PDA

View Full Version : What is your goal with your Lightning

dboat
04-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I occasionnally sit back and think about what am I trying to do with my L. You know, what do I want to achieve. Well, in thinking about this, and having taken some steps towards a goal, here is what I have in mind.

I want it to be fast and bone stock reliable. I want to improve on its weaknesses and strengths. I want it to be a daily driver and be calm at times and a beast when I need it to be a beast. I want to strike fear in the hearts of other cars. I want all the systems to be optimized without sacrificing the above.
I have entrusted Terry to do most of the work and he has done all of it very very well. :tu:
Lastly, I have tried to keep my L stealthy. Meaning, you cant tell that its been modded too much. From the outside, it has chrome wheels and Snuglid. The stereo head unit is Ford, but comes from a Mustang. The engine looks stock except for the airfilter and C&L stuff. The ported Eaton looks stock. So I dont draw too much attention..
I am still thinking about a few other things to do to it.. I have upgraded the suspension, brakes and stereo, including dynamat to the interior.

I have a few bling things in mind but not too much more in the power department. I have thought about one of those X braces to firm up the chassis.

I want it to be fast down the 1/4 mile but want it to handle in autocross too.

Do I want too much from a truck? maybe..

So what do you guys have in plan for yours?

Dana

Alpine
04-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Blow it up and get a new motor.

My motor --> :throw: <-- My foot

BC Lightning
04-04-2006, 08:14 PM
My goal is possible, even though some say its not possible, even though I know LS1 based trucks have done it........... be able to throw slicks in the bed of my truck, drive to the track, jack the rear end up, put the slicks on, load my race tune, let it cool off, and be able to run consistent 10 sec passes, put the street tires back on, and drive home. Thats my goal, if it takes a built longblock, 2.6 KB or Whipple or Turbo, or other variables then thats fine with me, I want it to be extremely fast, look good with interior and exterior mods, and I will continue to drive it daily

Thats my goal

RUNVS
04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
I've already reached my short term goal. Having a 12-second truck that still has all its creature comforts and bags its share of show trophies is good enough for now.

Long term plans call for a built motor and transmission, but I'd like to get another year or two out of the stock shortblock first.

WA 2 FST
04-04-2006, 08:57 PM
My goal is possible, even though some say its not possible, even though I know LS1 based trucks have done it........... be able to throw slicks in the bed of my truck, drive to the track, jack the rear end up, put the slicks on, load my race tune, let it cool off, and be able to run consistent 10 sec passes, put the street tires back on, and drive home. Thats

One difference (assuming you're talking about Parish's truck) is that those LS1-based trucks are 4WD. They will ET better than our trucks. However, they will not handle nearly as well, and you can run with them on the highway, even if you don't quite ET as well.

I think what you propose can be done, but I also don't think you'll be able to reliably drive it as aggressively on the street as you might do now.

I got into two "encounters" with my L over the past week. One was a 50mph roll-on with some sort of rice-burner... not even sure what it was. I thoroughly enjoyed putting 200' on him up to ~120mph. I didn't worry about blowing a motor or a trans. I just romped on it and took off. I also raced some sort of Hemi-powered truck from a 1st gear roll-on... he was revving his motor at me, and probably had no clue what a Lightning was. That wasn't even a race. But the point is that I want to have fun in my truck and not worry about busting stuff when I romp on the gas. I don't do it often every day, but if I have to worry about downshifting into 1st or 2nd and lighting the tires a bit, then more mods are not worth it, IMHO. I'll just stick with the mid, high-12 second capable truck that I have.

Also, _traction_ is a huge issue. All the power doesn't do squat if you can't hook it up pretty well. For a daily driver, I'm not sure a 10-second truck (on slicks) will be all that fun if it is only capable of low-12s on street rubber. If you're going to track it every other week, then you'll get lots of smiles for the $$ spent. But if all you're doing is spinning the tires on the street, then you will have diminishing returns on all that $$ invested. Just my $.02.

That's why I'm not sure what I'm doing with my truck beyond the very simple things I've done to this point.

BC Lightning
04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
One difference (assuming you're talking about Parish's truck) is that those LS1-based trucks are 4WD. They will ET better than our trucks. However, they will not handle nearly as well, and you can run with them on the highway, even if you don't quite ET as well.

