PDA

View Full Version : 02 sensor code P0133

Silver_2000
06-02-2006, 03:54 PM
For inquiring minds

P0133Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response(Bank 1 Sensor 1)
Response time for heated oxygen sensor's voltage output to change from rich to lean, or from lean to rich, is 1 second or more during idling after engine is warmed up. (2 trip detection logic)
Ppen or short in heated oxygen sensor circuit
Heated oxygen sensor
Air induction system
Fuel pressure
Injector
Engine Control Unit

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0133-oxygen-sensor-circuit-slow-response-bank-1-sensor-1.php

P0133 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical Description

Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1, Sensor1)
What does that mean?

This involves the front oxygen sensor on the driver's side. This code indicates the engine air fuel ratio is not being adjusted by the oxygen sensor signal or the ECM as expected to do so, or not adjusted as often as expected to do so once the engine is warmed or under normal engine use.
Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.
Causes

A code P0133 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The oxygen sensor is faulty
The wiring to the sensor is broken / frayed
There is an exhaust leakPossible Solutions

The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
If the code comes back, the problem is more than likely the front driver's side oxygen sensor. You will likely wind up replacing it but you should also consider these possible solutions:

Check and fix any exhaust leaks
Check for wiring problems (shorted, frayed wires)
Check the frequency and amplitude of the oxygen sensor (advanced)
Check for a deteriorating / contaminated oxygen sensor, replace if necessary
Check for inlet air leaks
Check the MAF sensor for proper operation

http://www.svtlightnings.com/scantool/ford%20dtc%20codes.htm

Mark #2
06-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Well this inquiring mind, says thanks.;)
It has not returned the rest of today after being reset and doing 6 zero to 100 blasts to clean out the exhaust system.

Thanks to Doug I have lots of data after logging this afternoon. I have some interesting data and 5 gallons less gas, burned it in about 30 miles;)
I have found many posts that bank1 is the passenger side.:confused:
I trust that Doug is correct. If anyone knows anything different please post.

Once the headers are below the 1000 degrees that the EGT reads now, I am going after the exhaust leaks.

L8 APEX
06-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Banks are numbered according to cylinder one on the engine. Cylinder one on a Ford is passenger side. Chevy is driver side front.

Mark #2
06-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Banks are numbered according to cylinder one on the engine. Cylinder one on a Ford is passenger side. Chevy is driver side front.

So just to be overly redundant and totally anal.:)
Bank 1 is the passenger side correct?

Silver_2000
06-02-2006, 08:50 PM
So just to be overly redundant and totally anal.:)
Bank 1 is the passenger side correct?

LOL

http://www.actron.com/faq_detail.php?pid=16151&id=15

Bank 1 refers to the bank of cylinders containing Cylinder #1.
Sensor 1 refers to the O2 sensor closest to the exhaust manifold.
Sensor 2 refers the O2 sensor downstream of the catalytic converter.

random post on F150online

Standing in front of truck, looking toward the firewall:

Left Bank cylinders: 1,2, 3 ,4
Right Bank cylinders: 5,6,7,8

Mark #2
06-02-2006, 08:54 PM
LOL

http://www.actron.com/faq_detail.php?pid=16151&id=15

random post on F150online

Okay, but your earlier post said it was the drivers side:confused:

Silver_2000
06-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Okay, but your earlier post said it was the drivers side:confused:
thats why Im not a mechanic :evil:evil

Mark #2
06-02-2006, 09:05 PM
thats why Im not a mechanic :evil:evil

Doug thanks for the posts and "the tool", pulling the tires and fender liners now to check the headers and wiring.

Front of the truck 3 feet in the air, I need a lift.

Mark #2
06-06-2006, 06:07 PM
For anyone that cares, I haven't found anything wrong, probably just a piece of carbon on an O2.

Checking plugs tonight, and it is way too hot for this time of year.

Mark #2
06-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Well it threw two codes this morning.
P0133 and P0153 at the same time. I guess I am down to pulling the O2s this weekend.

P0133 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Slow Response (HO2S-11) The HEGO Monitor checks the HO2S Sensor frequency and amplitude. If during testing the frequency and amplitude were to fall below a calibrated limit, the test will fail. Contaminated HO2S sensor.
Exhaust leaks.
Shorted /open wiring.
Improper fueling.
MAF sensor.
Deteriorating HO2S sensor.
Inlet air leaks.
Access HO2S test results from the Generic OBD-II menu to verify DTC.
Wonder if the ethanol has any connection?

I haven't replaced the one 02 in the K5 in 18 years.

Tex Arcana
06-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Well it threw two codes this morning.
P0133 and P0153 at the same time. I guess I am down to pulling the O2s this weekend.

