PDA

View Full Version : It might be time to say goodbye.

TXBLU
07-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, with the potential growth of the family (wife keeps talking about babies) and 100 pounds of Labrador Retriever, it looks like the L is just not big enough on the inside and I need to get something bigger. I would love to be able to afford a Cayenne Turbo, but it just ain't happenin'. I need an automatic transmission (for the wife), and a Ram SRT10 4 door won't fit in my garage, so that's out. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 looks like what I need for both size and performance. So, as soon as I get a good deal on an SRT8, I'll be putting the L up for sale if I don't trade it in.

If anyone has an idea of what a decent price is for a clean, lightly modded L, let me know what you think. I took it to Ennis once when it was stock, and it ran a 13.9 in the summer heat. Right now it it has a 6 lb. pulley, K&N air filter, MagnaFlow cat back exhaust, Terry-tuned Xcalibrator, an A-piilar guage pod (boost, oil press, & trans temp), Moroso tranny pan, EBC slotted and dimpled brake disks (front and rear) with EBC "Green Stuff" pads, Hard tonneau cover, a sprayed-in bed liner, 2" drop in back, and Infinity speakers in the stock holes, plus two 10" subs, and two 300+ watt Kicker amps. I also have a pair of spare used Goodyear F-1s, the stock pulley setup, the stock rear shackles, the stock exhaust, and a pair of traction bars (not on the truck now). I am the original owner, by the way.

I've seen the blue book prices for '02 Ls with 60,000 miles (mine has less than 59,000 on it) and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what these things were actually selling for. When I get a deal on an SRT done, I will officially put it up for sale.

By the way, this has been one of the coolest websites I have seen for any vehicle enthusiasts. Thanks to Doug and all the rest of you guys. This has been a blast!!!

Eric:burnout:

L8 APEX
07-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Logan just posted his purchase and said employee plus 0% for July only. True Blue is the rarest of the Gen2's. As ususal part it out and private sale works the best, trade in is the least hassle but usually costs about 2K more.

99WhiteBeast
07-09-2006, 10:13 AM
I would check on NLOC and see what similar trucks are going for. Hate to see you go Eric but I know how it goes. I sold my G1 back in March-didn't make much sense to have two trucks with 4 kids.

Let us know when you get the GC that should be a hellava grocery getter:tu:

Logan
07-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Big challenge with the Jeep SRT8's is just finding them! They were only 600 being produced for the 06 model year as it was a mid-year intro...

There's a dealer in New Orleans with 6 of them, but I was only able to find one that was fully loaded in the DFW area, and well... I bought it. The only other one I could find was a base Inferno Red one... :)

...and the Employee pricing ends on July 31st as they're only doing it to clear out the 06 stock... Who knows if they'll extend it, it was such a good deal since it includes the SRT's, couldn't pass it up...

Even if you do turn in a couple 2k upside down, you'll save 6k on the SRT... :)

Tatom Mack
07-09-2006, 12:03 PM
ss trailblazer ftw:nana2

dboat
07-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Big challenge with the Jeep SRT8's is just finding them! They were only 600 being produced for the 06 model year as it was a mid-year intro...

There's a dealer in New Orleans with 6 of them, but I was only able to find one that was fully loaded in the DFW area, and well... I bought it. The only other one I could find was a base Inferno Red one... :)

...and the Employee pricing ends on July 31st as they're only doing it to clear out the 06 stock... Who knows if they'll extend it, it was such a good deal since it includes the SRT's, couldn't pass it up...

Even if you do turn in a couple 2k upside down, you'll save 6k on the SRT... :)

There was a black one up here, but that is quite a distance to fly and then drive it home.. at least it'd be broken in by the time you got it home though.
Dana

WA 2 FST
07-09-2006, 02:54 PM
There's a number of them up here in DFW...not an abundance, but I've checked the local dealers' inventory online and there are 3-4 just in Frisco/McKinney.

99WhiteBeast
07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Eric,
Just to give you something to compare with. I found these over on NLOC.

All true blues
18k all stock $21,500
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=124740

37k with mods $22,000
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=129113

45k with custom paint,22's, and mods $25,000
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=127544

TXBLU
07-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Steve!!!!!!!!!! You da man!!!! :bows I was thinking it was worth about $20k retail.

