PDA

View Full Version : Loose Rear End

BlackLight
06-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Ok so I got the wheel studs back in after my little "incident" (see other thread) and got all the wheels back on again, lugs tightened. But now, I've noticed that ever since I got it back from Ford, the rear end feels really loose and the whole car shakes alot more than it used to. I took it to a Firestone place to see if they knoew what was wrong and the guy there drove it and felt the same looseness. It almost feels like when I change lanes or turn or slow down, the rear end keeps going in one direction just a little bit more than the rest of the truck. So I took it back home and I've got it up on jackstands with the wheels off trying to figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?

Mark #2
06-11-2006, 02:58 PM
No real ideas, but there isn't much to tighten.
Front two springs bolts.
Rear 4 shackle bolts
U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs.
I would just re-torque all of them.

dboat
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
With a loose rear end.. I would be careful about what parts of town you hang out at... :evil

sorry, I just couldnt resist it.. but Mark is right..

Dana

BlackLight
06-11-2006, 06:14 PM
With a loose rear end.. I would be careful about what parts of town you hang out at... :evil

sorry, I just couldnt resist it.. but Mark is right..

Dana
Haha yeah I knew thast would sound wrong the moment I posted it, I was just waiting for someone to say it.

Tex Arcana
06-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Ok so I got the wheel studs back in after my little "incident" (see other thread) and got all the wheels back on again, lugs tightened. But now, I've noticed that ever since I got it back from Ford, the rear end feels really loose and the whole car shakes alot more than it used to. I took it to a Firestone place to see if they knoew what was wrong and the guy there drove it and felt the same looseness. It almost feels like when I change lanes or turn or slow down, the rear end keeps going in one direction just a little bit more than the rest of the truck. So I took it back home and I've got it up on jackstands with the wheels off trying to figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?
Check your front sway bar links and bushings. If the sway bar breaks, gets loose, or the links mess up, that can make it feel like your rear end got loose. I think. That whole sway bar/under-oversteer thing is very counterintutive and makes my brain hurt. :(

BlackLight
06-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Check your front sway bar links and bushings. If the sway bar breaks, gets loose, or the links mess up, that can make it feel like your rear end got loose. I think. That whole sway bar/under-oversteer thing is very counterintutive and makes my brain hurt. :(

:tu: Thanks, I'll look at that. Haha I never woulda thought about that if you hadn't mentioned it.