P0133 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Slow Response (HO2S-11) The HEGO Monitor checks the HO2S Sensor frequency and amplitude. If during testing the frequency and amplitude were to fall below a calibrated limit, the test will fail. Contaminated HO2S sensor.
Exhaust leaks.
Shorted /open wiring.
Improper fueling.
MAF sensor.
Deteriorating HO2S sensor.
Inlet air leaks.
Access HO2S test results from the Generic OBD-II menu to verify DTC.
Wonder if the ethanol has any connection?

I haven't replaced the one 02 in the K5 in 18 years.

I wouldn't think so, otherwise we'd be seeing a rash of those codes right about now. But the sensors definitely do NOT last forever, the one in your K5 notwithsatnding--hell, I'd say that thing is overdue.

There should be a testing procedure for them, try testing them and see where that leads you. Otherwise, I'd just say haul off an replace them.

Mark #2
09-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Well after a couple of months of only filling to a 1/4 tank with Walmart gas, just in case of a trip to Denton or Redline, and no codes. Today I fill up with the good Shell gas, check engine light comes on in 3 miles.

And what is improper fueling?

Doug, buy you lunch tomorrow?

Tex Arcana
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Well after a couple of months of only filling to a 1/4 tank with Walmart gas, just in case of a trip to Denton or Redline, and no codes. Today I fill up with the good Shell gas, check engine light comes on in 3 miles.

And what is improper fueling?

Doug, buy you lunch tomorrow?

Teaches ya to think that any gas is different. :rolleyes: j/k

What's the PO153 code mean? Are they related?

iirc, "improper fueling" is overfilling the fuel tank, which allegedly causes problems with the return line and the vapor return line. I can't really see how that could affect an oxy sensor, tho. :confused:

Mark #2
09-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Teaches ya to think that any gas is different. :rolleyes: j/k

What's the PO153 code mean? Are they related?

iirc, "improper fueling" is overfilling the fuel tank, which allegedly causes problems with the return line and the vapor return line. I can't really see how that could affect an oxy sensor, tho. :confused:

Yes, they are related one is pass side, one is drivers, O2 slow to respond.

Don't know either on the effect just listed as a cause and it happened when I filled it up for the first time in months, seems like a correlation to gas or tank filling to me.

Will reset tonight and see if the light comes on again.

Silver_2000
09-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Well the scanner is offically gone - Got the picket full of cash to prove it ...

Tex Arcana
09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, they are related one is pass side, one is drivers, O2 slow to respond.

Don't know either on the effect just listed as a cause and it happened when I filled it up for the first time in months, seems like a correlation to gas or tank filling to me.

Will reset tonight and see if the light comes on again.

You would think that a vapor-recovery problem (as a result of overfilling) would throw a separate code.

My gut still says it's a bad sensor.

Mark #2
02-06-2007, 03:28 PM

Update, changed the O2 sensors after TFC, truck has been fine using the 1/4 tank Walmart gas. Put a 1/2 tank of the Shell gas in this morning and the check engine light goes off in 3 miles.

Same codes O2 sensor slow to respond, both sides with new O2 sensors.
I will go back to Walmart gas after this tank and see what happens again.

I think that the Vpower gas burns differently, leaner because it is oxygenated?

Tex Arcana
02-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Update, changed the O2 sensors after TFC, truck has been fine using the 1/4 tank Walmart gas. Put a 1/2 tank of the Shell gas in this morning and the check engine light goes off in 3 miles.

Same codes O2 sensor slow to respond, both sides with new O2 sensors.
I will go back to Walmart gas after this tank and see what happens again.

I think that the Vpower gas burns differently, leaner because it is oxygenated?

Or, perhaps the particular Shell station waters down their gas; or maybe the gas you got was toward the bottom of the tank and full of water?

You realize there are only 6 fuel suppliers, and that most "company" stores don't buy "company" gas, don't you? So it's possible your Shell isn't exactly "Shell" brand, even if it came from a Shell store. And if the owner is a real cheat, you're not getting the quality you expect.

Next question: did you replace both sets of sensors, or just the front ones?

Given my fueling habits (lately, either Valero or Racetrack), you'd think I would have more problems--knock on wood. :tex

Mark #2
02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Replaced both front ones, the rears are turned off.

Tex Arcana
02-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Replaced both front ones, the rears are turned off.

Stock or aftermarket?

This is a poser, there's no real reason for this to be happening. :(

Mark #2
03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Okay, still open to suggestions.

Cats and exhaust are good according to Terry he had the exhaust off last week.

No air leaks, sprayed all the intake gaskets with brake clean, and propane them too no leaks found.

Must be an chip tune issue with ethanol gas?

