PDA

View Full Version : Which mobile phone?

L8 APEX
10-28-2002, 04:49 PM
I am looking at a new cell phone and figured some of you technical types knew more about them. One thing I have found is each service provider carries some phones only manufactured for them. I may go with T Mobile service for the good rates 50 bucks for 3K anytimie minutes. I average 2400-2800 minutes a month 2200 are daytime. Anyway, the phones I noticed are Siemens S46 (www.siemenswireless.com) It looks rugged and is dual mode TDMA and GSM. But it is AT&T service The other is the Sony-Ericsson T68i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.jsp?page=T68i_Explore&B=ie&PID=9932&LM=PSM_V&gal=105) it has color screen, Bluetooth compatible, can take pictures etc..... It is GSM only so coverage area is less while they expand. Thay also make a T68 which does less. TIA:tu:

Todd
10-28-2002, 08:51 PM
I think you can use any phone with T Mobile. I think they are the only company that will do that. But I could be wrong.

jcblack
10-28-2002, 09:01 PM
You cant use any phone with T-Mobile. That is what i have and T-mobile has a sim card that only fits in certain phones. You have to use what they offer.

blueoval01
10-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Hummm, well Terry I think it really depends on who your trying to impress here. I like the Sony-Ericsson because Bluetooth is just way cool. :tu:

But, if it's the ladies at Hooters your trying to impress, I'd skip the phone payments and get the penis enlargement ......... LMFAO

:banana:

L8 APEX
10-28-2002, 09:30 PM
Or maybe it just has to be SIM card capable? I don't know though I don't think those little Samsung tMobile phones hold a SIM card? I have a buddy that sells AT&T I will see what he can hook up also.

jcblack
10-29-2002, 12:35 AM
if it is a t-mobile phone, it holds a sim card

98Cobra
10-29-2002, 01:07 AM
All phones that operate on GSM standard use SIM cards. I have T-Mobile, and despite what you may hear from others, its actually not bad service, IMO. My gripes:

- Nokia 8290 phone I have: it sucks. this is my 3rd or fourth unit in a year, because this model has a problem with the display going out. This is a Nokia problem, not a T-Mobile problem.

- Reception inside certain buildings can suck pretty bad sometimes. Also like you noted, GSM isnt as big here yet, but growing incredibly fast.

The goods:

- I have th 3K minute plan too - all you can eat rocks.
- Customer service has always been nice on the couple of occasions I have had to call, and actually been able to answer my questions.
- No billing problems like I had with other carriers, and I pay my bill online.

Hope that helps...

OneRedTXBolt
10-29-2002, 08:12 PM
Terry,

Not sure if they are still offering it, but AT&T mLife was offering UNLIMITED (Yes, that's right, UNLIMITED) Anytime minutes for $99.00 a month. That includes long distance, etc.

Who would've ever thought of an unlimited minute plan would exist? You could sign up for 1 or 2 years with that plan guaranteed.

I believe AT&T is just starting to expand into the GSM network and wanted to gain a bunch of customers quick. This was about a month ago, so not sure if it's still offered.

Wht95Lightning
10-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Stay away from Sprint PCS :nono:

Two phones here, my business cell which is a sprint pcs and I hate it with a passion! Sanyo phone is tough as nails but Sprint service sucks.

2nd phone is a Nokia 5560 or something like that, solid phone but few features, just basic phone. It's on AT&T and their service has been outstanding. Great coverage area too.