Install 4.10's
Install 2600 rpm converter
Install FTVB
Install catless mids
Install gauges: boost, trans temp, FP, AEM wideband
Install Moroso trans pan
Install ported eaton
Finsh nitrous wiring

We are then going to carefully drive the truck around, data log, and get it to run as well as we can with a predator.

Any estimates as to how much potential et gain I can expect with all this stuff? BTW- I will be on slicks for sure. We would like to have the first 12 second eaton powered non-nitrous L at my local track. You guys are probably thinking that 12's are no problem but you have never run @ LACR. Last week 2 of the other local Lighting guys couldn't get better than 1.9 60ft's with slicks and traction bars. One of the guys just dynoed @ 427RWHP and the other guy, who I know well, goes 12's at the other local track which is sea level but 120 miles away. Our track prep is the worst ever and we are @ high elevation in the desert.....it's hot. Anyway, I'm looking for words of encouragement!

Sixpipes
06-01-2006, 08:39 AM
I think the only way we could possibly guess on a time would be to let us know what your times have been previous to the mods. ETs are all relative when compared to the track & conditions. You might want to take a look at our ET section to get comparable times for your mods for tracks in the DFW area. :cool:

wesman
06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
You can expect a long week of installing stuff. :rll:

Hard to say on your ET's without knowledge of your previous runs with your old setup at that particular track.

--wes

QDRHRSE
06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Those are good points. I guess what I'm curious about is how much more ET would be reasonable to expect from the gears, converter and slicks. My current tune is way off so I have not made a good pass yet. To be totally honest, my truck was faster when it was almost stock....a BA2400, EXCAL2, JLP ram air, Metco's and 6lb pulley (up from 4lb) were worth a .3 gain in ET. I hope that it's my mailorder tune thats's making me run so bad. We'll see I guess.

Sixpipes
06-01-2006, 01:31 PM
This week I am installing a lot of stuff. Here's a list of what's getting done:

Install 4.10's
Install FTVB
Install catless mids
Install Moroso trans pan
Install ported eaton
Finsh nitrous wiring

We are then going to carefully drive the truck around, data log, and get it to run as well as we can with a predator.

Any estimates as to how much potential et gain I can expect with all this stuff? BTW- I will be on slicks for sure. We would like to have the first 12 second eaton powered non-nitrous L at my local track. You guys are probably thinking that 12's are no problem but you have never run @ LACR. Last week 2 of the other local Lighting guys couldn't get better than 1.9 60ft's with slicks and traction bars. One of the guys just dynoed @ 427RWHP and the other guy, who I know well, goes 12's at the other local track which is sea level but 120 miles away. Our track prep is the worst ever and we are @ high elevation in the desert.....it's hot. Anyway, I'm looking for words of encouragement!

As you probably know by now, it's all about the tune. That and the ported Eaton (if done right) are your biggest gainers. The other stuff is minimal together. I would estimate maybe 1.5 seconds from stock with all that stuff, but that's just a wild-a$$ guess. :D

03LightningRocks
06-01-2006, 01:35 PM
This week I am installing a lot of stuff. Here's a list of what's getting done:

Install 4.10's-
Install FTVB
Install catless mids
Install Moroso trans pan
Install ported eaton
Finsh nitrous wiring

Everything remaining the same with the rest of your truck.....maybe 2-3 tenths.

One thing to remember, just like the Mustang you sold, the law of deminishing returns kicks in on race mods.

Rocks:beer:

QDRHRSE
06-01-2006, 09:08 PM
I know Rocks. I bought all this stuff a while back and it's just been sitting. I figured it was worth more to me installed then sitting on the shelf in the garage. I've probably said this before- I'm a better shopper than a mechanic. I have a tendancy to buy stuff and hoard it. For once I'm going to make use of all my crappola.

QDRHRSE
06-03-2006, 05:09 PM
.....everything but the gauges and blower are installed. I cannot believe how loud the truck is without cats. People have warned me but its more than I expected. Thankfully my stereo system is loud enough to overcome it.