I'm headed over to Grapevine Jeep tomorrow to drive a black one (without the rear DVD player) and see what they will offer me for my truck as a trade-in. I'm thinking the dealers will only offer around $16k for mine, which gets me to about $24k to get into an SRT without the rear DVD player.

Thursday I'm taking the truck over to Frank Parra to see what their trade-in offer is, but all they have is a red SRT, and red just doesn't work for me.

In yet another twist, the '07 GC SRT8s will have a back-up camera, remote start, tip start (You just turn the key to "start" breifly, and the starter cranks until the engine fires. This also keeps the starter from being engaged while the engine is already running), an improved (vs. the Boston Acoustics) Kicker sound system with a sub-woofer in the back, a one-touch turnsignal feature (for lane changes), and two new colors, a red and a blue. Like I said, I don't do red, and the "Steel Blue Metallic" looks like some kind of Battleship Grey. Ugh!!!!

I think I might just wait to get a black '07. Besides, I'd have to go mod -city to get the SRT to run like my Lightning does now!:burnout:

God, how I love to play with owners of new 'vettes that haven't gotten comfortable with what the 'vette will do. You can see it in their faces - "Why is that big 'ol truck still filling up my rear view mirror?!?!?!?":throw:

wesman
07-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Steve!!!!!!!!!! You da man!!!! :bows I was thinking it was worth about $20k retail.

I'm headed over to Grapevine Jeep tomorrow to drive a black one (without the rear DVD player) and see what they will offer me for my truck as a trade-in. I'm thinking the dealers will only offer around $16k for mine, which gets me to about $24k to get into an SRT without the rear DVD player.

Thursday I'm taking the truck over to Frank Parra to see what their trade-in offer is, but all they have is a red SRT, and red just doesn't work for me.

In yet another twist, the '07 GC SRT8s will have a back-up camera, remote start, tip start (You just turn the key to "start" breifly, and the starter cranks until the engine fires. This also keeps the starter from being engaged while the engine is already running), an improved (vs. the Boston Acoustics) Kicker sound system with a sub-woofer in the back, a one-touch turnsignal feature (for lane changes), and two new colors, a red and a blue. Like I said, I don't do red, and the "Steel Blue Metallic" looks like some kind of Battleship Grey. Ugh!!!!

I think I might just wait to get a black '07. Besides, I'd have to go mod -city to get the SRT to run like my Lightning does now!:burnout:

God, how I love to play with owners of new 'vettes that haven't gotten comfortable with what the 'vette will do. You can see it in their faces - "Why is that big 'ol truck still filling up my rear view mirror?!?!?!?":throw:

Keep in mind if you wait, you wont be able to take advantage of the deals they have going right now.

I wish the Challenger were being made during this event, I'd likely go pick one up.

--wes

TXBLU
07-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I hear you. I just like to have the latest and greatest, even though in a year, they'll add or change something else. Either way, I've read a lot about how the Boston Acoustics sound system isn't that good (sounds OK to me...), plus I like the tip-start and turn signal upgrades (My 645Ci has that), and it would make the wife more comfortable to have the rear camera feature.
Besides, I'm spoiled and I want to stay that way!!!knana

wesman
07-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I just like to have the latest and greatest, even though in a year, they'll add or change something else. Either way, I've read a lot about how the Boston Acoustics sound system isn't that good (sounds OK to me...), plus I like the tip-start and turn signal upgrades (My 645Ci has that), and it would make the wife more comfortable to have the rear camera feature.
Besides, I'm spoiled and I want to stay that way!!!knana

Right on!

If your gonna be pimpin, you may as well be BIG pimpin knana

--wes

TXBLU
07-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Well, I've made the decision; I ordered a black '07 Grand Cherokee SRT8 with all the options. I don't have the pricing info on it yet, but it should be delivered in October or November (Happy Birthday to me!!!) I'm sure it will get modded fairly quickly as I have become addicted to how quick my L has become. It looks like Terry will have his work cut out for him to get the Jeep to run like the L!!!!

