View Full Version : Top Gear Reviews the Z06

98Cobra
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I clipped it from last night's episode and its available here:

http://media.putfile.com/Top-Gear-Z06

:nana2

WA 2 FST
05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
The show actually now has a little credibility with the American enthusiast. The guy loved it, except for some rough street manners... not something an American enthusiast cares that much about, to be honest.

What a bad-arse car! Great video. :)

Beaudee
05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Is it me or did the car shrink from all sides.I havent see the new one yet in person.

WA 2 FST
05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Is it me or did the car shrink from all sides.I havent see the new one yet in person.

Yes, the car is a bit shorter... the wheels are also pushed out (fore and aft) more.

dboat
05-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Now I want one again.. but will have to wait until I can get a used one a bit cheaper plus take driving school.. he was harsh on it regarding using it as a daily driver.. he did really rail on it from that perspective..

But what a great great car... why cant Ford do this?
Dana

WA 2 FST
05-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Now I want one again.. but will have to wait until I can get a used one a bit cheaper plus take driving school.. he was harsh on it regarding using it as a daily driver.. he did really rail on it from that perspective..

But what a great great car... why cant Ford do this?
Dana

That guy always has something negative to say about American-made cars. Performance-wise he was very quick to say (over and over again) that he couldn't figure why the Ferrari 575 (I think that's what is was) costs 3x what the Z06 does. But then he had to bash it on its use as a daily driver. Like the Ferrari would be any better. Please. It wouldn't. First of all, the Ferrari will require far more maintenance and leave you stranded far more often than the Z06. That's pretty important when you're talking daily-driver. What he didn't mention is that no matter how awesome the Z06 is, no one would ever pick it over the Ferrari if $$ was no object. ;)

For the guy to be THAT impressed with the performance of the car says a lot (b/c he's always so negative towards the US) and their own "hot shoe" ran some serious times with it around their test track.

03'svtlight
05-16-2006, 11:15 AM
That guy always has something negative to say about American-made cars. Performance-wise he was very quick to say (over and over again) that he couldn't figure why the Ferrari 575 (I think that's what is was) costs 3x what the Z06 does. But then he had to bash it on its use as a daily driver. Like the Ferrari would be any better. Please. It wouldn't. First of all, the Ferrari will require far more maintenance and leave you stranded far more often than the Z06. That's pretty important when you're talking daily-driver. What he didn't mention is that no matter how awesome the Z06 is, no one would ever pick it over the Ferrari if $$ was no object. ;)

For the guy to be THAT impressed with the performance of the car says a lot (b/c he's always so negative towards the US) and their own "hot shoe" ran some serious times with it around their test track.
Actually the guy is a bit off on the daily driver aspect.... My friend has one and I actually kept it for a day and the ride is what you expect from a vette or any other 2-seater sports car for that matter. It just cruises along like a stocker and it shows "almost" no signs of its bite until you stomp it.... I got it to around 55mph in first gear... He says It'll do 70.....I have to say I'm very partial to the blue oval but after driving that car around for awhile makes me wanna jump on the other side of the fence. :cool:

tliss
05-16-2006, 12:02 PM
He rags on American cars pretty bad. The only question to ask is "what was the last car that was worth a crap that came out of jolly-old England?" I don't think there ever was one. English cars blow...

Tom

WA 2 FST
05-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Actually the guy is a bit off on the daily driver aspect.... My friend has one and I actually kept it for a day and the ride is what you expect from a vette or any other 2-seater sports car for that matter. It just cruises along like a stocker and it shows "almost" no signs of its bite until you stomp it.... I got it to around 55mph in first gear... He says It'll do 70.....I have to say I'm very partial to the blue oval but after driving that car around for awhile makes me wanna jump on the other side of the fence. :cool:

The guy is _way off_ on the daily driver issue, at least as it compares to what American-born auto enthusiasts can handle. Like you said... any sport-tuned 2-seater is going to have some times when the ride is a bit rough. I'd live with a spine-buckling ride if the performance is up to snuff... oh, wait... I do that anyway. :)

StormShadow
05-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Ford GT vs 06 C6

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/ford+gt/1/FCD20ABF-DC8D-49DE-A946-BECE142531CB.htm

WA 2 FST
05-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Video quality and editing was poor, but the winner is clear from an acceleration standpoint... Z06. Granted it had an intake and a tune. Do the same for the GT, and it would be a different race, I suppose.

Still... one can be had for 80-90K FMV, the other is over 200K FMV (and has more mechanical problems).

Silver_2000
05-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Video quality and editing was poor, but the winner is clear from an acceleration standpoint... Z06. Granted it had an intake and a tune. Do the same for the GT, and it would be a different race, I suppose.

Still... one can be had for 80-90K FMV, the other is over 200K FMV (and has more mechanical problems).

Seems the GT lost position on the shifts every time - Is the GT driver "working it " as hard as possible ?

Here is another poor internet video of a GT with twin tubos and supposedly has 832 hp -

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/ford+gt/1/304D8705-507A-4912-8D38-49D7E1B5BC7C.htm

He redlights twice runs a 12.7 then an 11.7 - Which is the REAL time the car was capable of ? In my opinion neither ... Its the internet - it means nothing because there is no context

Moonshine
05-17-2006, 11:29 AM
The only question to ask is "what was the last car that was worth a crap that came out of jolly-old England?" I don't think there ever was one. English cars blow...

Tom

Aston Martin's? Never owned one, never driven one, only seen a few in person, but they sure do make me wet. :banana:

Silver_2000
05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Aston Martin's? Never owned one, never driven one, only seen a few in person, but they sure do make me wet. :banana:

Had to quote this .....

tliss
05-17-2006, 12:12 PM

OK, I stand corrected. But does jolly old England make any decent performance cars for the "common man"? If I pay $150,000 for any car I expect it to make Brian wet. :d

Tom

WA 2 FST
05-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Seems the GT lost position on the shifts every time - Is the GT driver "working it " as hard as possible ?

Here is another poor internet video of a GT with twin tubos and supposedly has 832 hp -

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/ford+gt/1/304D8705-507A-4912-8D38-49D7E1B5BC7C.htm

He redlights twice runs a 12.7 then an 11.7 - Which is the REAL time the car was capable of ? In my opinion neither ... Its the internet - it means nothing because there is no context

A stock Ford GT with an average driver will run mid-11s @ 125-128mph.

I saw the same thing as you Doug on the Z06 vs. GT vid. But once they got into high(er) gear, the Z06 pulled pretty well on the GT.

dboat
05-17-2006, 12:45 PM
If I pay $150,000 for any car I expect it to make Brian wet. :d Tom

Not only do I expect it to make Brian wet, I would expect it to make any female passenger that was with me in it wet too. :evil

Dana

StormShadow
05-17-2006, 01:43 PM
A stock Ford GT with an average driver will run mid-11s @ 125-128mph.

I saw the same thing as you Doug on the Z06 vs. GT vid. But once they got into high(er) gear, the Z06 pulled pretty well on the GT.

I've heard that about the GT but I've seen a stock Z06 run 11.6 in the 1/4.