PDA

View Full Version : Complaints about 10% Ethanol

Beaudee
05-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Anyone been trying the ethanol gas yet.I filled up my work car today and noticed for the 1st time all pumps said may contain 10% ethanol.Saw on the news that several people been having water in the gas problems.The alcohol lets the water mix with the gas instead of settling @ the bottom of the tank like the old gas.I think the stations should be required to have water seperators installed.Anyway,was just wondering if anyone here has been using the ethanol and noticed anything different.

WA 2 FST
05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Here in Collin County, every pump I've seen has the "may contain 10% ethanol" sticker. So I've been using it for almost 2 months now. No issues, except I have seen a 5-10% drop in fuel mileage. All my vehicles are running fine, though.

keynan
05-22-2006, 06:08 PM
The ethanol will lower the mphI think because it burns faster. The ethanol purges the water, dust basically cleans the tanks.Gas stations are requried to instal ethanol fuel filters, and are also supposed to change the filters out every month or so.

SILVER2000SVT
05-22-2006, 06:20 PM
I would just be happy if I could find a gas station that isn't out. I stopped at three different gas stations this evening where each were missing at least 2 grades of gas. What's going on around here?

keynan
05-22-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not real sure there is a murphy usa that has prem at $2.87 or so. it's off of 820 and clifford st.

Silver_2000
05-22-2006, 07:59 PM
go 70 miles south of dallas and you can save ~40 cents a gallon on gas ..

Bought Premium for 2.79

WA 2 FST
05-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Have you worked the math on that to see if its worth it, Doug? ;)

Stuck up here in the NE suburbs, its expensive no matter where I shop.

wesman
05-22-2006, 08:19 PM
It's on all the pumps around here in S. Arlington as well. I haven't noticed a difference so far, but MPG is not something that I track real closely as it's not consistent in any car but the FX.

I need gas for the boat, so we'll see how the 2-stroke engines handles it :vomit:

--wes

RUNVS
05-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Houston has been on the ethanol fuels for some time now. My truck has better throttle response and a little more zip to it with the ethanol gas, but MPG is down about 1.5 MPG.

Premium runs about $3.09 a gallon here.

Tex Arcana
05-22-2006, 11:13 PM
The last time I filled up, I recorded 14.5mpg, which lately is an improvement over the 13.xx I've been getting--and this was after a full weekend of autocross driving school and autcrossing, with a fair amount of WOT blasts. Kinda surprising, really.

RUNVS
05-22-2006, 11:21 PM
I got 90 miles out of 8 gallons of 10% ethanol gas. That same 8 gallons of the old MTBE gas would take me 105-110 miles. :flaming:

my2002lightning
05-23-2006, 03:32 AM
Same here. No problems.

Here in Collin County, every pump I've seen has the "may contain 10% ethanol" sticker. So I've been using it for almost 2 months now. No issues, except I have seen a 5-10% drop in fuel mileage. All my vehicles are running fine, though.

Silver_2000
05-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Have you worked the math on that to see if its worth it, Doug? ;)

Stuck up here in the NE suburbs, its expensive no matter where I shop.

120 mile round trip would NOT be worth it

What I dont undertsand is didnt Bush approve suspension of the Summer blends ?? Shoudlnt that even out the prices ??

SILVER2000SVT
05-23-2006, 07:57 AM

What I dont undertsand is didnt Bush approve suspension of the Summer blends ?? Shoudlnt that even out the prices ??

Also the price of oil dropped back below $70/barrel but the price of gasoline didn't budge from what it was when oil rose to at $75/barrel.

Tex Arcana
05-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Not really, becasue the summer blend is more important than the so-called additives. If you don't change out the winter blend, you will see problems with vapor lock and possible detonation--remember that summer blends are meant to control the vaporization rate by the addition of paraffins to the fuel.

Tex Arcana
05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Also the price of oil dropped back below $70/barrel but the price of gasoline didn't budge from what it was when oil rose to at $75/barrel.

And there is doubt that the oil corporations are gouging??? :flaming::flaming:

BC Lightning
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
It says 10% ethanol on every gas station I've seen, and I just noticed on my 55 gallon drum of 104 that it also has ethanol in it

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/PICT2513.jpg

Mark #2
05-27-2006, 08:40 PM
This is going to sound very strange, but has anyone noticed a different exhaust note with ethanol?

I thought I did but figured that I was just going deaf with the exhaust that I have, so I didn't post, it seemed to be quieter.

Rare occasion as the SO wanted to take the toy truck(L) versus the real truck(K5) or her car to dinner tonight.

She said what did you do to the exhaust it sounds better, not as near as loud.:confused:

dboat
05-27-2006, 08:50 PM
This is going to sound very strange, but has anyone noticed a different exhaust note with ethanol?

I thought I did but figured that I was just going deaf with the exhaust that I have, so I didn't post, it seemed to be quieter.

Rare occasion as the SO wanted to take the toy truck(L) versus the real truck(K5) or her car to dinner tonight.

She said what did you do to the exhaust it sounds better, not as near as loud.:confused:

Geesh Mark, you've made the SO ride in the truck long enough that she is going deaf too!!!

Dana

Mark #2
05-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Geesh Mark, you've made the SO ride in the truck long enough that she is going deaf too!!!

Dana

I swear that I should post, dboat will say this after my post, I expected this one too, really.

Thanks for the ticket offer also, but we can't go family commitment.

But anyone else notice an exhaust note difference?

dboat
05-28-2006, 05:38 AM
I swear that I should post, dboat will say this after my post, I expected this one too, really. :evil

Thanks for the ticket offer also, but we can't go family commitment.
:( :(

we would have had a great time.. your SO and I would have talked about physician practice management, then you and my wife would have complained about us talking about work. Then we would have talked about what a great race, then you and I would have talked about all the fantastic strange there is at a F1 race:nana2 ..

Dana