L-Fever
03-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Cats and exhaust are good according to Terry he had the exhaust off last week.

No air leaks, sprayed all the intake gaskets with brake clean, and propane them too no leaks found.

Must be an chip tune issue with ethanol gas?

Time to drain the tank and refill with some race gas? Water/vapor left in gas tank?

L8 APEX
03-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Have you cleaned the MAF element with MAF cleaner? Usually a source of 174 171 codes. I have not seen the 133 code before. You can data log the forward o2's and see how fast or slow they are functioning. Normal functions flip rich and lean pretty quickly. Or see if one is lagging behind.

Sixpipes
03-02-2007, 10:59 PM

Swanson's revenge. :evil

Mark #2
03-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Time to drain the tank and refill with some race gas? Water/vapor left in gas tank?

I ran a 30 gallon barrel of VP116 through it at TFC and thought maybe this is what caused the issue, lead killed the O2s? Replaced them, same issue.

There must be an exhaust leak, vacuum recovery leak, or intake leak somewhere. Just can't find it.

Pulling the computer to clean up the contacts now, out of ideas.
This is pissing me off.

Truck runs and idles great, wideband A/F, fuel pressure and vacuum/boost is the same as it been for years. Data logging more tomorrow.
This is a 1 second delay error on a second drive time fault.
Might be my chip or gas related?

Any ideas are welcome.
Need to pass inspection soon.

I are an engineer, should be able to fiqure it out, but the DATA is not helping me.:(

Did I mention that this is pissing me off.;)

Mark #2
03-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Have you cleaned the MAF element with MAF cleaner? Usually a source of 174 171 codes. I have not seen the 133 code before. You can data log the forward o2's and see how fast or slow they are functioning. Normal functions flip rich and lean pretty quickly. Or see if one is lagging behind.

Cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner weeks ago.
Same codes.
Will log tomorrow.

Tex Arcana
03-02-2007, 11:08 PM

I wouldn't think that was the problem consistently, the water would eitehr fall to the bottom of the tank and be used up, or the alcohol in the fuel would bind it up.

I wonder if it's a positional problem: you know how some MAF sensors go nuts when you put them in the wrong place?? maybe the O2 sensors are in the "wrong place", and need to be clocked to a different position on the tubing??

Mark #2
03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't think that was the problem consistently, the water would eitehr fall to the bottom of the tank and be used up, or the alcohol in the fuel would bind it up.

I wonder if it's a positional problem: you know how some MAF sensors go nuts when you put them in the wrong place?? maybe the O2 sensors are in the "wrong place", and need to be clocked to a different position on the tubing??

O2 sensors have been in the same place in the Long tubes for years.
Rear sensors are turned off.

L-Fever
03-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Swanson's revenge. :evil

Dennis may be on to something here!

Ohmsby
03-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I say change the 02 sensor on that side and see what happens I realize that they are only a couple months old but who knows have you visually inspected the o2 sensor on that side

chasing gremlins is no fun

Sixpipes
03-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Dennis may be on to something here!

It amazes me that you haven't had issues with that chip before now. I would bet lunch at Bonedaddy's that an SCT Tuner will take care of the problem. :cool:

Tex Arcana
03-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I say change the 02 sensor on that side and see what happens I realize that they are only a couple months old but who knows have you visually inspected the o2 sensor on that side

chasing gremlins is no fun

John may be onto something here. Try swapping them left for right, and see if the code moves with 'em. :)

Mark #2
03-03-2007, 04:15 PM
John may be onto something here. Try swapping them left for right, and see if the code moves with 'em. :)
I only posted P0133, but I have P0153 too.

Tex Arcana
03-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I only posted P0133, but I have P0153 too.

:hammer: twerp. Make it harder for us, whydoncha?? :tongue:

Mark #2
03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, I treated the computer to the old Mil-spec pink pearl eraser and cleaned the board contacts. Put the chip back in and no codes for 4 drive cycles today. This is a first in months.

We'll see if it holds true?

Tex Arcana
03-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Well, I treated the computer to the old Mil-spec pink pearl eraser and cleaned the board contacts. Put the chip back in and no codes for 4 drive cycles today. This is a first in months.

We'll see if it holds true?

geebus, the ONE thing I didn't think of (yeah, it's one of them old copier tricks, too).

If it holds for a while, consider getting one of those white typewriter eraser pencils, the eraser material is small (thin) enough to get into tight spots, can be "sharpened" to a point or a flat to get into odd places, and is hard enough to get most crud off. :cool:

edit: screw that: i've got about ten of them left over from my copier days, I'll give ya one at the next GTG if you want it.

Mark #2
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
geebus, the ONE thing I didn't think of (yeah, it's one of them old copier tricks, too).

If it holds for a while, consider getting one of those white typewriter eraser pencils, the eraser material is small (thin) enough to get into tight spots, can be "sharpened" to a point or a flat to get into odd places, and is hard enough to get most crud off. :cool:

edit: screw that: i've got about ten of them left over from my copier days, I'll give ya one at the next GTG if you want it.

A Pink Pearl eraser is already "sharpened" and flat, with a mil spec hardness for this cleaning use.

No codes again today, new record for the past 6 months.

Mark #2
03-07-2007, 11:45 PM
After a dozen good driving cycles...fueled the truck today and it came back again after two, there has been some correlation to fueling.

Improper fueling is a cause, locking gas cap is bad?
The SOs Acura did a similar thing with a bad gas cap.

So to the attic to locate the original cap.
After inspecting them, maybe?

L8 APEX
03-08-2007, 12:16 AM
A leaky gas cap usually throws a evap system code. lean, rich, and response codes are tied to 02 data.

Tex Arcana
03-08-2007, 01:50 PM
After a dozen good driving cycles...fueled the truck today and it came back again after two, there has been some correlation to fueling.

Improper fueling is a cause, locking gas cap is bad?
The SOs Acura did a similar thing with a bad gas cap.

So to the attic to locate the original cap.
After inspecting them, maybe?

What fuel are you using? Given what Terry said, and with all the issues with e-10 going around, I wonder if the gasoline/ethanol ratio is varying widely enough to cause the system to freak out? I think I'd check those chip contacts again, as well, maybe a light touch of conductive grease (yes, I have some) to prevent any corrosion.

Mark #2
03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Gas cap didn't make any difference.
Walmart gas this time.

It smells rich, maybe a stuck injector?
Did I mention this is pissing me off?;)

Guess I'll see if I'm smarter than a 5th grader now, I'm not smarter than an F150.

dboat
03-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Gas cap didn't make any difference.
Walmart gas this time.

It smells rich, maybe a stuck injector?
Did I mention this is pissing me off?;)

Guess I'll see if I'm smarter than a 5th grader now, I'm not smarter than an F150.

Mark,
I know this would be pissing me off... isnt pissing you off?:evil

Mark #2
04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
It amazes me that you haven't had issues with that chip before now. I would bet lunch at Bonedaddy's that an SCT Tuner will take care of the problem. :cool:

Well I finally gave up on my favorite chip and loaded a SCT base tune for a KB from our best tuner.

It takes two drive cycles to throw a code so we will see. The truck is way more responsive on this base tune.

Richardson police said they heard me and stopped by....so I can't do a second drive cycle.

They sit next to my house in the morning to laser the school zone so they know where I live/sound and are sitting there now to catch the 30mph speeder at night.

Hopefully I will owe you and Terry lunch.

Mark #2
04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Okay the codes are gone.

I was convinced it wasn't the chip.
I was wrong, Terry base tune is close and it is a completely different running vehicle.

Could/should have come to you earlier, but wanted to be different and had a perceived advantage in my mind since I have been the fastest stock block for so long.

It is now obvious that I was at a severe disadvantage with the old chip.

Need to learn how to data log with the SCT and will over the next few weeks, but the wide band data logs is all I had before and they look good to me.:tu:

Thanks, now maybe I can pass inspection. :D

Mark #2
05-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Okay the codes are gone.

I was convinced it wasn't the chip.
I was wrong, Terry base tune is close and it is a completely different running vehicle.

Could/should have come to you earlier, but wanted to be different and had a perceived advantage in my mind since I have been the fastest stock block for so long.

It is now obvious that I was at a severe disadvantage with the old chip.

Need to learn how to data log with the SCT and will over the next few weeks, but the wide band data logs is all I had before and they look good to me.:tu:

Thanks, now maybe I can pass inspection. :D

No big news just a relief for me.
With modded trucks sometimes it is difficult to keep engine and transmission codes out of them

After a couple of drive cycles on the new tune.
I passed inspection.

"But what does that button do?"
Showed them.:D

Tex Arcana
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
No big news just a relief for me.
With modded trucks sometimes it is difficult to keep engine and transmission codes out of them

After a couple of drive cycles on the new tune.
I passed inspection.

"But what does that button do?"
Showed them.:D

How much did it cost to clean the sh!t stains out of the upholstery??

Mark #2
05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
How much did it cost to clean the sh!t stains out of the upholstery??

None, it is a line lock with me in the seat.

Just filled up the bays with smoke, workers were crying with laughter.:D

Manager was a little upset, came running out, but the only other customer was a hottie getting her oil changed, she was laughing too, he relaxed, and everyone resumed to hitting on her.;)