PDA

View Full Version : Performance Upgrade Questions

Lyfisin
07-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I’m not sure I’m going to do any more to my truck at least from a performance perspective, but I have questions regarding some of the things I might do. I really don’t want to do anything that will make the engine work harder, but there were three things I thought might give me a little more HP without engine mods.

I still have the stock throttle body. Changing it out would allow more air in, but at what point do you need it or would it help?
I re-read some prior posts by Wes (WA2FST) and Rob. Rob did some exhaust work and gained 15 hp. Is that a realistic gain for my truck?
Traction bars – Could someone explain to me in noob terms what these things do? I don’t understand how putting a couple of long rails underneath the truck helps you get better track times. Performance wise, my mods are the KB, pulleys (4# and 3.25) and filter if that helps.

tiffo60
07-14-2006, 11:20 AM
the traction bars are really more to prevent axle wrap witch in turn breaks ujoints and driveshafts or that was my understanding of them anyhow

wesman
07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
With long tubes and free flow cats/cat back you will easily gain 15hp.

The traction bars do prevent axle wrap, they also help with weight transfer and preventing wheel hop.

--wes

Mark #2
07-14-2006, 06:55 PM
I’m not sure I’m going to do any more to my truck at least from a performance perspective, but I have questions regarding some of the things I might do. I really don’t want to do anything that will make the engine work harder, but there were three things I thought might give me a little more HP without engine mods.

I still have the stock throttle body. Changing it out would allow more air in, but at what point do you need it or would it help?
I re-read some prior posts by Wes (WA2FST) and Rob. Rob did some exhaust work and gained 15 hp. Is that a realistic gain for my truck?
Traction bars – Could someone explain to me in noob terms what these things do? I don’t understand how putting a couple of long rails underneath the truck helps you get better track times.Performance wise, my mods are the KB, pulleys (4# and 3.25) and filter if that helps.

You already put on the most important mod, the KB, at your current boost level 14.5? Exhaust and TB would probably gain 15 Hp. IMHO.

The Metco lower traction bars make it handle more predictable by limiting the axle wrap and providing 2 more rear end locating mounts. IMHO.