I think what you propose can be done, but I also don't think you'll be able to reliably drive it as aggressively on the street as you might do now.

I got into two "encounters" with my L over the past week. One was a 50mph roll-on with some sort of rice-burner... not even sure what it was. I thoroughly enjoyed putting 200' on him up to ~120mph. I didn't worry about blowing a motor or a trans. I just romped on it and took off. I also raced some sort of Hemi-powered truck from a 1st gear roll-on... he was revving his motor at me, and probably had no clue what a Lightning was. That wasn't even a race. But the point is that I want to have fun in my truck and not worry about busting stuff when I romp on the gas. I don't do it often every day, but if I have to worry about downshifting into 1st or 2nd and lighting the tires a bit, then more mods are not worth it, IMHO. I'll just stick with the mid, high-12 second capable truck that I have.

Also, _traction_ is a huge issue. All the power doesn't do squat if you can't hook it up pretty well. For a daily driver, I'm not sure a 10-second truck (on slicks) will be all that fun if it is only capable of low-12s on street rubber. If you're going to track it every other week, then you'll get lots of smiles for the $$ spent. But if all you're doing is spinning the tires on the street, then you will have diminishing returns on all that $$ invested. Just my $.02.

That's why I'm not sure what I'm doing with my truck beyond the very simple things I've done to this point.

I wasn't refering to parish's truck, rather ones I directly know

That's why I love cheater slicks. I still have a set of et streets that I street race with and they are dot approved. I also purchased a set of 16" bogarts and after talking to wes will be buying tires from m&h.

I have always been the type not to worry if it breaks, but if it does I'll fix it then and not worry about it now.

I also don't believe in taking off the snug lid, tailgate, or seats to get a tenth off, if it does happen and I do hit 10's I want it to be the same way I street race in

QDRHRSE
04-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Dana,

I don't have goals for my truck. What I definitely want, however, is a 12 second truck that has all the amenities of a DD....pretty much the same as you. I can't seem to stop spending....pretty much the same as you. I've convinced myself to not buy anything for a while but who knows how long that will last. I actually bought another blower and it's getting ported so I lied....I also bought a ZEX wet kit and I'm considering putting 4.10's in. My point is this- don't think about it so much. Just enjoy it while it's there and don't go overboard.

dboat
04-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Dana,

I don't have goals for my truck. What I definitely want, however, is a 12 second truck that has all the amenities of a DD....pretty much the same as you. I can't seem to stop spending....pretty much the same as you. I've convinced myself to not buy anything for a while but who knows how long that will last. I actually bought another blower and it's getting ported so I lied....I also bought a ZEX wet kit and I'm considering putting 4.10's in. My point is this- don't think about it so much. Just enjoy it while it's there and don't go overboard.

I was hoping that I could get into the 11's (high 11's) on what I have now, but will prob need DR's or slicks to do it.. but thats ok..

p.s. great minds think alike..

Beaudee
04-05-2006, 06:16 PM
My goal is to keep it quick,reliable ,sporty and humiliate every other sports car with it off every light,especially non-american made.:d Not to mention any other p-up especially of the Dodge variety.

StormShadow
04-05-2006, 06:43 PM
To keep me entertained. Bottom line. :tu: When and if I ever get tired of it or it's not fun to me anymore (can't imagine that) I'll get something else.

True Blue Aggie
04-05-2006, 07:33 PM
nm..

Mark #2
04-05-2006, 07:36 PM
To keep me entertained. Bottom line. :tu: When and if I ever get tired of it or it's not fun to me anymore (can't imagine that) I'll get something else.

Best post above.
That is exactly why I have a class wining PCA 911 race car sitting in the garage untouched for the past 6 years, got bored with it and bought the L.
Now just to get rid of 911, I will just have to give it away(no market) at this point.

LS1 Eater
04-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Well the street truck im with Michael on. I just want to drive there run 10's and drive home. On the other truck Im looking to dig real deep. Not sure on the times yet. But Im looking to go after some of the real fast Gen 2's and Gen 1's.

PoorSvtman
04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
right now i just plan on finishing my motor which will be in a week then the sucker goes back in

Moonshine
04-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Now just to get rid of 911, I will just have to give it away.

