PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam

dboat
06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
I read a pretty long thread about this stuff elsewhere.. anyone here use it? or recommend it? do you just put it in your gas tank or what?
Dana

sandpiperx
06-19-2006, 07:07 PM
I might have read the same info and also a good freind that runs a 700 hp grand national that I have known for 25 plus years swears by it. I have been using the stuff in my oil and fuel for about 2 months and no problems top speak of. I am getting ready to try the spray for cleaning up internal blower parts and intercooler. There are two types liquid in a metal bottle and a spray can version like you would use brake cleaner. hope this helps. mp.

Tex Arcana
06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I've heard of it as well, but I've never used it personally. I've talked (online) to those who've used it, and they say it works great. They say use the stuff in the can, not the spray, and be careful how you let it get sucked into the system. IIRC, there's a thread on NLOC on how to do it.

I saw one of the Speed car shows, where they tried some stuff called TerraClean (http://www.terraclean.net/news.htm), which is a tad more complicated than SeaFoam, but supposedly does the same thing; however, they did before and after dynos on two cars that showed a definite increase in power after using the stuff.

sandpiperx
06-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Tex Arcana noticed that you live in Frisco. We are pretty much neighbors . I live here in Aubrey right off 380. nice ride you have! I also have a black 2001 with 54000 on the odometer maybe I will see you around sometime. I seem to always end up shopping with the lovely Mrs.P. in Frisco. have a great day. MP.:tu:

Tex Arcana
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Tex Arcana noticed that you live in Frisco. We are pretty much neighbors . I live here in Aubrey right off 380. nice ride you have! I also have a black 2001 with 54000 on the odometer maybe I will see you around sometime. I seem to always end up shopping with the lovely Mrs.P. in Frisco. have a great day. MP.:tu:

Dammit, does it still say "Frisco" on this place?? I changed it like 17bazillion times already. :hammer: Dougie, yer software sucks! :tongue:

MP, I now live in McKinney, but come to think of it would be about the same distance from you as where I lived in Frisco. I've got a workshop going up, and there will be WWFB sessions in the offing, consider yourself invited in the near future. :tu: Bring the missus, as well, and my missus can commisserate with your missus about our automotive obsessions while we make MOAR POWAR!! :evil

sandpiperx
06-19-2006, 09:26 PM
That is very cool of you. Mrs. P. would love the chit chat. Life is good and I hope yours is to . Keep me posted I will always be lurking around. mp.

Silver_2000
06-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Dammit, does it still say "Frisco" on this place?? I changed it like 17bazillion times already. :hammer: Dougie, yer software sucks! :tongue:

MP, I now live in McKinney,

I continue to be amused by the ego maniacs that blame the software for thier inability to understand it...

Tex Arcana
06-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I continue to be amused by the ego maniacs that blame the software for thier inability to understand it...
Not even the software "engineers" themselves understand half of what goes on in software; how can anyone expect ordinary people to understand?? :hammer:

QDRHRSE
06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
I've tried Seafoam on my Cobra. I'm not 100% positive that it worked but it made a lot of smoke for a while. The Mustang guys swear by it. It doesn't as well when you put it in your oil or gas. The best way is to feed it into your PCV valve. The engine sucks it right in that way and you get immediate results.

SILVER2000SVT
06-20-2006, 08:29 AM
I've had a very positive experience with seafoam on my BMW. Most all late model BMW's have variable valve timing that is controlled by oil pressure pushing on a piston type mechanism. It's called the vanos unit and it is notorious for getting gummed up and not working properly. The major symptom is erratic idle when cold and poor emmisions. This is typically a $1200 repair just for one stupid little part. I tried putting the seafoam in the oil about a week before an oil change. It helped a lot even from the first day. It fixed about 90% of my problem. The oil looked like crap when I drained it, telling me it did it's job.

:tu:

rickgig
06-20-2006, 08:44 AM
I've been using it for some time now and I pull the brake booster line and feed it in there. I do about 1/3 of a bottle at a time and have done it more than once in a week.

If anyone has a better method I'd like to hear it.

sandpiperx
06-20-2006, 10:50 AM
I have also heard using the broke vac line to pull it in and have not tried it yet could you detail the way you have done it Rickgig. thanx

Tex Arcana
06-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I have also heard using the brake vac line to pull it in and have not tried it yet could you detail the way you have done it Rickgig. thanx

Yeah, I've heard that too. The key is to suck a combo of SeaFoam and air, and not solid seafoam--too much a chance of hydrolocking the motor that way. :(

Tex Arcana
06-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Where the heck do you get this stuff, and how much is it? I'd like to try it.

99WhiteBeast
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM

I saw it the other day at O'reily's on the counter by the cash register.

SILVER2000SVT
06-20-2006, 02:27 PM

I got mine at Oreillys for about $5 for 12 or 16 oz. In a metal can a little bigger than a drink can with a small screw on lid

rickgig
06-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I have also heard using the broke vac line to pull it in and have not tried it yet could you detail the way you have done it Rickgig. thanx

It's very simple... First I pull the line off the brake booster and then I stick a smaller vacuum line in it... and then I use a soft drink straw in the smaller line. While the motor is running I put the straw (and smaller vacuum line) into the bottle (or place about 1/3 of a can into a glass or cup) and gently let the vacuum suck it in... gradually.

I get my Seafoam at AutoZone.

sandpiperx
06-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Tex Arcana Yeah he's right On the Oreillys. I purchased mine at auto zone in little elm and they carry both liquid and spray. Right there on Eldorado and 423. hope this helps. mp.

sandpiperx
06-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanx Rickgig have a great day! Iwill try that asap and will post the results upon completion of the mission. Mp.

Mark #2
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Kind of a scary website, French engineered product?...but Renault is doing well so maybe.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%
>> NONE OF THE COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE RECOGNIZED AS CARCINOGENIC.
================================================== ===========================

Basically the same as the old moth ball treatment in the gas tank especially if you would do it with the new ethanol gas. :)

Seafoam is basically the same as Sta-bil, just FYI, if you want to suck that through the manifold.

Sta-bil
Chemical Name: Hydrotreated light naphthenic distillate solvent extract
CAS Registry Number: 064742-53-6
Synonyms: Naphthenic petroleum oil; Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light naphthenic; Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (mild) light naphthenic; Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (severe) light naphthenic; Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light naphthenic

So you are sucking mostly oil into your intake manifold, does it clean it... probably a little, is this a good thing, I don't know, depends how the oil residue drys and hardens in the manifold and on the intercooler. It will certainly smoke IMHO

sandpiperx
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
From all the research I have done. I also went to the same site I think as you. IT should move most all of the carbon through out the motor with out effecting metal, alum. seals. And with a little luck some of any oil build up on the intercooler supercharger, etc. I am planning on a 1000 to 1500 mile oil/filter change just to see how it looks and send a sample of it to the lab. I use at blackstone labs. they have been doing all my diesel work for years and I will get the straight scoop from them on whats there and what the oil is up to. and report back. Have a great day. mp.:tu:

04SVTRACING
06-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Where can you get this sea foam stuff? I have heard great things about it and have wanted to try it?

rickgig
06-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Where can you get this sea foam stuff? I have heard great things about it and have wanted to try it?

Several posts mention where to get it... AutoZone is where I get it.

dboat
06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Several posts mention where to get it... AutoZone is where I get it.

+1

QDRHRSE
06-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Autozone....pepboys....anywhere. It's a funky looking old school can.

Tex Arcana
06-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Kind of a scary website, French engineered product?...but Renault is doing well so maybe.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%
>> NONE OF THE COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE RECOGNIZED AS CARCINOGENIC.
================================================== ===========================

Basically the same as the old moth ball treatment in the gas tank especially if you would do it with the new ethanol gas. :)

Seafoam is basically the same as Sta-bil, just FYI, if you want to suck that through the manifold.

Sta-bil
Chemical Name: Hydrotreated light naphthenic distillate solvent extract
CAS Registry Number: 064742-53-6
Synonyms: Naphthenic petroleum oil; Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light naphthenic; Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (mild) light naphthenic; Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (severe) light naphthenic; Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light naphthenic

So you are sucking mostly oil into your intake manifold, does it clean it... probably a little, is this a good thing, I don't know, depends how the oil residue drys and hardens in the manifold and on the intercooler. It will certainly smoke IMHO

Well, certain oils are thin enough and "active" enough to be classed as solvents, so chances are this does exactly as advertised.

BTW, SeaFoam has been a staple in GM service centers for a LONG, long time, before it got out and into the hands of Ford types. :eek2:

QDRHRSE
06-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Well? We've been flapping our gums about this for a while, has anybody tried it on their L?

Tex Arcana
06-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Well? We've been flapping our gums about this for a while, has anybody tried it on their L?
I need to.

SILVER2000SVT
06-30-2006, 01:00 PM
I just put some into the crank case last night to help flush it out and I'll change the oil in a week or so. We'll see how nasty it looks.

Tex Arcana
06-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I just put some into the crank case last night to help flush it out and I'll change the oil in a week or so. We'll see how nasty it looks.
what, SeaFoam? And why run it *that* long? :confused:

tiffo60
06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
what, SeaFoam? And why run it *that* long? :confused:

i think i read somewhere you suppose to run it for like 500 miles

sandpiperx
06-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Just hit the 1000 mile mark getting ready to do a oil change. so far oil darkened up a little more. maybe some carbon release. I will send it to the lab and will show the results here when they arrive. The lab I use has been doing my oil work on my old 550 hp detroits for years and look forward to what they will say. I also have been running a half can on every 3rd or 4th fill up in my fuel with no problems that I have seen. I did receive my enterprise kit about 2 weeks ago and no oil at all in the intake areas. The lovely Mrs. P has giving me the tentative ok to go to hpp in lewisville for plug change, valve body install, predator tune on the dyno and maybe a pillar kit with some gauges. If I can keep her happy for the holiday weekend. I will let you all know on any updates I stumble on. Work has been super busy the last 2 weeks and can't get nothing done. seeee yaaaa. mp:tu:

Tex Arcana
07-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Just hit the 1000 mile mark getting ready to do a oil change. so far oil darkened up a little more. maybe some carbon release. I will send it to the lab and will show the results here when they arrive. The lab I use has been doing my oil work on my old 550 hp detroits for years and look forward to what they will say. I also have been running a half can on every 3rd or 4th fill up in my fuel with no problems that I have seen. I did receive my enterprise kit about 2 weeks ago and no oil at all in the intake areas. The lovely Mrs. P has giving me the tentative ok to go to hpp in lewisville for plug change, valve body install, predator tune on the dyno and maybe a pillar kit with some gauges. If I can keep her happy for the holiday weekend. I will let you all know on any updates I stumble on. Work has been super busy the last 2 weeks and can't get nothing done. seeee yaaaa. mp:tu:

Who do you use for your oil analysis? How often do you do it? I"ve used Blackstone once with my L, and I got a nice report on that.

"Enterprise kit"??? :confused:

While yer at it, will you get me that KB that's for sale?? :evil:

sandpiperx
07-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Hello, Tex arcana , I also use blackstone labs they are a great lab been using them about 10 years. On my detroits on every oil change on the L every 3rd time. They do give a great report and will take your calls and help with any questions that you need. Also the enterprise kit I was talking about is the pcv kit it kinda works as a reverse check valve for the driver and passenger side. so far working with no oil at all in the intake. www.lightning-enterprise.com Now on the KB that will have to wait until I shake your hand and you will have to say nice things to the lovely Mrs.P. I have enough trouble on mods with her right now. But life is good! have a great 4th to you and your family. mp

sandpiperx
07-01-2006, 11:40 PM
sorry double post

Tex Arcana
07-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Hello, Tex arcana , I also use blackstone labs they are a great lab been using them about 10 years. On my detroits on every oil change on the L every 3rd time. They do give a great report and will take your calls and help with any questions that you need. Also the enterprise kit I was talking about is the pcv kit it kinda works as a reverse check valve for the driver and passenger side. so far working with no oil at all in the intake. www.lightning-enterprise.com Now on the KB that will have to wait until I shake your hand and you will have to say nice things to the lovely Mrs.P. I have enough trouble on mods with her right now. But life is good! have a great 4th to you and your family. mp

That's a darned simple fix, actually. Their analysis of the way the PCV system works is spot-on, and I think I like their idea better. I've already made my fix, as found here. As for system operation, I like mine better, but theirs works too. :tu:

Dude, I'll say nice things to your Mrs. P all day long, if that'll help. Unfortunately, that won't work with *my* Mrs. P, because she's hella tougher when it comes to spending money--amazed I managed to blow my previous budjet as badly as I did. :eek2: I tried to pass that $2k KB past her last nite... I'm still pulling pieces of my ear out of the ear canal. :(

tiffo60
07-03-2006, 02:59 PM
i just seafomed the truck i bought 3 cans at orileys for about $7 a can and put one in the gas tank, one in the crank case, and 1/3 or so thru the vacuum line on the break booster(this was a chore keeping it running while it sucked it out of the can) we will see what effects it has, i'll leave it in there for about 500 or so miles and then change the oil

dboat
07-04-2006, 05:13 AM
i just seafomed the truck i bought 3 cans at orileys for about $7 a can and put one in the gas tank, one in the crank case, and 1/3 or so thru the vacuum line on the break booster(this was a chore keeping it running while it sucked it out of the can) we will see what effects it has, i'll leave it in there for about 500 or so miles and then change the oil

Supposedly, one of the biggest benefits is inducing the Seafoam into the vacuum system. Have you noticed any benefit so far?
Dana

tiffo60
07-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Supposedly, one of the biggest benefits is inducing the Seafoam into the vacuum system. Have you noticed any benefit so far?
Dana

none that i could tell, but my truck only has like 20k on the motor so it would probablly would be more beneficial for the higher milage cars

tiffo60
07-05-2006, 12:32 PM
i am noticing an improved idle, it doesnt do that notorious bump ever now and then anymore

Tex Arcana
07-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Dana
What I've been reading is that by vaporizing it into the intake via a vacuum hose (supposedly, Mazda's have a port *just* for this, but I have no confirmation of this), you get cleaning of built-up carbon in the intake, on the valves and pistons, and in the exhaust and O2 sensors. I've also been told that you're supposed to let it suck into the intake via a vacuum hose, until it stalls, then let it sit overnight (because at this point there is Seafoam sitting on the piston tops and coating the valves and such), so it can get full cleaning effect.

Someone else also says he thinks it's nothing more than oven cleaner, but doesn't have the guts to try that!! :rll:

Mark #2
07-05-2006, 09:40 PM
What I've been reading is that by vaporizing it into the intake via a vacuum hose (supposedly, Mazda's have a port *just* for this, but I have no confirmation of this), you get cleaning of built-up carbon in the intake, on the valves and pistons, and in the exhaust and O2 sensors. I've also been told that you're supposed to let it suck into the intake via a vacuum hose, until it stalls, then let it sit overnight (because at this point there is Seafoam sitting on the piston tops and coating the valves and such), so it can get full cleaning effect.

Someone else also says he thinks it's nothing more than oven cleaner, but doesn't have the guts to try that!! :rll:
It is NOT oven cleaner
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=18001004

It is Stabil, see previous post, not going in my block or intake, gas tank okay.

sandpiperx
07-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Well went back through that link you posted and it is definitely not oven cleaner and it's also not Stabil which from the same websit lists stabil having two parts, 95% of one and 5% percent trade secrets and Seafoam is a 3 part substance 1 part 40 to 60% 2nd part 25% to 35% and third part 10 to 20%. So the 2 products are very differant in chemical makeup and % of each component. But this is all a waste of time I will let you know exactly what its doing when MY lab results arrive from blackstone. Any and all people I have known to use it have never had any problems internally. But you know I am just some dude in aubrey with alaptop and a L and having a kick arss time. life is good. mp.:tu:

SILVER2000SVT
08-17-2006, 08:55 AM
I changed oil after running the seafoam in the crankcase for a couple of hundred miles.

These are only visual observations, so take it for what it's worth.
I run Mobile1 5W-20 and a M1 filter, I had about 4K miles when I did this oil change.

The oil I pulled out was some of the nastiest oil I've ever seen, I saved some in a jar in case someone wants to look. It's so dark that if you slosh the oil against the inside of the jar you can't see light through it with just the thin film on the inside of the glass. There were no particles or anything, just really really dark in color.

I would get it tested but that doesn't make sense now because it will show the seafoam in the mix. In hindsight I should have pulled a sample before I put the seafoam in and then pull a sample when I do my next oil change, oh well too late now.

I can say though that after a few hundred miles on the fresh oil change the oil on the dipstick has never looked clearer. I see this as a positive sign. It usually starts to darken up a little after several hundred miles.

rickgig
08-17-2006, 08:59 AM
You put a 1/3 of the can in the motor like it suggests on the label of did you go more?

tiffo60
08-17-2006, 09:03 AM
i put a can in the crank case, can in the gas tank, and about 1\3 thru the vacuum line

SILVER2000SVT
08-17-2006, 09:05 AM
You put a 1/3 of the can in the motor like it suggests on the label of did you go more?

It was close to that...Between 1/3 and 1/2 is what I used which is about right because we require almost 7 quarts of oil vs. 4-5 on the average car or truck.

Tex Arcana
08-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I changed oil after running the seafoam in the crankcase for a couple of hundred miles.

These are only visual observations, so take it for what it's worth.
I run Mobile1 5W-20 and a M1 filter, I had about 4K miles when I did this oil change.

The oil I pulled out was some of the nastiest oil I've ever seen, I saved some in a jar in case someone wants to look. It's so dark that if you slosh the oil against the inside of the jar you can't see light through it with just the thin film on the inside of the glass. There were no particles or anything, just really really dark in color.

I would get it tested but that doesn't make sense now because it will show the seafoam in the mix. In hindsight I should have pulled a sample before I put the seafoam in and then pull a sample when I do my next oil change, oh well too late now.

I can say though that after a few hundred miles on the fresh oil change the oil on the dipstick has never looked clearer. I see this as a positive sign. It usually starts to darken up a little after several hundred miles.

You gonna send it off to Blackstone Labs for an analysis?

Tex Arcana
08-17-2006, 02:21 PM
i put a can in the crank case, can in the gas tank, and about 1\3 thru the vacuum line
which line?

sandpiperx
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
:tu: Hey guy's i called blackstone labs on weds.8/16/2006 and they said they have the sample and will process asap. I also asked about the seafoam in the sample and was told it will make no differance they break the sample down complete and will email me the results I will post when they come. I had just over 1000 miles on mine when drained the oil and there was a big change like silver2000 said with his. So we'll see. Truck is running great... life is good..mp

sandpiperx
08-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Well my email came in today and It was a fantastic report. across the board at or mostly below average wear levels. So I called and asked if the would tell me if the seafoam had done it's job and was told great job. Motor and wear are better than average for the miles. (55000) The Tech recommends using the seafoam every 2 oil changes on the last 1000 miles like I did. We will look again at it next round to see any variables That might occur. What a deal! I am trying to figure out how to post this report for you all to see chime in If you know...The report breaks it down in to 20 differant metals and the wear on each. plus if any anti freeze ,fuel,water,insolubles, etc are in the oil and there % have a great day I am now ....mp:tu: knana

SILVER2000SVT
08-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Cool I might send mine off now, I was scared that the seafoam would throw off the chemical analysis.

sandpiperx
08-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Hope this works here it is. have a great day mp:tu: