PDA

View Full Version : Is there an SVT or not?

rickgig
04-13-2006, 08:36 AM
I just got this from The Car Connection... looks like SVT is alive and a new F-150 version could be on the way.

Ford Takes Three-Pronged Approach to Performance

Ford plans to beef up its performance portfolio, Mark Fields, the automaker's President of the Americas , told a New York Auto Show audience on Wednesday. Central to the strategy is a renewed emphasis on the SVT line, which had been neglected in recent years. "The plan is to offer one performance car and one truck, going forward," Fields explained, with the pair likely to generate from 5000 to 10,000 annual sales. A version of the Mustang and another SVT makeover of the F-Series pickup will be the latest offerings. Then there'll be "personalized performance," allowing customers to buy from a broad catalog of performance parts and accessories. The third leg of Ford's performance strategy is the Ford Racing unit.

L-Fever
04-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I just called the old SVT 800 number: 800-367-3788 and asked the person on the other end what was up. He said SVT was just "blended in" to the Ford Pefrormance group and that the only SVT type vehicle they have as of right now is the SHELBY GT500 . When I asked about the future of SVT type vehicles he said that he doesn't know what is going to happen or he also said he didn't know if any new/future vehicles would have a svt badge or not.

rickgig
04-13-2006, 10:07 AM
The corporate world is a strange world... hopefully Ford has been getting heat over the SRT products and "SS" products. Performance pulls in people regardless of whether they buy muscle or not.

I hope Mark Fields wasn't just giving lip service.

For what it's worth... my brother is a service manager at a Ford dealership (a small one). He was saying that the SVT dealers had a considerable cost to become an SVT dealer and several of the dealers are screaming loud and clear that they aren't happy. Don't know if that is loud enough to save anything.

tliss
04-13-2006, 10:07 AM
At this rate I'll be surprised if the Shelby makes it to production. Looks like the aftermarket is all we have to look forward to.

Tom

98Cobra
04-13-2006, 10:38 AM
The Shelby is a done deal. It will be made - there are already JOB1 dates, etc.

But they lost a customer of 10 years when they sank the SVT line, and jacked up the price on the Shelby to retarded levels.

Silver_2000
04-13-2006, 10:42 AM
maybe legit

seems an odd approach

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Car_Shows/New_York_Auto_Show/2006_New_York_Auto_Show_Part_I.S293.A10272.html