Well, OK, but only to help you out. :evil

QDRHRSE
04-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Best post above.
That is exactly why I have a class wining PCA 911 race car sitting in the garage untouched for the past 6 years, got bored with it and bought the L.
Now just to get rid of 911, I will just have to give it away(no market) at this point.

Give it to me! I live 20 minutes from Willow Springs raceway....I go out with the porsche club all the time. My buddy has a 930.

Mark #2
04-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, OK, but only to help you out. :evil
If you are a non-profit organization then it's yours.;)

Drove it up and down the alley tonight to see if it still runs.
A visit from the Richardson's finest soon?
They haven't been recently as the WWFB garage has been silent for a while.;)

my2002lightning
04-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Hmm. Now that I've upgraded to Hotchkis coils/sways and lowered the hind-end, I might need to go with revalved Hotchkis/Bilstein unit or maybe QA1s to accompany the suspension all around.

A thumpin' stereo system would be nice - but I like to hear all the L machinery at work.:)

I need time for a Tropi-Care session, too. :cool:

dboat
04-06-2006, 02:39 AM
I need time for a Tropi-Care session, too. :cool:

Ronald, no longer a Zaino nazi? I didnt think you would give up that stuff.

Dana

Nuhklz
04-06-2006, 07:14 AM

I've been thinking about how to put it to words and Adam said it best.

I've never raced my truck on the track but I've put some $$ into it to make it unique. I don't have the desire to race but I feel great when I'm sitting at a light or rolling down the avenue and people notice the truck and make comments.

L-Fever
04-06-2006, 07:20 AM

I've never raced my truck on the track but I've put some $$ into it to make it unique. I don't have the desire to race but I feel great when I'm sitting at a light or rolling down the avenue and people notice the truck and make comments.

:tu:

Moonshine
04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
If you are a non-profit organization then it's yours.;)

At the moment I am actually not for profit. Now if you want 501 (c) 3 status...........;)

QDRHRSE
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
...if you went over my personal finances you would see that it is my wife's intension to have no profit...what's the difference?

Tex Arcana
04-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I occasionnally sit back and think about what am I trying to do with my L. You know, what do I want to achieve. Well, in thinking about this, and having taken some steps towards a goal, here is what I have in mind.

I want it to be fast and bone stock reliable. I want to improve on its weaknesses and strengths. I want it to be a daily driver and be calm at times and a beast when I need it to be a beast. I want to strike fear in the hearts of other cars. I want all the systems to be optimized without sacrificing the above.
I have entrusted Terry to do most of the work and he has done all of it very very well. :tu:
Lastly, I have tried to keep my L stealthy. Meaning, you cant tell that its been modded too much. From the outside, it has chrome wheels and Snuglid. The stereo head unit is Ford, but comes from a Mustang. The engine looks stock except for the airfilter and C&L stuff. The ported Eaton looks stock. So I dont draw too much attention..
I am still thinking about a few other things to do to it.. I have upgraded the suspension, brakes and stereo, including dynamat to the interior.

I have a few bling things in mind but not too much more in the power department. I have thought about one of those X braces to firm up the chassis.

I want it to be fast down the 1/4 mile but want it to handle in autocross too.

Do I want too much from a truck? maybe..

So what do you guys have in plan for yours?

Dana

GMTA. YOu and I think alot alike, as i'm already headed the same way you are. Of course, my mad-scientist side is coming out, and I have plans that go off in different directions than your standard L-fare (like turning left AND right!! :tu:). I ran the slicks this past weekend, and DAYUM those suckers stick!! But they now pointed up the need for more power: on the relative-straightaway on the course, I was full-on WOT out of the corner, and was wishing for more, the slicks make a HUGE difference in grip and traction.

So, to answer the question: I need to finish the suspension mods, I want an X-brace, and I want a 4-lb and a chip in the interim, with a Whipple or KB in the works for future power.

Oh, and YGPM. :tu:

Silver_2000
04-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Ive already reached my goals
I have a vehicle that I fit well in that has a TON or torque and is reasonably priced

Its faster than most things on the road and is very reliable and a ton of fun to drive. Sounds good and looks better now that I have chrome rims.