I haven't been able to get the tune end of things fixed yet and I was wondering @ what rpm in OD am I going 80. I was tooling down the freeway @ 3000 and it seemed like I was putting. Any idea how fast that is? The 4.10's feel a little steeper then I thought they would.

The converter is cool. It really stalls to 2400-2600 like it should and it makes the truck feel a little bit like an old school muscle car. I like it. Because of the converter I can't feel the valve body unless I step on it. 3rd shifts pretty hard!

dboat
06-03-2006, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=QDRHRSE
I haven't been able to get the tune end of things fixed yet and I was wondering @ what rpm in OD am I going 80. I was tooling down the freeway @ 3000 and it seemed like I was putting. Any idea how fast that is? The 4.10's feel a little steeper then I thought they would. [/QUOTE]

Tom,
With my stock rearend, you are turning about 2500 rpm at 80 mph.. so with your 4.10's, 3000 sounds about right..
Dana

QDRHRSE
06-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Dana,

Did you get all that stuff I FedEx'd?

PoorSvtman
06-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Glad you like the Valve body:tu:

QDRHRSE
06-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Thanks again Mike. The truck is really starting to come together. I have to say, I've met some great people on TALON and NLOC.

dboat
06-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Dana,

Did you get all that stuff I FedEx'd?

Yes I did... I dropped you a note back.. can we talk again?
Dana

03LightningRocks
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
I almost questioned you on putting in the 4:10 gears, but figured you already realized how they would drive on the highway. It seems like it wines out too high when cruising. Maybe it's just somehing you have to get used to.

QDRHRSE
06-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Rocks, the 4.10's are a little steep but I'm still 2800 @ 80. It's not bad. The L is my last line vehicle so it wouldn't matter if it had 4.56's...I don't care. The noise from the catless mids is a bigger issue.

My buddy worked all night and threw on my ported blower, installed my wideband, cleaned my intercooler, and threw on my 90mm Ford MAF, pulled out/regapped my plugs and got the truck running better with the predator. The mailorder tunes that my SCT came with were way off. In 100+ degree heat my truck is a lot faster than it was before in the cold. It now smokes the sheit out of the tires at will. Before, after the traction bars, it pretty much only spun the tires on the brake. The tune is alot better and the A/F is 11.2:1 . There is still room for improvement but for now its a world better. We are hoping to see high 12's or low 13's (uncorrected) the next time out. I can't wait to see how it's gonna launch with the converter. It's gonna be sick.

QDRHRSE
06-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Went to the track with all the new stuff and I'm really happy. Depending on how you want to look at it I picked up between .8 and 1.2 seconds in ET. The truck is still a little off in terms of the tune, it's a little fat, but the results are great. My local track is @ 3000ft but typical air density is @ around 5000 ft. Last night the DA was 4500 ft but it was wicked windy.

When my truck was basically stock (Cat back, K & N, & 4 b'er) it ran a corrected 13.50 once and then ran corrected 13.70's. Then I added an excal2 with a mailorder tune, a jlp ram air, 6lb'er, sbtb, and an sct BA2400....plus some other minor chit. That was good for 13.90's. At the track it wouldn't really even spin the tires.

After the gears, stall, and 1 night of work the truck is in the 12.70's now. On ET streets I'm leaving on faster trucks that were on full slicks.... with 60 ft's in the 1.8's. Track prep was really poor and we weren't stalling the converter up either. Also, we ran 91 octane on very conservative timing. I really think that there is at least another .5 in it. I couldn't be happier. I really owe it all to my buddy Eric, 2000L on most Forums. He's an animal. Eric did all the tuning with the predator and all the work this time around.

03LightningRocks
06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow, it sounds like your getting it together. That is a darned good improvement. I had to look back at your first post to see what you had done to it. Somehow I had missed the ported eaton part of the equation. The improvement you got is pretty darned impressive....:nana2 .

