PDA

View Full Version : Home AC fan motor cost?

microsuck
07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey AC guys, can yall give me an estimate on what a service call to replace a fan motor in my Carrier unit outside should cost me? I know Ron and a few other guys are in the industry. I think the sticker on the side said "Fan Motor 280-320" I dont know what that means. The AC blows, but its not cold and the unit outside keeps trying to spin up, but it just cant. Relay is working though, motor just buzzes.

Silver_2000
07-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey AC guys, can yall give me an estimate on what a service call to replace a fan motor in my Carrier unit outside should cost me? I know Ron and a few other guys are in the industry. I think the sticker on the side said "Fan Motor 280-320" I dont know what that means. The AC blows, but its not cold and the unit outside keeps trying to spin up, but it just cant. Relay is working though, motor just buzzes.

call rons office
http://www.planoair.com/
972-527-3840

They can get you a quote

Doug

Tex Arcana
07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Adam the Answerman is your huckleberry, you can get the motor and install it yourself:
11620 Plano Rd # 8
Dallas, TX 75243
(214) 553-5450

03LightningRocks
07-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Hey Andrew. The number you gave off the motor doesn't sound right. The rest of the number must be worn off. The problem may or may not be the motor. It could be a capacitor. It could also be a contactor not making a good connection. Are you sure the compressor is running? If it is and has been doing this alot, the compressor could be getting over heated. Don't keep letting it run that way.

We are running a special right now on our diagnosis fee. If you let us do the repair, the diagnosis fee is waved. You also can rest assured of a true professional making a proper diagnosis and a repair that will be backed up by a professional HVAC company. Doug posted our phone number above. The warranty on a fan motor replacement is one year parts and labor. If that is the problem.

Rocks (Ron)

Silver_2000
07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey Andrew. The number you gave off the motor doesn't sound right. The rest of the number must be worn off. The problem may or may not be the motor. It could be a capacitor. It could also be a contactor not making a good connection. Are you sure the compressor is running? If it is and has been doing this alot, the compressor could be getting over heated. Don't keep letting it run that way.

We are running a special right now on our diagnosis fee. If you let us do the repair, the diagnosis fee is waved. You also can rest assured of a true professional making a proper diagnosis and a repair that will be backed up by a professional HVAC company. Doug posted our phone number above. The warranty on a fan motor replacement is one year parts and labor. If that is the problem.

Rocks (Ron)

In my case I was burning out contactors at this time of the year ... Twice

Before I got the pros to put in some quality equipment

microsuck
07-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Good info to know. Thanks guys. Actually I remembered I got a 3 year home warranty when I bought the house. All appliances and systems are covered. The tech is coming out tomorrow and all I have to shell out is the $45 co-pay. :)

gbgary
07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Good info to know. Thanks guys. Actually I remembered I got a 3 year home warranty when I bought the house. All appliances and systems are covered. The tech is coming out tomorrow and all I have to shell out is the $45 co-pay. :)

gooooood luck with all that!! homeowner's warranties are cool for everything except a/c. the list is long of the people they have f'ed-over!! i'll bet they find some reason NOT to fix it tomorrow.

Sandman
07-24-2006, 10:57 PM
gooooood luck with all that!! homeowner's warranties are cool for everything except a/c. the list is long of the people they have f'ed-over!! i'll bet they find some reason NOT to fix it tomorrow.

+1. Don't be suprised if it takes longer than they estimate. If they have cash customers, they will be put first. Oh, watch them if they want to bring something up to code. Make sure that it is not already up to code.

L8 APEX
07-24-2006, 11:20 PM
The first company I worked for got rich off home warranty service. We voided pretty much any claim against A/C repair if the system was dirty. They pretty much had to show proof of or buy a maintenance agreement on the system. Kind of like going to Ford for a new engine and not having your oil change receipts. Of course some may do it but they won't stay in business at $45 a call.

microsuck
07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Good, I will be on the lookout for fishy business. Havent had a claim before.................

microsuck
07-26-2006, 10:51 AM
They said I have to install a Disconnect Box outside for the Condenser (as per Code) before they will install a new fan motor, So my scam meter went off. It wasnt required when the house was built...... They said I am welcome to have someone else do it. I figure if they were scammin me, they would have insisted that THEY install it. Next question, I've wired a few 110v stuff before, lights, fans, etc..... Do you guys think I can just buy a metal disconnect box with a throw lever, bolt it to the bricks, and run the wires in and out of it myself? No permitting pulling or inspecting.

