PDA

View Full Version : who can tell me what it sounds like when a cat breaks apart ?

Silver_2000
06-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks

04SVTRACING
06-26-2006, 09:20 PM
You will hear an odd rattling noise coming from underneath your truck. Atleast thats whats mine did when I had my Mustang and they went out like every week.

tiffo60
06-26-2006, 09:35 PM
get a rubber mallet and bang on them and if you hear loose stuff in them then you have a busted cat

my2002lightning
06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but for a stretch my PR Wild Cat-Back (all 4 '02 stock cats still in place) rattled like crazy where I thought I had a loose plug and/or an exhaust leak on the driver-side.

With some fairly hard prolonged driving from DFW to HOU, it went away. Maybe some of the cat internals blew out. http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

It has been noticeably louder since the "rattling" went away.

Ronald

Thanks

ShockTherapy
06-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Here's a sound clip:

http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/play/port_lofi.cfm?sound_iid=29325

Silver_2000
06-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Here's a sound clip:

http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/play/port_lofi.cfm?sound_iid=29325

Close but no cigar.. :rll:

98Cobra
06-27-2006, 10:11 AM
This happened on my 2000. It sounds like rattling/clanging - the post about the rubber mallet is dead on

Silver_2000
06-27-2006, 10:26 AM
This happened on my 2000. It sounds like rattling/clanging - the post about the rubber mallet is dead on

Yeah - at first it sounded like a loose heat sheild - then it got louder and changed to sound like something woring in the tranny because it changed when I shifted - But I reached under and grabbed the exhaust the other day while it was running and there is definatly some rattling going on in the pass cat and the sound is in sync with the slight camming noise at idle ..

Now I just need to find the Magnaflow cat part number and someone with torch / welder to install
EDIT
Ok looks like I need part no 94306 - May as well get a pair ...

Since they lasted over 5 years on 2 trucks i have to wonder if the failure was Ethanol related

Tex Arcana
06-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah - at first it sounded like a loose heat sheild - then it got louder and changed to sound like something woring in the tranny because it changed when I shifted - But I reached under and grabbed the exhaust the other day while it was running and there is definatly some rattling going on in the pass cat and the sound is in sync with the slight camming noise at idle ..

Now I just need to find the Magnaflow cat part number and someone with torch / welder to install
EDIT
Ok looks like I need part no 94306 - May as well get a pair ...

Since they lasted over 5 years on 2 trucks i have to wonder if the failure was Ethanol related
To be honest, THAT is an emissions-related problem, and covered under warranty. I would see about taking it in and getting it replaced.

Silver_2000
06-28-2006, 08:02 AM
To be honest, THAT is an emissions-related problem, and covered under warranty. I would see about taking it in and getting it replaced.

You think that they will ignore the Long tubes and the magnaflow high flow cats and be pals and replace them ? Cool !!!:evil :evil

Tex Arcana
06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
You think that they will ignore the Long tubes and the magnaflow high flow cats and be pals and replace them ? Cool !!!:evil :evil
Egh.. probably not. :( Unless you're got a "friend" with a greenback in his palm. :evil

Mark #2
06-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Is that sarcastic or real?

If real then that would mean leaner or hotter?

Just curious with my recent O2 sensor issue that comes and goes. I
haven't changed them yet and the code sets about once a week.

Silver_2000
06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Is that sarcastic or real?

If real then that would mean leaner or hotter?

Just curious with my recent O2 sensor issue that comes and goes. I
haven't changed them yet and the code sets about once a week.

I dont know but I bet these have seen at least 60k miles if not more and they are just now breaking

microsuck
06-29-2006, 04:47 PM
MEOW!!!!
http://www.the-cats-meow.ca/drawer.gif