PDA

View Full Version : Tuning ?'s

QDRHRSE
04-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I think that I have finally reached a point where I'm actually entering a more functional stage in my Lightning project. The truck looks good, runs pretty good, the stereo system is adequate.....

Now I'm starting to try to make it run faster. I have my EXCAL2 working and most of my goodies bolted on. I was sure that after the EXCAL2, SBTB, and BA2400, and a 6lb pulley went on, the truck would run like a raped ape....it didn't. Although, it is smooth, shifts great, and overall, operating very well, it's not super fast. I thought about it and figured that it had to be the tune. I told my tuner to give me a safe/conservative 91 octane street tune. I called him and asked a bunch of questions and it turns out that I was right. He only gave me 12 degrees of timing and kept my tune conservative. Will +2 degrees more timing make a significant difference? I just figured out how to manipulate the EXCAL and I can add +2 more timing. Any suggestions? If I boost the timing, how much more fuel should I give it as well? Please remember.....I'm talking street tune. I have race and nitrous tunes too.

StormShadow
04-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Why didn't you ask your tuner these questions?:confused: Your best bet is to decide on ONE tuner and go with what they say. Once you start mixing and matching then its your problem. Your original tuner may or may not decide to help you out once you fock up your truck.

QDRHRSE
04-14-2006, 03:33 PM
I did talk to him and he told me to go ahead and give it more timing. You can only make minor changes to EXCAL2 tunes (unless youhave the pro racer package- I don't). I was just wondering what everybody's personal experiences have been. Since I haven't done much L tuning, I was just wanted to see if a little timing would really make a big difference.

StormShadow
04-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I did talk to him and he told me to go ahead and give it more timing. You can only make minor changes to EXCAL2 tunes (unless youhave the pro racer package- I don't). I was just wondering what everybody's personal experiences have been. Since I haven't done much L tuning, I was just wanted to see if a little timing would really make a big difference.

I believe each degree is worth roughly 10hp.

QDRHRSE
04-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Wow. I can't wait to run some good gas and my race tune. I hope that rule will work for me. I'm gonna set up my wide band and do some data logging to keep it safe just so I don't get out of hand.