My old truck ran 12.28 - It also beat every attendee at the SVT ontrack event in both the autocross and the slalom. Byoy were the mustang boys embarrassed.

Both the trucks have helped me become connected to a great group of people both all the great TALON folks and people from around the world.

I saw a SVTlightnings.com sticker on the back of a Lightning in Germany - That was pretty cool ...

Yep my goals are met ... Time for a new ride...............

Tex Arcana
04-06-2006, 03:42 PM
My old truck ran 12.28 - It also beat every attendee at the SVT ontrack event in both the autocross and the slalom. Byoy were the mustang boys embarrassed.

omfg.. HE MAKES TURNS!!! :eek2:

Yep my goals are met ... Time for a new ride...............
And now the thread will derail and head off into the weeds... :evil

Silver_2000
04-06-2006, 03:45 PM
omfg.. HE MAKES TURNS!!! :eek2:

OMFG - He jumped to a conclusion....:mad:

Tex Arcana
04-06-2006, 03:53 PM
OMFG - He jumped to a conclusion....:mad:
:rll:

PoorSvtman
04-06-2006, 04:12 PM

Your truck is beautiful.. saw you yesterday on campus.. looked like you were going to sams...

dboat
04-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Well I am glad that I had some folks post up what they are trying to do. Kinda surprised I didnt hear from Rocks, he has been quiet on the boards the last few days.

The main question is now, can I get into the 11's with my current setup or what else will I have to do to get there and will it make my ride less reliable?:confused:

Dana

see mod list below..

StormShadow
04-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Ron is in Atlanta at FFW

RUNVS
04-06-2006, 08:08 PM
My observations have shown that to get consistant 11-second passes out of our trucks, they require around 530 SAE HP or about 465 RWHP. The stock shortblock was not built to handle that much power........ not for very long, anyway. Neither will the stock 4R100 automatic.

I know some guys with stock bottom ends who have run some high 11's in the cooler months, but when it heats up, they're back to low 12's (nothing to sneeze at).

Unless you plan to ventilate your block in search of 11s, you'd do well to get a built motor first. The transmission would be the next weak link you'd need to upgrade.

WA 2 FST
04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Well I am glad that I had some folks post up what they are trying to do. Kinda surprised I didnt hear from Rocks, he has been quiet on the boards the last few days.

The main question is now, can I get into the 11's with my current setup or what else will I have to do to get there and will it make my ride less reliable?:confused:

Dana

see mod list below..

11s with your list below? No, not a chance. I doubt you will run faster trap speeds than I do at my current level (393rwhp SAE corrected... 109mph), and that isn't going to get close to the 11s, even with slicks, full drag suspension and a more aggressive TQ converter (I've done none of those things, so my ET stinks @ 12.8).

I agree with RUNVS... you'll need 465-480rwhp to hit 11s consistently, but maybe up in the northeast you'll have more opportunities for "good air" and you'll be able to take advantage of it.

StormShadow
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
you'll need 465-480rwhp to hit 11s .
+1

Mark #2
04-06-2006, 10:29 PM
My observations have shown that to get consistent 11-second passes out of our trucks, they require around 530 SAE HP or about 465 RWHP. The stock shortblock was not built to handle that much power........ not for very long, anyway. Neither will the stock 4R100 automatic.

I know some guys with stock bottom ends who have run some high 11's in the cooler months, but when it heats up, they're back to low 12's (nothing to sneeze at).

Unless you plan to ventilate your block in search of 11s, you'd do well to get a built motor first. The transmission would be the next weak link you'd need to upgrade.

Been running 11s for a couple of years on a stock block, transmission, and stock 3.55 gears, even as high as 100 degrees.
Never run in the really cold yet, nor do I want to
500+ RWHP to do 11s everyday.

Tex Arcana
04-06-2006, 11:57 PM
My observations have shown that to get consistant 11-second passes out of our trucks, they require around 530 SAE HP or about 465 RWHP. The stock shortblock was not built to handle that much power........ not for very long, anyway. Neither will the stock 4R100 automatic.

I disagree, in that the trans needs to be addressed first. I think the stock blocks can handle quite a bit (see Mark#2's and Cryder's motors), but the trans is the true weak link.

RUNVS
04-07-2006, 10:29 AM
There will always be exceptions to the 500 HP rule. I'll be the first to tip my hat to those Lightning owners who have accomplished this feat for any substantial length of time. Driving habits, routine maintenance, tune quality,...etc. will all play into how long a stock block will stay together at those power levels.

However, history has shown that an overwhelming majority of stock block motors have let go when power levels exceed 450 RWHP. I have seen more than my share of windowed motors and I will never be convinced that the stock rods are sufficient for that kind of stress.

The 4R100 automatic in the Lightning is near maximum load capacity at stock engine torque levels. The increased torque that modded motors create will eventually push a stock transmission past its limits. It's really not a matter of if, but when.

Bottom line is that if 500+ RWHP, 11-second passes, and long term reliability are the ultimate goals, a built shortblock and transmission would reduce the risk of catastophic failure substantially.

BC Lightning
04-07-2006, 11:23 AM
There will always be exceptions to the 500 HP rule. I'll be the first to tip my hat to those Lightning owners who have accomplished this feat for any substantial length of time. Driving habits, routine maintenance, tune quality,...etc. will all play into how long a stock block will stay together at those power levels.

However, history has shown that an overwhelming majority of stock block motors have let go when power levels exceed 450 RWHP. I have seen more than my share of windowed motors and I will never be convinced that the stock rods are sufficient for that kind of stress.

The 4R100 automatic in the Lightning is near maximum load capacity at stock engine torque levels. The increased torque that modded motors create will eventually push a stock transmission past its limits. It's really not a matter of if, but when.

Bottom line is that if 500+ RWHP, 11-second passes, and long term reliability are the ultimate goals, a built shortblock and transmission would reduce the risk of catastophic failure substantially.

I agree, yet on my 2002 L I only had a chip, 4# pulley, CAI, Cat-back and blew 4 rods out of the motor and I was only pushing around 390 rwhp

RUNVS
04-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your motor, Michael. I've known some guys that blew motors up with the same setup. Many of those were attributed to either a bad tune, or owner error. 90% of the trucks I've seen experience engine failure were imploded during cold weather and the owner did not make adjustments in their tune or account for the higher boost levels brought on by the dense cold air charge.

In your case, 390 RWHP is roughly 52 RWHP more than stock. Most Lightnings I've witnessed on a loaded (Mustang) dyno make around 334-338 RWHP in stock trim. Factor in the 15%-17% drivetrain loss and with 390 RWHP, you're looking at about 450 horses at the crank. While that should be within the limits of the stock internals, we all know that those pesky variables can come into play and ruin the day.

Like I eluded to earlier, there are dozens of variables that can cause a blown motor. Eliminating or controlling as many of those variables as possible will lead to drivetrain longevity and dependability. Finding the balance between peak power output and reliability is the tricky part. :burnout:

Tex Arcana
04-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your motor, Michael. I've known some guys that blew motors up with the same setup. Many of those were attributed to either a bad tune, or owner error. 90% of the trucks I've seen experience engine failure were imploded during cold weather and the owner did not make adjustments in their tune or account for the higher boost levels brought on by the dense cold air charge.

In your case, 390 RWHP is roughly 52 RWHP more than stock. Most Lightnings I've witnessed on a loaded (Mustang) dyno make around 334-338 RWHP in stock trim. Factor in the 15%-17% drivetrain loss and with 390 RWHP, you're looking at about 450 horses at the crank. While that should be within the limits of the stock internals, we all know that those pesky variables can come into play and ruin the day.

Like I alluded to earlier, there are dozens of variables that can cause a blown motor. Eliminating or controlling as many of those variables as possible will lead to drivetrain longevity and dependability. Finding the balance between peak power output and reliability is the tricky part. :burnout:

The weakest link in the motor is the rods, and it's been proven that overrevving the motor is what kills the rods. Detonation is the primary hazard, but if someone is pushing beyond the stock redline with a tune, they're pushing the rods too much. If anything, pulling the fuel cutoff just short of stock redline would help save things. Of course, we're shooting in the dark because we have no idea when detonation is occuring, and neither does the ECU, otherwise we wouldn't worry so much. :(