PDA

View Full Version : Jack me UP points?

sandpiperx
07-03-2006, 12:10 PM
ALL right good people need a little imput on Jack points on the L. it has been on the lift many times. But I need to do some of my own work on the truck and was wondering what is the best jack points for a 3 ton floor jack. Life is good but the lovely Mrs.P wants me to save on labor $ and get a wrenching on some of this stuff I want. mp :bows

SILVER2000SVT
07-03-2006, 12:48 PM
For the front I use the cross member under the engine and put the jack stands under the frame mounts for the A-arms.

For the rear it depends on what I'm working on, But I usually use the bottom of the differential or the receiver bracket and put the jack stands under the flat part of the frame rails (in front of the rear wheels) or on the axle itself.

PoorSvtman
07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
you can jack it up pretty much anywhere.... if you jack from the side try and keep the jack and jack stands as close to the tranny crossmemeber as possible ...

Tex Arcana
07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
I like jacking from the side, that way I can get both that side's front and rear wheels up at the same time. CAUTION, tho: I dind't get the pad set right, and I ahd the lower "C" part of the frame bend and knock over the jack. :(

Like this:
http://i6.tinypic.com/16k81mq.jpg

PoorSvtman
07-03-2006, 05:15 PM
tex did you have it as close to the tranny cross memeber as you could.. I know pretty much anything from the rear of the tranny cross memeber is weak and will bend...

Tex Arcana
07-03-2006, 05:36 PM
tex did you have it as close to the tranny cross memeber as you could.. I know pretty much anything from the rear of the tranny cross memeber is weak and will bend...
I was just forward of the point where the frame goes up to clear the rear axle, the point where if you jack it both ends will lift about evenly. As you see in the diagram, I mispositioned the jack saddle, and when the frame end bent, the kacl fell over. thankfully, nothing else got damaged. :eek2:

PoorSvtman
07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I was just forward of the point where the frame goes up to clear the rear axle, the point where if you jack it both ends will lift about evenly. As you see in the diagram, I mispositioned the jack saddle, and when the frame end bent, the kacl fell over. thankfully, nothing else got damaged. :eek2:

you realy dont want to jack or suspend the truck with jack stands at that point... i have 2 little dents from properly placing the jack stand under the truck.. if you put the jack right behind the tranny crossmemeber and put the jack stand in front of the crossmemeber or either way you will get the same results and less chance of bending the frame like you and i did..

Tex Arcana
07-03-2006, 09:57 PM
you realy dont want to jack or suspend the truck with jack stands at that point... i have 2 little dents from properly placing the jack stand under the truck.. if you put the jack right behind the tranny crossmemeber and put the jack stand in front of the crossmemeber or either way you will get the same results and less chance of bending the frame like you and i did..

I don't think that will lift one side at the same time, tho. :( When I put all four corners up on stands, it's usually the rear axle and the front crossmember points, or that one just behind the front edge of the doors. What I think I'm going to do is weld or bolt in a set of C-channels along the framerail to help reinforce it, just for jacking. I'm still working that out, but that's the initial idea.

PoorSvtman
07-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I don't think that will lift one side at the same time, tho. :(

It dose... trust me ive jacked my truck up in different ways when it was sitting in the garage and not able to move it around.. Kinda tricky getting it on 4 jackstands when you dont have alot of room in the front of the truck and a wall on the drivers side...

dboat
07-04-2006, 05:34 AM
I feel like such a noob on this one, but the last thing I would want to do is to bend my frame. It would be nice to have pics and make it a sticky or better yet post it up on SVTLightnings.com as a how to..
Dana