PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Mav's?

QDRHRSE
06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey guys, what happened to the Mav's? I'm not really a basketball fan but we miss Shaq in LA so i was sort of rooting for the Heat. I am definitrely not an authority but it seemed to me like they shut Shaq down but lost 4 straight anyway. What happened? You guys were all excited and reporting game by game but after the loss it's been really quiet. Not many teams come back from 2 straight losses in opening games of the finals....much less win 4 straight. How do you boys feel about that? I'm a little bored here at work and I'm looking for trouble. Anybody?

tiffo60
06-22-2006, 12:49 PM
it could be blamed on the refs but we did also miss a ton of key shots, free throws ect. I think it all played a part in our loss

SILVER2000SVT
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I blame it on the idiot fans and the media for being so freaking cocky after winning the first two straight. Talk about bad Karma. All you heard on the radio and out of peoples mouths after the second win was how easy this was going to be and how they were going to sweep the Heat without hardly any effort. :nono:

tiffo60
06-22-2006, 01:00 PM
+1 and i heard on the radio earlier that they started making arrangements for the celebration parade early in the finals, that kind of falls into the dont count your chickens before they hatch category

StormShadow
06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Actually it's all my fault. The first two wins I watched TV with my Mavs Jersey on. The final in the 3rd game I had it on untill the last 6 minutes and took it off because I spilled beer on it. I forgot to wash it and it sat in the dirty clothes hamper the rest of the series, so it's all my fault that the Mavs lost.

tiffo60
06-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Actually it's all my fault. The first two wins I watched TV with my Mavs Jersey on. The final in the 3rd game I had it on untill the last 6 minutes and took it off because I spilled beer on it. I forgot to wash it and it sat in the dirty clothes hamper the rest of the series, so it's all my fault that the Mavs lost.

:nono: :hammer: :throw:

Tex Arcana
06-22-2006, 02:14 PM
I think it was a combination of things.

First, Mavs got cocky.

Second, refs/NBA didn't want a sweep; when the Mavs/fans/Cuban started b1tching LOUDLY about the bogus calls, the leauge decided the Heat were going to win. Gee, they did. :rolleyes:

Third, Mavs let themselves get rattled over this bogus call situation, and lost their edge. Of course, any normal peson would; but this was their undoing.

As much controversy that's been swirling around the NBS for the last 15 years over officiating and the duality in the rules, and the NBA let it get to a point where this was called into question??? I, for one, would NEVER bet on a basketball game, not when it was pretty much proven that the fix is in. The league had a perfect opportunity to fix that perception by just making sure the calls were fair; instead, they made it worse with calls that were so obviously bogus it's sickening. :vomit:

Ah, well. Thankfully, bogusball season is over. Now was can watch BArry "The Juiced" Bonds cheat his way into the home run title. :rolleyes:

dboat
06-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Say no to Barry Bonds.. say yes to NFL training camp opening up next month.. Go Cowboys!!!

Lyfisin
06-22-2006, 02:57 PM
I'll say no to Barry Bonds, yes to NFL training camp, but instead say, "Go Dolphins!"

On topic, I don't watch enough basketball to know how bad the refs are. I only watched a little of the series. A good friend of mine who is a basketball fan, but not necessarily a Mavs fan, also felt the officiating was poor. He feels that there is a set of rules for NBA players and then a different set for Dwyane Wade. I watched the first half of game 6 and what I saw was a lot of steals by Dallas that turned into good points. They lost a 14 point lead and then lost a 10 point lead. As tiffo60 said, they also missed a lot of shots. They were getting good looks but just weren't putting the ball through the hoop.

I definately know that refs "vision" of the rules can definately screw up a game. In the past, there were some baseball umpires who's vision of the strike zone was so bad that some of the strikes were unhittible they were so far outside. Anyway, that's my .02 which, in regard to basketball, probably isn't worth even that.

(Edit to fix formatting)

Mika
06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Kinda funny how nobody mentioned Dirk's crappy shooting as a contributing factor. He shot somewhere along the lines of 25-30% in the 4 losses. Down a stretch in game 6 he went 3 for 17.

Also odd how they weren't smart enough to drive to the hoop. When the Mavs were playing aggressively, they would be leading or be tied. After a certain point in every game that the Mavs lost, they started jump shooting, and started losing.

The refs=blah blah blah. Crappy officiating was rampant throughout the NBA playoffs. Mavs/Spurs was one of the crappiest series I have ever seen go down. But the Mavs beat the Spurs. They went on. That's life.

I'm not saying that all of you folks are bandwagon fans, but I've seen too huge of an influx of Mavs bumper stickers, fans, and "Go Mavs" painted on windshields to say that they're all hardcore fans. Meh, jump the wagon when they're winnin', hop off when they are losin'.

Mika

jcblack
06-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Combination of bad calls on the Mavs and bad shots by the Mavs. Don't get me wrong, D Wade is a hell of a player, but he did not get fouled that many times, especially the last foul at the end of game 5 that gave them the win. I think that Cuban pissed of the league so many time that they really did want the Mavs to lose. He is a great owner, but needs to keep quite. I still love the Mavs and will always be a fan. They are a young team and will be back next year. I know that the Heat wont. If there was only some way that we could ditch Van Horn and get Garnett, we would be unstoppable. Can't wait until next season.

Tex Arcana
06-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Combination of bad calls on the Mavs and bad shots by the Mavs. Don't get me wrong, D Wade is a hell of a player, but he did not get fouled that many times, especially the last foul at the end of game 5 that gave them the win. I think that Cuban pissed of the league so many time that they really did want the Mavs to lose. He is a great owner, but needs to keep quite. I still love the Mavs and will always be a fan. They are a young team and will be back next year. I know that the Heat wont. If there was only some way that we could ditch Van Horn and get Garnett, we would be unstoppable. Can't wait until next season.

Wouldn't it be a killer if they managed to pick Mourning back up again?? Where the HELL did he come from, speaking of?? He never stepped up like that when he played with the Mavs. :nono:

I think what I heard yesteday on Around The Horn was true: that the team fell back into Nellie-habits when they were pushed REALLY hard. And they did: perimeter shooting, not driving the lane, not creating fouls by driving the lane.

I think maybe this comes from Avery being a freshman coach, that the old fart just flat out-coached him. If they meet in the finals again, I think Avery will have a much better chances, because he will have finished molding this team into his own.

Speaking of, who should go, and who should stay?? I'll start:

Stay:
Dirk
Stackhouse
Terry
Diop

Go:
Van Horn
??? dunno who else

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

TP Derrick D
06-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Wouldn't it be a killer if they managed to pick Mourning back up again?? Where the HELL did he come from, speaking of?? He never stepped up like that when he played with the Mavs. :nono:

I think what I heard yesteday on Around The Horn was true: that the team fell back into Nellie-habits when they were pushed REALLY hard. And they did: perimeter shooting, not driving the lane, not creating fouls by driving the lane.

I think maybe this comes from Avery being a freshman coach, that the old fart just flat out-coached him. If they meet in the finals again, I think Avery will have a much better chances, because he will have finished molding this team into his own.

Speaking of, who should go, and who should stay?? I'll start:

Stay:
Dirk
Stackhouse
Terry
Diop

Go:
Van Horn
??? dunno who else

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Mourning never played with the Mavericks.

Shiner1
06-23-2006, 08:21 AM
I think the Mavs still need a better man in the middle. I thought Diop played pretty well but a bigger presence for sure. Drop Dampier and sign Ben Wallace. I'm not sure his game melds with the Mavs but they could use some of his D.

StormShadow
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Stay
Dirk
Terry
Howard
Harris
Stack
Diop
Damp
Griffin

Go
Van Horn
Marqueezy "catfish" Daniels

Add
Someone who drives to the hoop and finishes
Someone who can defend the pick and roll
A veteran with playoff experience AKA Big shot Rob or, as much as I hate him, Jon Barry

tiffo60
06-23-2006, 09:47 AM
i dont know alot about basketball but i think we would be unbeatable if we could get nash back

Tex Arcana
06-23-2006, 10:36 AM
i dont know alot about basketball but i think we would be unbeatable if we could get nash back

NO way. Terry is MUCH better, despite his shooting going to hell in the latter part of the series. His defense is better, and I think his ballhandling skills are better, and he's more durable.

Tex Arcana
06-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Mourning never played with the Mavericks.
Well, hell; isn't there someone on the Heat that played with the Mavs at one point?? :(

StormShadow
06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, hell; isn't there someone on the Heat that played with the Mavs at one point?? :(

Yea, Antoine "Babysteps" Walker AKA Bricklayer

Tex Arcana
06-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Yea, Antoine "Babysteps" Walker AKA Bricklayer
Didn't he throw down some amazing plays during the series?

jcblack
06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
I think that the team is fine, but in my opinion what would help the most is if Dirk learned to post up. Tim Duncan and Dirk are about the same height and build. If Duncan can score that much inside, than Dirk can too. He needs to train with "The Dream" for a little while and get some of his wisdom and he will be a major threat.

Tex Arcana
06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
I think that the team is fine, but in my opinion what would help the most is if Dirk learned to post up. Tim Duncan and Dirk are about the same height and build. If Duncan can score that much inside, than Dirk can too. He needs to train with "The Dream" for a little while and get some of his wisdom and he will be a major threat.

Dirk's not quite as hefty as Duncan is, but he can bulk up a bit and do exactly that. I just heard yesterday that Terry's at the end of his contract, they need to sew him up. Find a nice gorilla to play center that can actually shoot and make free throws, and we'll have a nigh-bulletproof team.

Shiner1
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM

Dirk is not a post-up player. He is more effective (when he is hitting) as a 12-14ft/3pt jump shooter. i don't think you can teach someone to be a good post-up player. They either are or arn't. Nelly tried to make Dirk play post 2 years ago....just didn't work. He'd be better off taking the ball to the basket more and using that 90+ % FT average.

BC Lightning
06-26-2006, 06:23 PM
The Mavs are by far the fastest team in the NBA, with Terry's speed to blow by defenders on a break away and ability to dunk over Shaq twice, and Harris is faster than Terry. His problem is that he is only 23 and still learning the game. His is 6'3" and trying to drive in on Shaq??? no chance. Dirk is one of the best players on the Mavs, but like last years playoffs, where is he when you need him? For a couple games yes he did put up impressive rebounding and assists, but when you shooting over 90%free throws and put up 50 against the Suns, you would expect him to be a greater factor against the Heat. What about Daniel's first shot in the series and sinking that 3pt shot, and those two critical lay ups. Double teaming Shaq was effective for two games, and at home, but it wont work a third time. Walker hit some great 3's cause the Mav's left him open to double on Shaq. D-Wade, he is just an awesome player!!! But when you are leading twice by 10+ points, no excuses. Although they were hurting for Stackhouse's 10-15 Pt's per game when he was suspended

When the Mavs stopped playing Mavs basketball, getting the steals, fast breaks, layups, driving to the basket and picking up the fouls, it was all over. They couldn't hit a field goal or 3 pointer in 4 straight games. They will keep pretty much the entire team together, as good as they were they still have a lot of growing to do. Like Avery said, "sometimes you have to go through this before you can win it."

BC Lightning
06-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Dirk's not quite as hefty as Duncan is, but he can bulk up a bit and do exactly that. I just heard yesterday that Terry's at the end of his contract, they need to sew him up. Find a nice gorilla to play center that can actually shoot and make free throws, and we'll have a nigh-bulletproof team.

They will keep Terry, as for centers, they had 3 7ft'ers. Dampier and Diop were in the top five for shot blocks,and Mbenga is a better player than both of them, he was just injured for most of the series. Mav's just didn't expect the Heat's bench to produce like they did, like Mourning and Payton coming off the bench and hitting their shots

Didn't he throw down some amazing plays during the series?
When they were double teaming Shaq

BC Lightning
06-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Another thing why is it that Stackhouse gets suspended for, yes a cheap shot, while they are playing, yet shaq deliberately hits Harris in the face with his elbow, after he is fouled by Harris for running up and grabbing his arm and no suspension, I am a Shaq fan, but it seems like he can get away with pretty much anything in a game.

Tex Arcana
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Another thing why is it that Stackhouse gets suspended for, yes a cheap shot, while they are playing, yet shaq deliberately hits Harris in the face with his elbow, after he is fouled by Harris for running up and grabbing his arm and no suspension, I am a Shaq fan, but it seems like he can get away with pretty much anything in a game.
Well, duh: the NBA double-standard, where the stars get one set of rules (Shaq-muggings and Michael Jordan-esqe multi-step travelling non-calls), and the grunts get the other set (the real rules of basketball). :vomit:

Mika
06-26-2006, 11:45 PM
What Dallas needs to do is find a real center. Someone who shoots better than 30%, and doesn't flop like a fish. Hell, Dirk can't even go to the basket without rolling his ankles on Timmy's feet. Also, there's a reason why they call him Irk...If Dallas had one *go to* guy, who could drive to the basket, it would have been a different series. If they stopped taking jumpshots, and kept going to the hoop, it would have been a different series. But, what's done is done. Now Avery has to find that one player and put it all together. It can be done, especially with as much talent that Dallas has. But will it? THAT'S the big question.Mika