PDA

View Full Version : Boost dump?

QDRHRSE
05-27-2006, 05:56 PM
What does boost dump feel like? I get a strange surge at the 1/8th mile mark. It almost feels like everything shuts off for a .10 of .10 of a second and then goes again. After I put a 6lb ring on it's got a little worse. Last night, I had to run some errands and got to hit the open highway for a while. If I floored it at highway speed [70-80] it would sort of surge as soon as it started to reach full boost. It was pretty cold last night. I'm wondering if it is boost dump or an electrical problem. No detonation, no check engine light. I read some old posts and in one of them Terry said to unplug something on the drivers side by the egr valve. I unplugged it and I did not have the problem this morning but I only got on it once. Anybody have any ideas? I'm so close to getting my pile running right that it's killing me.

QDRHRSE
05-27-2006, 09:32 PM
...it's not boost dump. I guess I'l check the plugs next.

dboat
05-28-2006, 05:38 AM
...it's not boost dump. I guess I'l check the plugs next.

didnt sound like boost dump.. is the iac clean?
Dana

QDRHRSE
05-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I'll check just for the heck of it. I'm thinking that its a spark problem. It's possible that when my motor went in they didn't gap the plugs right + Ford lost 3 coil pack screws.....which they gave me after. It might be a loose coil pack as well. I never bothered to put them in. I'm installing a ported blower this week so I will check everything. I have really been short on time lately. My wife has been really riding me to get things done around the house before the kid is born.

dboat
05-28-2006, 10:18 AM
I'll check just for the heck of it. I'm thinking that its a spark problem. It's possible that when my motor went in they didn't gap the plugs right + Ford lost 3 coil pack screws.....which they gave me after. It might be a loose coil pack as well. I never bothered to put them in. I'm installing a ported blower this week so I will check everything. I have really been short on time lately. My wife has been really riding me to get things done around the house before the kid is born.

These other things could be it too.. get after it:evil
Dana

Tex Arcana
05-30-2006, 11:31 PM
If I understand things correctly, "boost dump" is the boost bypass valve opening, which is during cruising operations (tooling around at 30mph, or at 70 on the highway); during deceleration; or during shifting, when the bypass occurs along with injector cuts (where the ECU will cut fuel to 4 cylinders) to reduce torque thru the transmission. Necessary, in my mind.

Now, what you describe sounds more like what Terry has said before is the lockup clutch kicking in, esp. if it happens about 2500 or so RPM. You may have yours set up to kick in sooner (Terry has said before that he will tune in a lower engagement RPM to take advantage of the torque of the motor, and minimize loss thru the torque converter).

Keep us posted, tho.

QDRHRSE
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
It's an ignition problem I think. I know its not the converter locking up. I hate to admit it but I don't remember what we gapped the plugs at and I'm missing 3 coil pack bolts. We couldn't find them when the motor went in....I have new ones. I hardly ever drive the truck and it goes inside when we have bad weather. I am doing a lot of work on the truck this week so everything will be checked. I'm trying to get everything ready for an event in two weeks.

99WhiteBeast
06-01-2006, 12:25 PM
It's an ignition problem I think. I know its not the converter locking up. I hate to admit it but I don't remember what we gapped the plugs at and I'm missing 3 coil pack bolts. We couldn't find them when the motor went in....I have new ones. I hardly ever drive the truck and it goes inside when we have bad weather. I am doing a lot of work on the truck this week so everything will be checked. I'm trying to get everything ready for an event in two weeks.

Get these if you plan on doing frequent plug changes- saves a good 15 to 30 min on a plug change
http://www.madenterprise.com/F150.htm
(look for coil pack screws)

BC Lightning
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Get these if you plan on doing frequent plug changes- saves a good 15 to 30 min on a plug change
http://www.madenterprise.com/F150.htm
(look for coil pack screws)

The coil pack screws are worth every penny, I had to get some or Jeff and Steve-o would never change my plugs again :hammer: :beer:

QDRHRSE
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Problem solved. The thermostat housing was leaking and water was getting into the #5 sparkplug hole. No more leak- no more problem. I'm on fire this weekend.

Tex Arcana
06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Problem solved. The thermostat housing was leaking and water was getting into the #5 sparkplug hole. No more leak- no more problem. I'm on fire this weekend.

Pics, stat.

Tex Arcana
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
pics, stat

QDRHRSE
06-04-2006, 11:40 PM
The truck is @ my friends place. I'll try to get some pics during the week.