SILVER2000SVT
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Yes you can install the box yourself, but not legally. But you aren't even supposed to replace a plug outlet in your home without a permit and a licensed electrician in Texas. The AC people aren't going to go check for a permit. Just make sure to get a NEMA 3R rated box for outside use. You can buy them at lowes or home depot setup with a two pole breaker and everything. That would probably be the easiest thing to do. You might also need some conduit and fittings to complete the job. Just make sure the box and breaker is rated to at least handle the load of the condenser. Usually 40-60 amps depending on the size, it should say on the side of the condenser.

Silver_2000
07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Yes you can install the box yourself, but not legally. But you aren't even supposed to replace a plug outlet in your home without a permit and a licensed electrician in Texas.

You cant replace a plug ?? In your own house ??

Since when ?

Silver_2000
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Sec. 28-111. License--Required.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to install electric wiring or apparatus or to make any repairs, alterations or changes to electric wiring or apparatus used in connection with electric lighting, heating, power or signage unless such person shall have previously obtained a master or journeyman electrician license, or residential wireman's license, or master or journeyman sign electrician's license from the building official of the city or unless such person is a bona fide employee working under the directsupervision of a licensed electrician or a licensed residential wireman or a licensed sign electrician or unless such person is performing electrical work in a building owned or occupied by such person as homestead property.

SILVER2000SVT
07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
You cant replace a plug ?? In your own house ??

Since when ?

It's been that way for several years. It may vary depending on the city but I don't think that much. Here's the form for Mansfield. $0.60 per outlet, $30 per motor, ect... plus a $30 permit issuance fee. This is standard for most all cities. Yes, it's a load of crap...

http://www.mansfield-tx.gov/efiles/Departments/Building%20Services/Permit%20Applications/ElectricalPermitApp.pdf

03LightningRocks
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
You can do electrical work on your own stuff without having a license. This doesn't mean you don't have to pull a permit. Nobody(licensed electricians included) would pull a permit to put a disconnect on the wall.

As a sidebar. That company is focking with you. The game is to find any possible reason to not do the warranty work. The guy that came out there may not be trying to fock you, but their company policy is. That is BULLSH!T about not working on your unit because of it not being up to code. Your sh!t is grandfathered in and is only required to be brought up to code if the unit is being replaced.

It is however, a good idea to have a disconnect on the unit.

03LightningRocks
07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
The home warranty game is a scam as far as HVAC goes. The company that comes to your home has to find additional(non-covered) work in order to make a living. That is the gravy. The warranty company pays squawt to the HVAC companies for in warranty work. Get it guys? One must find items to repair that are not covered or one goes out of business. They are trained to look for non-covered items and use the warranty coverage as leverage to make you do the extra repairs.

microsuck
07-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I was pretty sure about they were just giving me a hard time. I knew if it needed one, it would have had one when it was built, but, its old enough not to need one. I dont mind doing it (myself), because like Rocks said, its prob a good idea.

microsuck
07-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I know that song and dance, trust me. I did service calls (computer) for 2 years. Its the same. Except computers break more often........ I know how those guys think, so I can mess with them and their logic when they try to pull that BS.

Unfortunately Amy is the one thats home and she will believe anything you tell her........ Service techs LOVE those kind of people. "Yeah, your flux capicator in your condenser was overloaded with 1.21 gigawatts of current on the primary breakers, I'm going to have to replace the whole darn thing......" that kind of crap...

Tex Arcana
07-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Andrew, yer not a dumb guy, you can do this yourself. Call Adam the Answerman, give him the make and model, he'll sell you the motor for a little bit of nothin', and even tell you how to replace it, which is dead easy. :cool:

Tex Arcana
07-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Who's your warranty outfit? Shoot me a PM and let me know, pls.

SILVER2000SVT
07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
...unless such person is performing electrical work in a building owned or occupied by such person as homestead property.

I guess it depends on the city. I just did a search for this in my city's codes and I don't have this exception. However, this requirement is not strictly enforced just because they know it's ridiculous to think you would need a permit and electrician to do simple repair like that. But the law is there in some of these cities so that they can stick it to you if they ever want to for some reason.

Silver_2000
07-26-2006, 03:27 PM
the fact that you need a permit has NOTHING to do with WHO can do the work

The permit is for ADDING an outlet NOT for replacing

look at municode.com ( mansfield is not listed )
http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=43&pid=10644
from Carrolltons code

(h) Homeowner's right. Nothing herein shall prohibit any home owner from personally installing electrical conductors or equipment within his own homestead premises; providing that the owner applies for and secures a permit; pays required fees; does work in accordance with this chapter; requests inspections of his work during the process of the installation; and receives final approval of his work upon completion.

It would be un enforceable to prevent homeowners from working on their own stuff

But you are right Mansfield is crazy with regs and fees

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/mansfield/cityofmansfieldtexascodeofordinances?f=templates$f n=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:mansfield_tx$anc=

Mark #2
07-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Nobody can be worse than Richardson and I wired my entire shop, including a new sub-box. It is no big deal to pull a permit, just have to have inspector come by once or twice.

03LightningRocks
07-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Andrew, yer not a dumb guy, you can do this yourself.

So if a person can't do this themselves, this makes them a dumb guy?

gbgary
07-26-2006, 08:50 PM
They said I have to install a Disconnect Box outside for the Condenser (as per Code) before they will install a new fan motor,

i knew they would find some reason not to fix it. so how many days have you been without air now? the next thing they will tell you is that "the condenser coil is dirty and that's why the motor failed. that poor/improper maintenance lead to the failure and that the repair isn't covered."

microsuck
07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, I lucked out. I just finished installing the disconnect box and WALLA, the fan motor works now. Weird........... cool inside again. Maybe it just overheated???? I did notice that the ground wire wasnt hooked up inside the condenser, but it shouldnt have made a difference (I hooked it up)

gbgary
07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, I lucked out. I just finished installing the disconnect box and WALLA, the fan motor works now. Weird........... cool inside again. Maybe it just overheated????

cool! watch it close for a while though. it'll probably overheat again (bad bearings) and cut-off on you.

microsuck
07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, that sucks, it was good while it lasted. At least i got an hour of air. I was outside cleaning up all my tools and noticed it was wobbling, then it locked up. darn.

Silver_2000
07-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Andrew, yer not a dumb guy, you can do this yourself. Call Adam the Answerman, give him the make and model, he'll sell you the motor for a little bit of nothin', and even tell you how to replace it, which is dead easy. :cool:

Tex

We got it you like adam the answerman - :rolleyes:

While you are beating that dead horse dont forget that one of our own runs a sucessfull AC company in Plano.

Doug

Mark #2
07-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Tex

While you are beating that dead horse dont forget that one of our own runs a sucessfull AC company in Plano.

Doug

+1 call, fixed my old system up twice.

Tex Arcana
07-27-2006, 04:47 PM
So if a person can't do this themselves, this makes them a dumb guy?
Can you do it yourself?? ;)

Tex Arcana
07-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Tex

Doug
I wouldn't know, I couldn't ever get him or his outfit to return my calls, and the couple of friends I've sent his way ended up elsewhere becasue he priced himself out of contention. :confused:

Silver_2000
07-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't know, I couldn't ever get him or his outfit to return my calls, and the couple of friends I've sent his way ended up elsewhere becasue he priced himself out of contention. :confused:

If they were looking for adam the answer man prices it all makes sense..

How would you like it if I started bad mouthing you and your business here and was telling people REPEATEDLY to go elsewhere ?

Mark #2
07-27-2006, 06:45 PM
All that I would like to say is that I am very pleased with the service from Ron's business.

I have dealt with a lot of repair services over the years and Ron's personnel are far and above the best.

Polite, hard working, responsive, clean, very professional.

This is from Mr. Anal that is so fed up with the plumbing industry that I am air chiseling my own shower out.

Off the soap box.

dboat
07-27-2006, 07:30 PM
All that I would like to say is that I am very pleased with the service from Ron's business.

I have dealt with a lot of repair services over the years and Ron's personnel are far and above the best.

Polite, hard working, responsive, clean, very professional.

This is from Mr. Anal that is so fed up with the plumbing industry that I am air chiseling my own shower out.

Off the soap box.

This was my experience as well.. His group had to replace my whole two systems in my house..
Dana

Tex Arcana
07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
If they were looking for adam the answer man prices it all makes sense..

How would you like it if I started bad mouthing you and your business here and was telling people REPEATEDLY to go elsewhere ?
First off, I have never said ANYTHING remotely negative about ron's business until today; and all I did was relate what was told to me by people I know and trust. In his shoes, I certainly would want to know that, if only to figure out if there is anything to do to correct the situation. And of the people I know, I'm one of the VERY vew who would even attempt to repair something like that myself, have done so before in the past, and Adam the Answeman was a very valuable resource; and if I can help someone who can't afford a professional's help, I'm going to help them.

Second off, you and others here already bad-mouth me; it's no secret that Rocks hates me, and never misses an opportunity to throw me under the bus; and that you back him for wahtever twisted reasons you have. Just because you, him, and whoever else that's in your little clique, can't handle people expressing opposing opinions to your own ain't my problem: I have always been open with my thoughts and opinions, I call it like I see it, and I have the balls to stand up and say "I'm wrong" when I'm shown to be wrong.

If any of you can't handle that, I'm sorry, but you *will* get over it before your azzholes grow shut.

As for the rest: if you've taken the time to actually get to know me, then I need say nothing else.

:banned

Silver_2000
07-27-2006, 08:40 PM
First off, I have never said ANYTHING remotely negative about ron's business until today; and all I did was relate what was told to me by people I know and trust. In his shoes, I certainly would want to know that, if only to figure out if there is anything to do to correct the situation. And of the people I know, I'm one of the VERY vew who would even attempt to repair something like that myself, have done so before in the past, and Adam the Answeman was a very valuable resource; and if I can help someone who can't afford a professional's help, I'm going to help them.

Second off, you and others here already bad-mouth me; it's no secret that Rocks hates me, and never misses an opportunity to throw me under the bus; and that you back him for wahtever twisted reasons you have. Just because you, him, and whoever else that's in your little clique, can't handle people expressing opposing opinions to your own ain't my problem: I have always been open with my thoughts and opinions, I call it like I see it, and I have the balls to stand up and say "I'm wrong" when I'm shown to be wrong.

If any of you can't handle that, I'm sorry, but you *will* get over it before your azzholes grow shut.

As for the rest: if you've taken the time to actually get to know me, then I need say nothing else.

:banned

Since he specifcally asked for service call info and specifically asked about Rons business why are you surprised we offered the contact info ?Seems you are being intentionally antaonisitic to repeatedly suggest something opposite from what he requested that is simultaneously taking a back handed shot at a long standing member here.

Im surprised that with all the contrary opinions that you like to post that you cant stand a little freindly opposition. I never bad mouthed you and its not a you against me thing. Its simply that we disagree on occasion and like you, Im not afraid to express my dissenting opinion. Unfortunately when I disagree Im instantly branded an ******* ... Very nice.. :nono:

Rocks has repaired my AC and the AC of many of the club members here. He and his company are seen as an asset ( by me ) to the club. Common courtesy would say that when given the chance you offfer to help a fellow lightning brothers business. At least dont run it down publicly.

And of the people I know, I'm one of the VERY vew who would even attempt to repair something like that myself, have done so before in the past, and Adam the Answeman was a very valuable resource; and if I can help someone who can't afford a professional's help, I'm going to help them. I know there are quite a few here who COULD do a fan replacement but many WOULDNT, they simply call an expert. Its these kinds of comments that might get people lined against you. Its as if you are saying that no one but you could do it...

You expect me to be a dick and I expect you to come up with some off the wall, half baked, left fiield, conspiracy theory.. Everyones expectations are met ... :evil :evil
This is the Internet - dont let it get to you-

Tex Arcana
07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Im surprised that with all the contrary opinions that you like to post that you cant stand a little freindly opposition. I never bad mouthed you and its not a you against me thing. Its simply that we disagree on occasion and like you, Im not afraid to express my dissenting opinion. Unfortunately when I disagree Im instantly branded an ******* ... Very nice.. :nono:

Rocks has repaired my AC and the AC of many of the club members here. He and his company are seen as an asset ( by me ) to the club. Common courtesy would say that when given the chance you offfer to help a fellow lightning brothers business. At least dont run it down publicly.

I know there are quite a few here who COULD do a fan replacement but many WOULDNT, they simply call an expert. Its these kinds of comments that might get people lined against you. Its as if you are saying that no one but you could do it...

This is the Internet - dont let it get to you

:bows: Very good... you took the high-road. My hat is off to you.:beer:

Please, for the record, note that I said, "Of the people I know...". This doesn't cast an aspersions upon anyone at all: those who wouldn't attempt it, readily admit such, and usually call me for at least an opinion before doing anything. And those people have skills that far exceed mine in their areas of expertise, which works out well for me, if I ever need them. ;)

fake edit: hell, I admit it, I *am* a bast4rd most of the time, and alot of people can't stand that I won't blow sunshine up their azzes or won't try to figure out what they had for breakfast the hard way; and to them I throw a hearty "F.U.", because these days, I just don't give a flying fock anymore, I'll do what I do, and that's that. :evil

Silver_2000
07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
:bows: Very good... you took the high-road. My hat is off to you.:beer:

Go back and reread.. I veered a little off ... :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil

Tex Arcana
07-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Go back and reread.. I veered a little off ... :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil
Ah, you :ninja:'d on me while I was making my reply... :nono: :banned

Basdatidge. :tongue:

gbgary
07-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Well, that sucks, it was good while it lasted. At least i got an hour of air. I was outside cleaning up all my tools and noticed it was wobbling, then it locked up. darn.

you up and runnin' yet...what's happened?

Sandman
07-27-2006, 11:19 PM
:popcorn

Silver_2000
07-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Where is the popcorn smily?
:popcorn

Just click MORE:threadhijack

03LightningRocks
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
LOL.... Tex reminds me of an old saying. It is better to keep your mouth shut and allow people to wonder if you are ignorant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.