As soon as I get a firm delivery date, I'll be putting the L up for sale. I'll hate to see it go, but I'll love getting the Jeep up to speed!!!!:burnout:

Logan
07-16-2006, 03:07 PM
You have a heck of a head start... The Jeep is a second faster than a stock L to begin with... ...and it doesn't even have a S/C yet... :)

TXBLU
07-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Key word = yet! knana

dboat
07-16-2006, 04:45 PM
You have a heck of a head start... The Jeep is a second faster than a stock L to begin with... ...and it doesn't even have a S/C yet... :)

Arent they that much faster 0-60 due to the all wheel drive, but about the same in the 1/4? also, I had heard those engines dont take to s/c very well.. the internals of the engine arent up to it.. I could be wrong on this though..

Dana

TXBLU
07-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I really have no clue as to what these engines can take. Appearantly, they are a different block casting than the 5.7 HEMI, due to the 5.7's fragile nature when bored and stroked. I have heard that the 6.1 responds well to headers, exhaust, and intake (air filter/airbox) mods.
We'll just see about that!!!:evil

Logan
07-16-2006, 05:34 PM
10.3:1 compression... But then, My marauder was 10.1:1 and I supercharged it to 14psi with a Heaton and it held up forever...

It's all in the tune mang...

SRT8 jeep is 13.1 in the quarter.

Aside from the SRT10 Viper, it's the fastest vehicle in the SRT lineup, thanks in large part to the AWD system for sure.

TXBLU
07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I drove one with only about 35 miles on it and it yanked off the line like Godzilla drop-kicked it across the intersection! That was with the traction control turned off. The front end started to hunt around a bit as the revs picked up in the first 2 gears. It also felt like it was having trouble breathing at the top of the rev range, but that could have just been because of the low mileage. Terry wants to put Nitrous on it, but I hate to think of the carnage if a fuel solenoid fails. Can you say "Ka-blamo"?

If all else fails, I guess I'll just have to buy a built motor from Hennesy.
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/ItemDetail.php?Item_ID=231&cart=mSTclkfh&DoThis=Jeep+SRT8+HEMI&ActionReq=Where

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Logan
07-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Hennessey is a F***KING crook.

dboat
07-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Hennessey is a F***KING crook.

not the first time I have heard that said.

Dana

TXBLU
07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I've always thought that where there is smoke, there's, if not actually fire, then way too much heat/friction. In regards to Hennessy, there seems to be altogether too much smoke coming from that direction for me to be comfortable. At any rate, I'll be doing all the research I can before I succumb to the urge to mod it.

If I can just get it up to about 450RWHP....:tu:

wesman
07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
not the first time I have heard that said.

Dana

I've dealt with him on a set of wheels I have now for the Viper and all I will say is his reputation is well earned :flaming:

--wes

sandpiperx
07-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Quote: Hennessey is a F***KING crook. Mr. Logan thats a pretty bold statement. What would make you say that about him /her/ it? Not looking to flame the situation just curious. thanx have a great day...mp:tu:

Mark #2
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Quote: Hennessey is a F***KING crook. Mr. Logan thats a pretty bold statement. What would make you say that about him /her/ it? Not looking to flame the situation just curious. thanx have a great day...mp:tu:
Just a place to start: search Viper Hennessey Lawsuits
http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic39700.htm

sandpiperx
07-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Mark thanx for the info I went and did some research and what really sucks I underdstand where Logan is coming from and this guy will more then likely keep getting away with it until he screws the wrong guy and gets shot in the head. have a great day. mp:tu:

Logan
07-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Just go here...

http://www.cclerk.hctx.net/coolice/default.asp?Category=CCCourtAtLaw&Service=cc_inquiry

Then type "Hennessey" in as a Defendant and your eye's will pop out of your head the number of times this guy's been sued in his home of Harris County... I stopped counting past 20, but between John P Hennessey and Hennessey Motorsports, there's over 40 for sure... His BB Report is no better, with a whoppin' total of one dispute resolved.

QDRHRSE
07-19-2006, 03:23 AM
Several years ago my friend and I raced a race called the Silver State Classic. Hennessey had 2 yellow Vipers- one with a plate that said 205mph and the other had a plate that said 215mph. They both broke.....0mph. BTW, we have done the Silver State a few times and its a load of fun. Look it up online if you don't know what it's about.