By the way...you should post up your official times for the times list. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310

wesman
06-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Went to the track with all the new stuff and I'm really happy. Depending on how you want to look at it I picked up between .8 and 1.2 seconds in ET. The truck is still a little off in terms of the tune, it's a little fat, but the results are great. My local track is @ 3000ft but typical air density is @ around 5000 ft. Last night the DA was 4500 ft but it was wicked windy.

When my truck was basically stock (Cat back, K & N, & 4 b'er) it ran a corrected 13.50 once and then ran corrected 13.70's. Then I added an excal2 with a mailorder tune, a jlp ram air, 6lb'er, sbtb, and an sct BA2400....plus some other minor chit. That was good for 13.90's. At the track it wouldn't really even spin the tires.

After the gears, stall, and 1 night of work the truck is in the 12.70's now. On ET streets I'm leaving on faster trucks that were on full slicks.... with 60 ft's in the 1.8's. Track prep was really poor and we weren't stalling the converter up either. Also, we ran 91 octane on very conservative timing. I really think that there is at least another .5 in it. I couldn't be happier. I really owe it all to my buddy Eric, 2000L on most Forums. He's an animal. Eric did all the tuning with the predator and all the work this time around.

All this corrected, uncorrected, stuff is very confusing. I'm lost after reading the above, here's what I understood:

You ran 13.70's and a 13.50 stock (btw-anythign with a 4# pulley is nowhere near stock)
You added a tune, a 6#, a ram air, a MAF and a throttle body and went 13.90 ?? (You lost .2 to .4 depending on how you look at it, while adding more HP)
You added your latest mods and are now running 12.70's ( corrected or uncorrected? )

You're definitely getting there, get those 60's down to high 1.6, low 1.7 and you'll be at 12.50's

--wes

03LightningRocks
06-10-2006, 12:30 PM
I am not sure what you mean by corrected either.:confused: I just assumed you are referring to what you figure it would run at a lower elevation.

2000L
06-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Uncorrected= acutual time that was run

Corrected= is the time it would have run at sea-level

This tune was fairly conservitive on his truck. 91 octane pump gas, was seeing about 11.3 air fuel and 13 degree's of timing. Density altitude was 4500ft with approx. a 10 mph head wind. It has to be winter time at this track to see DA's that actually match the track altitude which isnt great anyway!

QDRHRSE
06-11-2006, 12:12 AM
I am not sure what you mean by corrected either.:confused: I just assumed you are referring to what you figure it would run at a lower elevation.

Right. We actually use a program that calculates a corrected ET based on altitude, barometric pressure, humidity, and temperature. I would have to drive a bit to a track that was sea level. With my wife expecting to deliver @ any time in the next month I'm not willing to do it right now. You guys are really spoilled with your good air. I've heard that Texas has some of the fastest tracks in the country.

wesman
06-11-2006, 12:19 AM
You guys are really spoilled with your good air. I've heard that Texas has some of the fastest tracks in the country.

lmfao......you've obviously never been to Texas.

I'd say the boys in the NE by far have the best ET friebdly tracks.

--wes

QDRHRSE
06-11-2006, 12:20 AM
You ran 13.70's and a 13.50 stock (btw-anythign with a 4# pulley is nowhere near stock)
You added a tune, a 6#, a ram air, a MAF and a throttle body and went 13.90 ?? (You lost .2 to .4 depending on how you look at it, while adding more HP)
You added your latest mods and are now running 12.70's ( corrected or uncorrected? )

You're definitely getting there, get those 60's down to high 1.6, low 1.7 and you'll be at 12.50's

--wes[/quote]

Yes. I added a bunch of crap and went slower. Boy was I pissed. I've changed my mind about the SCT being better than the Predator. If used carefully the Predator is really a much better tool. It has a lot more capabilities than the XCAL2. IMO the EXCAL2 is not much better or different than a switchchip. I should know I have both.

03LightningRocks
06-11-2006, 08:16 PM
lmfao......you've obviously never been to Texas.

I'd say the boys in the NE by far have the best ET friebdly tracks.

--wes

LOL........ Isn't that the truth.