PDA

View Full Version : SES Lesson

DWSmooth
04-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Wanted to pass along an expensive piece of advice I got this week.

I’ve been plagued with my SES light coming on with codes 171 & 174 (lean bank 1, lean bank 2). I cleaned the mass airflow out, changed fuel filter, traced all vacuum hoses, and still had the SES coming on regularly. I was convinced my fuel pump was on the fritz, so with 2 weeks left on my extended warranty I took it to the dealer and explained what was happening. Within 2 hours the dealer called me back and gave me the diagnosis; FREAKEN PCV Valve!!

Service Tech said that the orifice hole in the aftermarket one I had was to small, therefore restricting the flow some causing the SES to trigger.

The one I got from Autozone about 4-5 months ago was for F-150 5.4, but not for the Lightning apparently? Dealer replaced PCV valve to the tune of $157, $88 was for diagnosis; the rest was part & labor.

So if you have an SES code of 171 & 174, check your PCV valve first……..

David

lenard_hester
04-14-2006, 12:40 PM
There is indeed a lesson to be learned here.....don't shop at autozone unless you know exactly what you need. I only have about a 50% success rate with them when I tell them what I want and have them look it up. I made several trips once when trying to get brake pads for my brother-in-laws SVT focus... after the second wrong set, I went to O'Reilly and they got it on the first try. I only shop there now.

dboat
04-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Wanted to pass along an expensive piece of advice I got this week.

I’ve been plagued with my SES light coming on with codes 171 & 174 (lean bank 1, lean bank 2). I cleaned the mass airflow out, changed fuel filter, traced all vacuum hoses, and still had the SES coming on regularly. I was convinced my fuel pump was on the fritz, so with 2 weeks left on my extended warranty I took it to the dealer and explained what was happening. Within 2 hours the dealer called me back and gave me the diagnosis; FREAKEN PCV Valve!!

Service Tech said that the orifice hole in the aftermarket one I had was to small, therefore restricting the flow some causing the SES to trigger.

The one I got from Autozone about 4-5 months ago was for F-150 5.4, but not for the Lightning apparently? Dealer replaced PCV valve to the tune of $157, $88 was for diagnosis; the rest was part & labor.

So if you have an SES code of 171 & 174, check your PCV valve first……..

David

now that you mention it.. how often are you supposed to change that thing?

Tex Arcana
04-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Considering it's not a traditional check valve like a normal PCV valve is, it doens't seem to need replacement IMO. No idea what the actual interval is, tho.

Speaking of: my PCV system reroute (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10793&highlight=FICKSED) hasn't thrown a code yet, and everything is clean and working properly. :tu:

bluesvt
04-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Mine threw those codes a couple weeks ago but luckily it was only a vac line.

Mark #2
04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
now that you mention it.. how often are you supposed to change that thing?

I have not changed mine in 6 years.
I took it off and can blow through it in both directions, ah the taste of Mobil 1, and it rattles when shaken (old school test for PCV valves).

Tex Arcana
04-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I have not changed mine in 6 years.
I took it off and can blow through it in both directions, ah the taste of Mobil 1, and it rattles when shaken (old school test for PCV valves).
Yah, that's what I did, sprayed some B12 thru it.

L8 APEX
04-14-2006, 09:32 PM
SOunds like hockey to me, I bet it will come back on.. Or they fixed the real cause and trumped a charge to get paid..

my2002lightning
04-15-2006, 03:24 AM
I had the same codes recently, but mine seemed to be from SVT/Eaton milling-slop between the S/C and intercooler, according to the dealership. I've never touched the PVC, either.

New blower for $50 under ESP. No SES code since, as well.:cool: