PDA

View Full Version : White Van Speaker Scam

StormShadow
07-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm sure everyone has heard of this so this post is for the "new/young person". Today I was approached by 3 20 somethings in a white van while I was driving my company van. They flagged me down ( I thought they wanted directions since everyone seems to ask the phone man for directions) but as soon as I pulled over they started in with thier high pressure sales technique about selling me some home theatre speakers. I have been approached before and knew their game before they even said speakers so I told them to F* off. This is just a refresher post hoping that nobody gets ripped off by these a-holes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

Mark #2
07-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Approached me at the beer store a couple of weeks ago. Seams to reoccur every summer.

Told them no thanks I used to sell them.(not really, but they went away)

mustgofaster
07-17-2006, 05:56 PM
I was approached with that scam about 2 summers ago @ a gas station. I never realized it was such a big scam. They were pushy too... I told them that I didn't need them because I had just purcheced a set of B&W speakers. After that they tried to put more pressure on, telling me that thier speakers were better than the B&W's... Yah right! that was just the confirmation that I needed to verify that they were full of $#it.

andy_cain
07-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Hel[, sounded like a good enough deal...i bought a set:rll:
I even negotiated the price down to $300...still have them....not worth $300...but not without merrit...or at least thats how I'm justifying my purchase from 5 summers ago at Wal Mart in Plano:tu:

Mark #2
07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Hel[, sounded like a good enough deal...i bought a set:rll:
I even negotiated the price down to $300...still have them....not worth $300...but not without merrit...or at least thats how I'm justifying my purchase from 5 summers ago at Wal Mart in Plano:tu:
Take them apart about $50 worth of parts in both.

andy_cain
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
now that i look...thats' a lie...don't still have them....i gave them to the wife in the second divorce:rll: ...I kept the Sony towers:)

Silver_2000
07-17-2006, 07:19 PM
now that i look...thats' a lie...don't still have them....i gave them to the wife in the second divorce:rll: ...I kept the Sony towers:)
Either way its good to see you back around here :0fftopic

dboat
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Either way its good to see you back around here :0fftopic

+1

now if we can just talk you into going to LFest..

Kim and I are going.. all signed up got a hotel room too..
Dana

lenard_hester
07-18-2006, 08:16 AM
I had this happen years ago when I worked at JC Penney. I had no idea what was going on, but that didn't matter since I didn't have any money. After they showed me these great speakers that they "accidentally" put in their van at the shipping dock the conversation went something like this.

"I don't have any money."

"Well, can you get to an ATM?"

"I have about $100 in my bank account, will you take that for them?"

"No, I would need at least $300 to make it worth my time."

"Well, If you hold me here much longer I will have a lot less than $100, because I will be out of a job."

wesman
07-18-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm sure everyone has heard of this so this post is for the "new/young person". Today I was approached by 3 20 somethings in a white van while I was driving my company van. They flagged me down ( I thought they wanted directions since everyone seems to ask the phone man for directions) but as soon as I pulled over they started in with thier high pressure sales technique about selling me some home theatre speakers. I have been approached before and knew their game before they even said speakers so I told them to F* off. This is just a refresher post hoping that nobody gets ripped off by these a-holes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

lmao....the funniest part about this is that there's a entry about it on the wikipedia :nono: :bs :throw:

--wes

Sandman
07-18-2006, 09:14 AM
That happened to me about a year ago. I talked them down from $1500 to $200 plus the promise of buying the guy a beer if I ever saw him in a bar. Then I said no thanks and left.

FRDRCING
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
There was two guys who aproaced me a few years back same deal, diffrent company. I for one am not going to buy home theater speakers out of the back of a van:nono: .

BC Lightning
07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Got approached last summer by someone selling digital research speakers out of a suburban, told me they were the same brand as the ones hooters uses, I told him I'd give him $50 for them, and he left