03-22-2006, 05:33 PM
I agree, Beau. Once the "theshold of pain" went away at $2.30-2.50/gal, they can charge that and not get all the negative press. Then they can inch it up even higher (I think I paid $2.64 last week for 93), and people just go about their business.

I should have bought stock in Exxon 12-14 months ago. :(

I did, gas will continue to increase in price, can't wait to see the pricing after next natural or induced disaster.

Beaudee
03-22-2006, 05:36 PM
I am ready to go nuclear!!:d :D

Silver_2000
03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
When gas hit over 3 a gallon last time i was spending over 500 bucks a month in fuel btwn. the GTO and the L..I have to work overtime to pay for fuel.I am thinking about a Geo Metro or a single cab nissan p-up to use for work.I am probally close to 500 bucks a month now.I feel for the folks who drive diesels, they have it worse than we do.I am ready to buy some 55 gal drums and burry them in the yard to store fuel.:rll: if you get something with 2x the mileage AND save half your gas bill will that pay the car payement and insurance on the geo metro and the mental health bills for having to drive a POS

Beaudee
03-22-2006, 05:41 PM
if you get something with 2x the mileage AND save half your gas bill will that pay the car payement and insurance on the geo metro and the mental health bills for having to drive a POS
Good point Doug,looks like a bit of O.T. will be the solution.Maybe one of Terrys low octane fuel tunes.Its gona have to get well over 3 before i do something.Maybe take it out on some gougers ass or gas station.:d

Mark #2
03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Thinking about pulling the blower belt off and driving around for a while just to see what the mileage would be.
Any danger in doing this?

Silver_2000
03-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Thinking about pulling the blower belt off and driving around for a while just to see what the mileage would be.
Any danger in doing this?

I did it for a few days when I busted the hub on the JDM pulley

Its amazing how different it drives - Im not sure how the mileage would go up though

Mark #2
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
I did it for a few days when I busted the hub on the JDM pulley

Its amazing how different it drives - Im not sure how the mileage would go up though

Because the MAF will be at low voltages and the vacuum fuel pressure regulator will always be under vacuum not boost, just like when cruising on the highway?

I've got EGT, A/F, vacuum/boost, and fuel pressure gauges, so I should be able to monitor for any issues.

DOE for the engineer;)

Tex Arcana
03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
if you get something with 2x the mileage AND save half your gas bill will that pay the car payement and insurance on the geo metro and the mental health bills for having to drive a POS

BEATER For Teh Win!! :tongue:
http://www.1069thefox.com/images/WCEvents/beater1.jpg

dboat
03-23-2006, 08:38 AM
When I got my L, I was seeing between 15-17 city and 20-22 highway--and I do NOT drive like :ron:!! :rll:

Nowadays I'm seeing around 13.5-14 city, 17-19 highway, and those numbers didn't change from before the tune. Go figger, I suppose.:shrug:

Tex, If I remember correctly, I got the 20 with the tune..
Dana

Tex Arcana
03-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Tex, If I remember correctly, I got the 20 with the tune..
Dana

Well, my mpg had dropped before I got the tuner, so I figure it's somethign else, either my heavy foot or plugs. Either that or you drive like :ron: :rll:

BC Lightning
03-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I dont know my MPG, and really dont care to. I drive about 90% highway. I know that I get around 295 miles out of a tank, sometimes running out of fuel and coasting into the gas station. I usually fill up about every 3-4 days. I still spend over $450 in gas a month. Once it hits European prices of $6-7 for a litre, 4 litre/gallon = around $30/gallon, then I'll start caring.

dboat
03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Well, my mpg had dropped before I got the tuner, so I figure it's somethign else, either my heavy foot or plugs. Either that or you drive like :ron: :rll:

No :ron: here.. just doing it on the highway.

Tex Arcana
03-24-2006, 12:10 AM
No :ron: here.. just doing it on the highway.

It seems I ahve to be doing OVER 80 to get decent highway milage; when I made my run to Houston for FEMA training, the first half of the run was close to 20, and I was doing between 80-90mph... :eek2:

dboat
03-24-2006, 07:58 PM
It seems I ahve to be doing OVER 80 to get decent highway milage; when I made my run to Houston for FEMA training, the first half of the run was close to 20, and I was doing between 80-90mph... :eek2::tu: :tu: