PDA

View Full Version : F1's - tire balance issue

rickgig
08-03-2006, 08:05 AM
This is easily my 5th set of tires but I must admit, I've lost count.

I bought this set during the drought of F1's and it took several weeks to get all four even though I bought them from Discount Tire (DT).

I've them balanced several times and I still have a problem at about 65 - 75 mph. DT actually replaced one since it took too much weight to even get it close.

Today I am going to rotate tires on the driver's side since it seams the vibration is in the steering wheel and it's felt in the seat.

I bought the road hazard warranty (first time) since I live in Frisco and the construction is at an all time high (although nothing has happened that I'd need it yet).

Here's my question: Has anyone else experienced this problem with F1's and what did you do to correct it (besides getting another brand tire)?

I don't recall the problem from my previous sets although seeing how the vehicle is a truck I kind of expect a less than smooth ride. I recently went on two long trips one in a 2006 Explorer and the other in a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT truck. Bother of those were butter smooth up to 85mph.

Silver_2000
08-03-2006, 09:06 AM
get a "road force" balance and have them rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees
F1's are not that tough to balance if you have the skills and tools
Road force is a bar that presses on the tire while its spins
Doug

rickgig
08-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Cool... road force it is. Hopefully this will work.

PoorSvtman
08-03-2006, 04:04 PM
the machines they have can tell them how much to turn the tire. basicly it tells you to mark a spot on the rim then mark a spot on the tire and then line up the marks... Its not hard to do just more work and time consuming.. When i worked at the dealership i always did this. Did it to my tires and have yet to need to reballance them after a year or so

mustgofaster
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
get a "road force" balance and have them rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees
F1's are not that tough to balance if you have the skills and tools
Road force is a bar that presses on the tire while its spins
Doug

+1 on the road force test. GoodYears are known for this. My dad threw his nearly new GoodYears in the trash after fighting with them for too long.

01WhiteFlash
08-03-2006, 07:39 PM
If they don't get it right, see what it will take to replace the tires under your warranty certificates. I recently replaced (at discount tires) some brand x for Michelin on my daily F150 driver under my warranty. Well worth the money on my part. If you have the warranty certs on the FI's you should come out pretty good for new tires.

gbgary
08-03-2006, 07:47 PM
i took mine to discount tire for the road-force balance and they discovered one of my tires was bad. replaced it under the goodyear warranty.

02SVTKID
08-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey yea get them road force tested i work at discount tire at the one in mansfield and we have a balancer set up specialy for that. I had a guy bring me his Evo 8 wheels for road corse racing and we spun them on the road force balancer and he was very pleased. It could be somethin simple as the person balancing just did a chitty job or your rim could actually be ovaled and it wouldnt matter what type of balance you had at a certain mph it would vibrate. Just my two.

rickgig
08-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Good stuff y'all. I'll let you know next week when I have a chance to get it done.

dboat
08-04-2006, 04:55 AM
Hey yea get them road force tested i work at discount tire at the one in mansfield and we have a balancer set up specialy for that. I had a guy bring me his Evo 8 wheels for road corse racing and we spun them on the road force balancer and he was very pleased. It could be somethin simple as the person balancing just did a chitty job or your rim could actually be ovaled and it wouldnt matter what type of balance you had at a certain mph it would vibrate. Just my two.

I agree with David.. also check the rims.. I had one that got out of round..

when I got my new rims, the tire dealer did a runout inspection on them and found one with a problem before it even got a tire on it.. sent it back and got another one that was good.
Dana