PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded p0171 & p0174... need advice/technique

rickgig
06-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Trying to change hose... need advice (p0171)

I've searched and haven't found much help... I have the dreaded p0171 and the p0174 codes. From what I've read, the most likely cause is the vacuum line coming off the bottom of the intake manifold in the back. Problem is... there is no room to get my hand in there. I followed the PCV line from the passenger side and it appears the line is attached more on the driver’s side of the manifold.

I've moved a few things to the side and tried again and still can't get to the bottom of the line. Next step is to remove the SC but I would prefer not to. The line (hose) is definitely spongy and real soft which is what others experienced. Replacing it fixed their problems so I am assuming I'm on the right track.

Has anyone replaced this elbow before and if so, how the heck did you get to it?

My inspection is up this month and I need to get this fixed.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...ighlight=p0171 (http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...ighlight=p0171)

DWSmooth
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
As dumb as this sounds, it fixed my code problem. Try going to Ford and getting the PCV valve from them, reset the computer and see what happens.

I took mine in for the same 2 codes right before my warranty ended hoping to find out where the leak was coming from. They explained about the size of the opening in the Ford PCV vs. the Autozone PCV. I didn't buy it at first, but its been 4 months and 1K miles since with no codes?!

My .02

David

rickgig
06-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I hear ya but that hose is really soft and if oil gets into it like it does through the rest of the PCV system. I am sure the hose deteriorated from the inside out.

PUMP
06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Trouble shooting P0171 & P0172 DTC's

rickgig
06-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Done everything on the list except for the hose on the back of the intake manifold. Fuel filter was changed a couple of months ago, K&N air filter clean... I guess I could clean the MAF.

1BADTK
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I have small hands and arms, and can reach it. Find someone with a small build and let them do it.

Tex Arcana
06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Rick, I was able to get my hand back there to reroute my PCV system, so if you wanna bring the truck over, or have me come to you, I can do it. Email me or PM me, and we'll work it out.

rickgig
06-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Rick, I was able to get my hand back there to reroute my PCV system, so if you wanna bring the truck over, or have me come to you, I can do it. Email me or PM me, and we'll work it out.

Sounds good to me... PM on the way.

rickgig
09-11-2006, 07:43 AM
3 Months later and all is well!

Last week John (Tex Arcana) and I pulled off the SC in effort to get to the hose at the rear of the lower intake. That hose was nasty and certainly appeared to be the problem.

Cleaned the IC while we had it apart and it was soooo bad I am surprised the truck ran! A good bath in 2 gallons of super clean eventually did the trick.

Buttoned everything up and drove it for a few days. Got it inspected Saturday and it passed.

John... thanks for taking the time to help.

Tex Arcana
09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
3 Months later and all is well!

Last week John (Tex Arcana) and I pulled off the SC in effort to get to the hose at the rear of the lower intake. That hose was nasty and certainly appeared to be the problem.

Cleaned the IC while we had it apart and it was soooo bad I am surprised the truck ran! A good bath in 2 gallons of super clean eventually did the trick.

Buttoned everything up and drove it for a few days. Got it inspected Saturday and it passed.

John... thanks for taking the time to help.

Anytime, Rick... glad to help. Glad it all worked out as well.

I will say this: I think the upper plenum/blower interface was leaking as well, considering how warped the plenum's surface looked and the crap on the gasket in the vicinity of the warp. Chances are that was contributory.

Either way, :tu:. Looking forward to getting mine pulled and done in the next week or so.